Pathfinder's 100,000 (Cert.) Miles in 1 Year Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karma. You traitorous bastard punting your poor, faithful Gen I for that lowly POS Gen II that has given you nothing but grief!

I have to agree (In Part)

She does have 216k on her clock though.

I was lured to a gen 2 AFTER I witnessed a faithful Gen 1 rider make the switch. That rider was from AZ too…

Uhhh.... that faithful Gen I rider from Arizona who made the switch STILL has a Gen I in the garage that he rides regularly. Karma is in balance in MY garage my POS Gen II challenged friend. Even more so since I punted that POS Gen II of mine to Europe where it will be exiled for quite some time..... Just a Gen I and Gen III there now.

And if ever there was an idiot who should be using a car tire, his name would be Tony! JSNS. Finally about to wear out my General G-Max with 40k miles on it. You must be a sadist and like changing rear tires. How many have you had to do in the last year?

After running a car tire to Alaska and back (and through Montana and Wyoming) I strongly suggest giving it a try.

Before this ride I swore I'd never do it

I'm sold for long distance stuff.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be done with cert. rides when I complete the Winter Solstice ride in December... so its to late for me to go darkside. I gave myself 10 years to ride certs, this is my 10th year, so this is it. I do not need a car tire to flower sniff, anyone who needs a car tire isnt flower sniffing.

Yes that was directed at you SkooterG, you are still an LD rider whether or not you admit it. I plan on removing my fuel cell and relaxing soon. BUTT, I need to wear this POS gen 2 out so I can move on to a gen 3!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your doing a dam good job at it my friend. Let me know how that flower sniffing goes. If you can find a way to slow down on an FJR let me know.

Dave

After running a car tire to Alaska and back (and through Montana and Wyoming) I strongly suggest giving it a try.Before this ride I swore I'd never do it

I'm sold for long distance stuff.

Canadian FJR
I mounted a brand new Yokohama Envigor prior to this years IBR (which included Alaska and many miles of gravel construction zones). It was almost at the wear bars when I got home (15K miles, I typically get close to 25K on a CT). I might have needed 2 rear tire changes if I had a MT mounted. I won't try to convince anybody, but I'm sold as well for LD riding.

This is my 3rd weekend in a row without a BBG. This is NOT good. Today I removed the fuel cell and replaced broken/burned out bulbs on the bike. (I told you I travelled some rough roads!) my reservoir is scheduled for delivery on Monday, so next weekend I should be back on the road again... just 3 BBGs behind schedule.

Any news? Alls quiet. Is the 08 back up and running?
Dave
I rode with Tony last weekend and unfortunately, he was unable to complete the ride. I felt terrible leaving a partner, but two of us limping his bike home wouldn't have made any difference. Tony was able to ride a few miles - stop to cool the engine - and carry on, eventually making it home. He still has the goal of completing the 100,000mi year

And he thanked you, Jim, every time he stopped and his bike restarted and didn't spray rusty coolant everywhere!  Tony must've been playing with dash switches too.  I'd look back and headlights and aux lights would be going on and off, lol.  I swear I saw him using that bright ass map reading light to illuminate deer on the side of Interstate 10.  Tony finally completed his 50th BBG of THIS YEAR!!!  Congrats Tony!!!  He's still got a lot of work left to do to finish the year out though - it ain't gonna get any easier

If you haven’t figured it out with the previous 2 posts, I have purchased Jim’s (fljab) ‘09. I have to thank Dan for getting me through #50 this year. It was not smooth by any standard. 

Riding without aux tank (Probably for the remainder of the year) I need to ride 17 more BBGs in 2019. Going to be a challenge for sure...

And he thanked you, Jim, every time he stopped and his bike restarted and didn't spray rusty coolant everywhere!  Tony must've been playing with dash switches too.  I'd look back and headlights and aux lights would be going on and off, lol.  I swear I saw him using that bright ass map reading light to illuminate deer on the side of Interstate 10.
Yeah, that bike has some gizmos on it.  I was going to strip some of that off and give him a stream lined version, but time was too short to make that happen.  Hopefully the old bike has enough miles left in it to get him through the rest of his 100K yr.  I think it will. Except for tire issues on the road, it's never let me down in the 121K miles I owned it.

So is the 08 down and out now? Parts bike?

Best of luck to finish your goal.

Dave
No, but I couldn’t keep missing rides. I actually went into a fuller panic than has come to the surface on this post. I imagine the truth will come out soon enough.

The ‘08 just needs some maintenance time. I believe I found the overheating issue, and it is an easy fix. The first of the year I will concentrate on maintenance on all of my bikes. I hope to be selling at least 2 of them.