Phantom Blue Matte Paint encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 2-wire glove-box circuit has proven itself to be extremely useful. Just not in the way Yamaha intended.

Once the dash pieces are removed, you can see the glove-box circuit has a nice easy-to-disconnect connector approximately 6" away from the glove box. So I snip the wires ~ 2" away from the glove box, so it's an easy reconnect if I decided to trade-in in the future. Now I have a reliable and moderately powerful (10-amp circuit) switch source. Not only does it serve as the signal source for the Bosch relay (which lights up the Heat-Troller and, soon, newer aux lights), I am letting this same circuit power the Garmin as well. The Garmin draws a piddley amount of power, so I am not really stressing this 10-amp circuit very much.

On my trade-in GenIII bike, I actually removed the glove box female plug altogether, and run wire harnesses through the resulting hole, used to feed two other, more sizable relays for the Clearwater Kistas and LEDRider LX4 lamps. I won't be running either one of those lamp setups on the matte blue FJR, so the glove box OEM connector remains for now.

I've already procured a set of Garauld brackets, but it is possible I won't use them, I might go with a different attachment method (I can't really tell yet until the new aux lamps arrive). If I do, I'll offer these brackets to the forum at a kick-ass price:

bracket1.jpg

bracket2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That 2-wire glove-box circuit has proven itself to be extremely useful. Just not in the way Yamaha intended.
Once the dash pieces are removed, you can see the glove-box circuit has a nice easy-to-disconnect connector approximately 6" away from the glove box. So I snip the wires ~ 2" away from the glove box, so it's an easy reconnect if I decided to trade-in in the future. Now I have a reliable and moderately powerful (10-amp circuit) switch source. Not only does it serve as the signal source for the Bosch relay (which lights up the Heat-Troller and, soon, newer aux lights), I am letting this same circuit power the Garmin as well. The Garmin draws a piddley amount of power, so I am not really stressing this 10-amp circuit very much.

That glove-box circuit is fused at 3 amps, not 10 amps. Ok for satnav and relay coil as you say you are using it, but not much else (you'd probably have to disconnect the satnav if you want to charge a phone from it).

Yeah, 3 amps, okay, whatever. I've never really checked it since I only use it for signal voltage for relays.

Fortunately, that's more than plenty for the Garmin. And, truth be told.... I don't even use the Garmin that much anymore. More than anything else, it's used as a mile countdown unit.

I've already procured a set of Garauld brackets, but it is possible I won't use them, I might go with a different attachment method (I can't really tell yet until the new aux lamps arrive). If I do, I'll offer these brackets to the forum at a kick-ass price:

What lamps are you looking at?

I didnt think you were going to want/need auxiliary lighting on this new beast.

Canadian FJR

What lamps are you looking at?

They are the brand new LX3 lamps from LEDRider.com. They are significantly more bright than the LX4 lamps we've been using for quite a while, but they are only slightly larger, and just a pinch heavier. This photo makes them look huge, but they are only a 2.3" diameter:

lx3.jpg

ix30-3_b362b05ba04cd65abf6319b997b441f9.jpg

I didnt think you were going to want/need auxiliary lighting on this new beast.

Well, that's pretty accurate, truth be told.

This FJR will never be pressed into LD duties; it is primarily a wife-carrying machine. And while it happens, it's rare that we are riding in darkness during the summer months.

Still.... there may be the rare occasion I would find myself wanting them. But the days of dangling multiple lamps, huge Clearwaters, etc are over for me. In fact, I'll be selling my set of Clearwater Krista lamps here shortly.

Ive got the monster LD5s. Not sure if they are going on the new one or not. Ill have to see how they look. Kinda hoping that I wont need them.

Canadian FJR

WOW... that beautiful, and the seat looks kiss ass comfortable. OEM???
Oh, no....that's about $1K of custom-seatmaking you see here. The pillion seat is by Rich's Custom Seat; he is located on the Olympic Peninsula. The pilot seat is from Rick Mayer Saddles, who is no longer in business.

