Pathfinder's 100,000 (Cert.) Miles in 1 Year Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Tony! Helluva accomplishment! I believe you (once verified blah blah) now hold the 30 day record!
default_smile.png

This is your thread Tony, and an FJR forum, but..... since you asked, the Goldwing was great. I never rode the older generation Wing, but it seems plenty sporty enough for me. First BBG on the new bike is done.

Tony reported having trailer tire trouble on the way home in the FL panhandle. Hope he's made it home by now

Update: Trying to get overheating issues taken care of now at home.Looks like I will sacrifice a BBG this weekend for a thermostat check.
Check the radiator fins for crud. Bug guts are good insulators! Soak it well (keeping it wet for a half hour or more to soften them up) and flush back to front using a medium hard jet from a hose. A pressure washer will flatten fins and ruin the rad.

You are sure that coolant is fully topped off and the radiator is full? There can be fluid in the overflow tank and not suck back into the rad as it cools if there is a pinhole or kink in the rubber hose that runs to the bottom of the overflow tank. I have also seen collapsed rubber hoses.

Make sure that the radiator cap is fully and completely locked in place and is holding pressure as it should. Engine will overheat and coolant will be lost to a loose or defective cap problem. In addition, if a loose or leaking cap does not let vacuum develop in the radiator as it cools, fluid from the overflow won't get sucked back either.

I assume that the water pump is working OK. If they are bad, they tend to leak!

By all means, check the thermostat as well!

Good luck - hope you get back on the road soon! (I doubt I will make more than 20,000 miles this season - probably my worst in the last decade!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!

I removed the canyon cage and side panel. It became obvious that the blown coolant had not come from the fill cap, but from the reservoir. The reservoir had stains which looked to be its level (With the side panel on) The reservoir was actually empty. I followed the blown coolant stains back to the edge of the reservoir to find a crack. I filled the reservoir only to have the coolant leak as fast as it was filling.

I ordered a new reservoir. I am cleaning the blown mess off the bike now. (It blew out on the ride down from Iowa)

I may try to mend the crack while I await the arrival of the new reservoir. 10 days?

... now what did I do with that gorilla tape...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!I removed the canyon cage and side panel. It became obvious that the blown coolant had not come from the fill cap, but from the reservoir. The reservoir had stains which looked to be its level (With the side panel on) The reservoir was actually empty. I followed the blown coolant stains back to the edge of the reservoir to find a crack. I filled the reservoir only to have the coolant leak as fast as it was filling.

I ordered a new reservoir. I am cleaning the blown mess off the bike now. (It blew out on the ride down from Iowa)

I may try to mend the crack while I await the arrival of the new reservoir. 10 days

... now what did I do with that gorilla tape...
Pretty common for Gen II expansion tanks

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/144039-what-did-you-do-to-your-fjr-today/page-383?do=findComment&comment=1422329

(I assumed that the level in the expansion tank was the first thing checked)

Karma. You traitorous bastard punting your poor, faithful Gen I for that lowly POS Gen II that has given you nothing but grief!

I have to agree (In Part)

She does have 216k on her clock though.

I was lured to a gen 2 AFTER I witnessed a faithful Gen 1 rider make the switch. That rider was from AZ too…