Please help: numb right hand...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya get new gloves?? I read somewhere that if yer running to tight a glove especially in the wrist area it can cause problems.
I had similar issues, and after switching to a looser fit the problem went away.

just a thought.

:jester:
As much as I wanted to tell you that just cuz your right hand is numb that does not mean you have new girlfriend, you had the EXACT problem I had. I had a tendency, especially on this bike, to tighten my gloves and jacket cuffs too tight. My hands would start to go numb after just a few miles. Didn't seem to be so prevalant when I had my VTX, but the times it did happen, now I think I know why. Like Bust, after realizing what I was doing, I stopped sinching up so tight and I don't think I have had a numb hand since. I take my watch off while I ride now too.

JavitFJR:

I think it's just one of the great mysteries and, while there are many solid suggestions, there are probably no definite answers. I, too, came from the German dark side and a long list of pretty decent bikes and had never, ever had a numb right hand. I'm 6' and in good physical shape so I couldn't understand a physiological or geometrical reason for the problem. My K1200RS actually had what I remember to be a more aggressive riding position - so it's not a case of suddenly supporting my upper body weight. From the forum suggestions and with the help of Smitty, I've alleviated the problem. Or have I just built an immunity to it? I did Throttlemeister heavy bar ends, Grip Puppies, Heli Triple Clamp, and a Smitty TBS. The up side? No more wrist/hand problems. The down side? I threw a bunch of money at the problem to make it go away. And I still feel that the bike has more vibration than it should...but I have to tell you, I'm getting increasingly more addicted to this thing.

I, for one, do not think it is the often cited issue of "death grip" as that suggests that the person gripping is either new to riding 'serious' bikes or completely freaked out by the power of the FJR. I doubt that's the case with the majority of people who acquire an FJR. Probably an uncommon and unlikely choice for novices/beginners, and, while it is quite powerful, it's not unnervingly so (IMHO). I do find the suggestion from Joker and HotRodZilla really interesting and smart. That's not one I had thought about and makes complete sense.

Ya get new gloves?? I read somewhere that if yer running to tight a glove especially in the wrist area it can cause problems.
I had similar issues, and after switching to a looser fit the problem went away.

just a thought.

===

Bulltwinkie bustanut......... I heard ya just using your left hand with a looser grip :yahoo: :yahoo:

B....................

just a thought.

I tried different gloves, as I change them all the time to fit the weather anyway. I do use the sort that have a velcro at the wrist though and I do make them tight so they don't come off in a crash. I'm periodically expanding them fully while riding and that seems to help. I suspect that it is just keeping them in the same loose grip for hours at a time that is the problem.

Throttle lock (vista cruise) helps to just give wrist a short break.

Heavy Bar end weights (top gun) These helped remove vibration.

Risers (Heli) Moved weight off of wrist.

The combination of the 3 have removed all my right hand numbness.

Dave

I have several approaches to the right hand/throttle issue, sorted by cost:

1. LEAST EXPENSIVE:

A. Perform a throttle body sync (TBS).

B. Remove extra slack in the throttle cables.

C. Unwind the throttle return spring one turn.

D. Do the Barbarian Jumper Mod (BJM) and CO adjustment.

E. Add a "throttle rocker" to the right grip.

The only cost here is for the throttle rocker which runs about $12.

2. SLIGHTLY MORE EXPENSIVE:

A. Do #1, A-D.

B. Get a manual locking type throttle control (several already suggested).

3. MORE EXPENSIVE:

A. Do #1, A-D. Get the Audiovox Cruise Control.

4. STILL MORE EXPENSIVE:

A. Do #1, A-C.

B. Get the Audiovox Cruise Control .

C. Add a Power Commander III (don't do the BJM and CO adjustment).

5. REALLY EXPENSIVE:

A. Do #1, A-C.

B. Get a PC III

C. Get the MCC cruise control.

I have done #1, A-D and added the MCC cruise control. My right hand is very happy.

I've tried just about all the fixes, and it's not because I grip too tightly. The only thing that saves me is the throttle lock to give my hand a break. Oh, and in colder weather my thicker gloves do make a difference, but don't totally eliminate the problem.

The only things I have not tried is a cramp buster & grip puppies. Those are the least expensive so you might try them first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the throttle spring unwind first and then grip puppies. Those helped a little bit but my right hand still went numb.

After I did the Heli triple clamp the numbness went away. I can ride for hours and not get a numb hand.

Unwind throttle spring, relaxed grip, Heli adaptors, Tacki Touring grips, & Throttle Rocker only helped a little. What really cured it, for me, was to change my level/slightly down wrist position to slightly up wrist position. Doesn't need to be up much, 5 degrees or less. It's not a normal position & the throttle rocker helps me keep it that way or I would revert to the wrist down position. Went back to original grips & should have sent back the Heli's but was too lazy to remove them.

Later, De :)

I have the 2008 model, and suffered with a sore right wrist for a while. I moved the handle bars back and it helped a little (I am 5'9" and was over reaching a little.) The biggest difference I have noticed is that if you have the screen right up protecting you from the wind blast you tend to feel more weight on the palms of your hands. I have found that by dropping the screen a bit and getting some air on my shoulders it keeps the weight off my hands. To tell the truth I first recognised this effect when I had the screen fully down because it was hot and I was in traffic, got to the freeway and screwed the throttle on hard and found I was having to hold on with my fingers to prevent me being blown backwards, when normally I would feel the weight on the palms of my hands.

if you are near 60, play the guitar and pound a keyboard, I would wonder if you have carpal tunnel. Do you get and pain playing or on the computer?