Phantom Blue Matte Paint encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice lookin bike W. I might have to go to the MC show later this week just to see the color in person

Damn, fellas.... perhaps I should put that sticker back on, I wasn't aware of its critical importance!

Well.... no.
rolleyes.gif
Well after all you did just start riding like one of those yesterdays, ..... and a few of us have been around long enuf for that sometimers to be kickin in.
not_i.gif
uhoh.gif

I like the color. Thanks for the report. I would have removed my bag reflectors, but I found they serve a purpose. When I got contacted by a van, the reflector prevented damage. I was surprised it didn’t fall off. Looks better without though.

The sticker is supposed to be relocated to the very top of the windshield, don't ya know?

.. on a related note, those stupid stickers on the sun visor in cars, I heard that someone ordered replacements at a dealership, and they would not sell them to him unless the stickers were re-applied.

Re-covering most visors is a lot easier than, say, installing a new seat cover.. in case you were wondering..

I like the color. Thanks for the report. I would have removed my bag reflectors, but I found they serve a purpose. When I got contacted by a van, the reflector prevented damage. I was surprised it didn’t fall off. Looks better without though.
Hmmm... new product idea - bag sliders?

Nice lookin bike W. I might have to go to the MC show later this week just to see the color in person
Damn, fellas.... perhaps I should put that sticker back on, I wasn't aware of its critical importance!

Well.... no.
rolleyes.gif
Well after all you did just start riding like one of those yesterdays, ..... and a few of us have been around long enuf for that sometimers to be kickin in.
not_i.gif
uhoh.gif
I was at the New York show this past weekend and I did not see a 2018 FJR. They had a 2017 on display.

Well.... no.
rolleyes.gif
not_i.gif
uhoh.gif
I was at the New York show this past weekend and I did not see a 2018 FJR. They had a 2017 on display.
It did look sort of lonely sitting there by itself. Although on the plus side it did appear they might be targeting a younger demographic.
smile.png

IMG_20171201_163436496.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Well.... no.
rolleyes.gif
not_i.gif
uhoh.gif
It did look sort of lonely sitting there by itself. Although on the plus side it did appear they might be targeting a younger demographic.
smile.png

IMG_20171201_163436496.jpg

I went on Saturday this year. I figured you would be there on Friday as usual. There were more people on Saturday and a few were looking at the old FJR, but not many.

I did see some matte paint on various motorcycles around the show.

Love the color! Reminds me of a high dollar bowling ball...Still not enough to get me back out there. Might need to look for a matte galaxy blue trials bike to ride through my creek and over logs for while...

Thanks for posting. Will remove the sticker when mine arrives. Even though I DO think the bags look better "clean", the angel on my left shoulder may convince me to keep the reflectors. Will see whenever mine arrives!!! Guess mine's on the second boat from Japan.....

When my 14 was still in its infancy, my wife and I had stopped at a local BBQ joint for lunch and a flock of pirates descended on the moto parking section. Some middle aged estrogen enhanced hardly rider attempted to pull into the adjacent space but she couldnt seem to keep her hog up. When she laid it down it whacked the bag reflector and knocked it clear off without touching the rest of the bike.

The funny part of the story was that all her male friends ran over to levitate her chromed out noise maker and were all concerned about it, but not a one of them, including the rider, asked me if my sparkling new beauty was ok. I guess a jap bike isnt worth anything except acting as a cushion for a real bike.

Being a confirmed geek I stuck the reflector back on when I got home using 3M double-sided foam tape. After all, the red reflector sort of matches the rest of the bike. ;)

FWIW, I use a large pair of Channelocks and just twist them off. I tape a strip of aluminum flashing to each jaw so the jaw teeth won't leave makes on the reflector body. A rag with a bit of naptha removes any leftover glue residue.

Okay, that is fuckin' hot. I didn't think I was going to like it, but that is just way too cool.

Very nice, looking forward to getting mine in January.

What did you end up using to clean the matte?

Canadian FJR

WOW... that beautiful, and the seat looks kiss ass comfortable. OEM???
Oh, no....that's about $1K of custom-seatmaking you see here. The pillion seat is by Rich's Custom Seat; he is located on the Olympic Peninsula. The pilot seat is from Rick Mayer Saddles, who is no longer in business.

What did you end up using to clean the matte?
So far. the only three items I've tried on this matte paint with good results are:

• a 50/50 solution of 70% Isopropyl alcohol and water
  • Honda Spray polish
  • Plexus.

Sargent is having a Secret Santa sale, about $85 off a set of their Sports Performance custom seats for the FJR. Coupon code: SANTA-17. I ordered mine...

Dan