Plugfones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are only rated at NRR 25 dB. I don't think they are ideal for noise protection. Can't speak to the sound quality. I think any similar noise isolating earbuds would produce similar noise reduction and perhaps better sound fidelity.

noiseReductionRatingLabel-300x226.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried thembut

I have tried these and had good luck

https://earfuze.com
Those l;ook interesting, but don't say anywhere(that I can find) what, if any, noise reduction they provide. I currently run speakers with my Sena and like to listen to music, but don't like the performance with earplugs in. I would like something that provides some noise reduction, good music performance, and low profile for helmet use.

Those are only rated at NRR 25 dB. I don't think they are ideal for noise protection. Can't speak to the sound quality. I think any similar noise isolating earbuds would produce similar noise reduction and perhaps better sound fidelity.
noiseReductionRatingLabel-300x226.png
25 dB reduction is sufficient to get you below the damage threshold level of 85 dB.

Yea, they're pretty proud of their product. The good news is, when they break they will repair them. I haven't had any corded ear devices that I couldn't break in a season or two.

Bob, what do you plan to use these with.

There is a pair of Comply earbuds that have a NRR of 29 and have a microphone to work with your smartphone if that is of any interest.

I currently use speakers with my Sena and like to listen to music. At speed wind noise effects the sound quality and the volume has to be high. If I wear earplugs I get noise protection, but not very good sound quality, so I am considering going to earplug speakers. So ultimately, I want to be able to listen to all the sounds coming from my 665 and iPod and still have hearing protection.

Bob, what do you plan to use these with. There is a pair of Comply earbuds that have a NRR of 29 and have a microphone to work with your smartphone if that is of any intere

I always had good results using the Skull Candy Ink'd ear buds. Inexpensive and work well. But since getting my Nolan B4+, I use the Surefire Sonic Defender ear plugs.

I was using the Klipsch S4i and had good noise attenuation and great sound quality with the Autocom. More recently I switched to the uClear 220 BT units and use the uClear noise reduction earbuds with them. I think you will be very happy using earbuds with almost any degree of noise isolation. You still hear important traffic inputs, but the sound quality is greatly improved.

I would look at any prospective earbuds with an eye on the sound quality reviews. For me the Klipsch was nice because the oval shaped silicone was a lot more comfortable for extended use. Whatever you select, you will be using it for long days on the bike, and any of them will be better than helmet speakers. BTW, I left the helmet speakers installed, and can plug in either speakers or earbuds as I wish.

Bob,

I recently got iPlugz Gen II custom fit ear bud monitors from E A R Inc. https://earinc.com/shop/custom-fit-passive/iplugz-gen-ii/

Pricy? Yes. Got fitted for these at the Chicago Motorcycle Show in February. First ear buds I've been able to get a helmet over. Haven't used them on a motorcycle yet, just around the house with a new helmet to get used to both.They quiet the local ambient noise almost as well as my 30db rated ear muffs I use for the riding mower and running power tools or shooting. Plugged into the Sena now I'll be able to listen to my GPS, phone and radar detector at lower sound levels. Who knows, I may even get to like listening to music on the FJR. In the past I've always hated listening to music on a motorcycle. I think I'm really going to like this purchase.

You can lower the price by going to single transducers instead of double transducers or by using generic buds but those don't seal out the ambient sound as well.

Tom

I was using the Klipsch S4i and had good noise attenuation and great sound quality with the Autocom. More recently I switched to the uClear 220 BT units and use the uClear noise reduction earbuds with them. I think you will be very happy using earbuds with almost any degree of noise isolation. You still hear important traffic inputs, but the sound quality is greatly improved.
I would look at any prospective earbuds with an eye on the sound quality reviews. For me the Klipsch was nice because the oval shaped silicone was a lot more comfortable for extended use. Whatever you select, you will be using it for long days on the bike, and any of them will be better than helmet speakers. BTW, I left the helmet speakers installed, and can plug in either speakers or earbuds as I wish.
My plan was to leave the speakers in also. Short trips, like commuting to work, I would just use them.

To update this thread, I purchased the EarFuze plugs. For the price I figured they were worth a try. They work great. Good noise reduction and clear music at speed. The only thing I am not sure about is how do I use them to replace the Sena speakers? Do I have to cut the wires and install a plug? I did notice some magic when I was listening to music with the earbuds and had the Sena turned on paired with the Garmin it would cut out the music whenever the Garmin had something to say. With the music off I could hear the Garmin fine. I imagine that is because the Ipod was paired with the Sena also, but I was listening through the earbud connection. If that is the case then the intercom should shut it off too. Anyone have any similar experience?

Question: How do you insert earbuds/earplugs with a full-face helmet? Straight OSHA non-wired earplugs are no problem, but my helmet always pulled out the earbuds for the iPhone; that's why I haven't had music in my hat to this point.

Would love to have earbuds to listen to music and to dampen external noise. The combination should also mean higher-quality music.

I switched from Sena speakers/with earplugs for the same reason.

I have used https://earfuze.com in the past and they aren't too bad. Not super high quality buds, but they do have a fabric tangle free cord and that's of value. You can make your own buy using any 'in-ear' buds and Radian's earplug mold stuff.

https://www.radians.com/radsite/index.php/industrial/industrial-safety-products/item/radians-custom-molded-earplugs

You can buy it on Amazon, or just about any shooting supply place. They claim 26db, but it really depends on how good you make them. I would add, that if you just use the goo to support and hold earplugs in place and that if those earplugs already provide noise blocking you'll easily get above 26db protection.

Now days I have some pretty expensive in-ear monitors that I use and prefer those. WestOne UM3's I think... Triple drivers and backup pair of single drivers that I prefer.

https://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-or-universal.html

FWIW, I had WestOne plugs made for shooting at an audiologist and they didn't work out so well, as in I never use them.

YMMV

I also use the 'westone" monitors. mine are the AC20 custom series duel drivers. the sound is fantastic. worth the money for me. work great with the sena 20 set up i have. no issues yet had them since EOM 2014. ------( insert FYB smiley icon here)