What did you end up using to clean the matte?
So far. the only three items I've tried on this matte paint with good results are:

• a 50/50 solution of 70% Isopropyl alcohol and water
  • Honda Spray polish
  • Plexus.
I think Rich's Custom Seat is in Kingston, WA which is on the north end of the Kitsap Peninsula unless he has moved his shop further west.

I had my Matte Blue encounter last tuesday.

Spent two days 'farkling' and today I finally took it out for a decent ride...

Matt_Blue.jpg

Some farkles:

Replaced the tiny standard horn:

Claxons.jpg

Installed custom made navigation mount:

Navigatie.jpg

Installed risers (after painting them black)

Travelcomfort.jpg

Installed my old clutch and brake levers:

Handle.jpg

Errr, radiator guard is another farkle, is now serving on FJR no 3.

And no, EU FJR comes with the standard blue cases. These city cases I already built for my previous (black) FJR for everyday use. I just kept them: black fits the new Matte Blue just fine.

Other farkles:

- painted the new top cases carrier black

- rear side raised 1

- transferred my Akrapovics from the 13 to the 18

- extended fenda

- travellock bar end weights

- tank pad

- sw motech tank bag connector

- Yamaha touring screen

Basically all improvements I ever made to the previous 2 FJRs

Errr, radiator guard is another farkle, is now serving on FJR no 3.
And no, EU FJR comes with the standard blue cases. These city cases I already built for my previous (black) FJR for everyday use. I just kept them: black fits the new Matte Blue just fine.

Other farkles:

- painted the new top cases carrier black

- rear side raised 1

- transferred my Akrapovics from the 13 to the 18

- extended fenda

- travellock bar end weights

- tank pad

- sw motech tank bag connector

- Yamaha touring screen

Basically all improvements I ever made to the previous 2 FJRs
And the seat?? looks very comfy to me.

Paul

Hard to believe I started this thread almost 1 1/2 months ago... I am staying with it for all the mods I'll do with this new matte blue bike.

15 January 2018 update: getting closer with the new Aux Lamp setup:

I decided not to go with any huge lamps, because 1) this bike will never be pressed into LD duties, or see anywhere near the night-riding time my previous FJRs did, and 2) the factory LED headlights are SO DAMN GOOD, head and shoulders better than previous halogen versions, that, given reason #1, I almost don't need them.

And yet, here I am.
rolleyes.gif

Too.... couldn't really resist the brand new LX3 lamps from LEDRider.com. So.... here we go....

First up, some new cosmetic washers from Pro-Bolt USA. I recommend all FJRForum members avoid that evil web site, lest you become addicted to Titanium (like me!
fool.gif
).

Click any photo to see its hi-res version.

In this particular case, these drilled washers are finished in Black DLC (diamond-like coating):

drilledwasher.jpg

The washers add a nice touch to the Aux Lamp switchbox, which also retains Heat-Troller:

drilledwasherswitches.jpg

Now for the easy part.... the WynPro Medallion Brackets for the Gen3/Gen4 bikes!
punk.gif

They arrive absolutely GORGEOUS in natural aluminum, so you can finish them as desired. I went the quick-n-easy paint route - some industrial primer, then three coats of Krylon matte black:

medallionPainted.jpg

INSTALLED!

FrontView.jpg

busaphotobomber950.jpg

RearMedallion950.jpg

Still have wiring to finish up, and then I can put these LX3 lamps to the test! More photos to follow...
punk.gif

Can't see your pictures! When I click on them I get:"Sorry, you don't have permission for that!"
Likewise. I suspect Warchild has used his executive privileges to post his pictures on this forum site, forgetting that we mere mortals aren't allowed to go wherever it is he's put them.I see Ignacio has "liked" Warchild's post, but then he also is not a mortal.

"http ://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=38"