PNW Spring Tech Meet #18 - May 13th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking to Jay and he asked if I would make the tech meet and I said I want to and glad to hear the dates are announced as I have not been on the forum much however if my wife and I told our Mothers we were not going to make Mothers day because we were hanging out with a bunch of bikers that wont go over well at all. I cant break a 25 year tradition of making Mom breakfast and Mimosas and hanging out for the day doing stuff around the house for her.
I will miss seeing you folk!
You and Mel are always welcome to stop in and visit any time
Feeling warm and fuzzy right there :) and we may just do that, we need more miles this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please count me in.
I'd like to make forks rebuild as one of them is starting to leak. At the same time, since the bike just crossed 70k, I would like to replace the springs with hyperpro. Two questions:

- I've noticed before most (all?) of the guys when rebuilding the forks were coming with forks in hand. How recommended would that be to come with car against removing and servicing the forks in place?

- Apart of springs and basic tools what else shall I bring? I found the list below in another thread. Do I miss something?

4SV-23135-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Lower Bushing)

3P6-23135-00-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Middle Bushing)

4SV-23125-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 1 (Upper Bushing)

4SV-23115-00-00 GUIDE, COVER UPPER (Washer)

4SV-23145-01-00 OIL SEAL

4SV-23156-00-00 CLIP, OIL SEAL (Ring clip)

4SV-23144-00-00 SEAL, DUST (Dust seal)
Whatever oil you are going to use and the instructions for the hyperpro springs. Best if off the bike, but not a requirement. Since you are changing the springs, you may want to ride in so you can put it up on the lift to set your preload and not have to worry about supporting it while adjusting.

Knee replacement surgery scheduled for May 9 so I won't be there.
You don't have to be on a bike to attend you know. Good luck with that surgery.
Maybe he knows, KNOWS, that if he attends, he won't be able to help himself and he'll kick you in the backside. Which will only hurt his recovery... ;)

And I realize this will shock y'all, but I won't be able to make this one...sigh. Between Chicago and Atlanta then. So you will all have to make do. Maybe post a picture of me somewhere in the garage and count the darts at day's end. ;)

Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday May 13th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycle - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pull pork sandwich, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

IMG_1780_zpsgvu6pejx.jpg

Spring Tech Meet #16 - 2016

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Fontanaman

FJRay & Patti ?

chazglenn3

JamesW

redneckj

AdamK

harper

SeattleTy

MajBach

ahchiu

fjrwalker

Harald

Heen

samamoto

gbrmksmith

allrider

RoyceDaniels
List updated

I was talking to Jay and he asked if I would make the tech meet and I said I want to and glad to hear the dates are announced as I have not been on the forum much however if my wife and I told our Mothers we were not going to make Mothers day because we were hanging out with a bunch of bikers that wont go over well at all. I cant break a 25 year tradition of making Mom breakfast and Mimosas and hanging out for the day doing stuff around the house for her.

I will miss seeing you folk!
You and Mel are always welcome to stop in and visit any time
Feeling warm and fuzzy right there :) and we may just do that, we need more miles this year!
Bummer. Amy and I were hoping to see you guys. I should be at the Tech Day. I hope to finally do my forks.
Carl (Carlo)

Well, my plans for that weekend have been modified by SWMBO. I won't be able to attend after all
sad.png
Looking forward to the pics!

I have a pair of GP Suspension front fork springs to install. (Yes, Bevis, I just said, "I have a pair.") Do I need to dig up any instructions for them? Has anyone installed them before?
no we are good on those

As usual I won't make it again this year. To much doctor shit going on. Will try again in the fall. Have a good time and keep Dave out of the pie
rolleyes.gif

As usual I won't make it again this year. To much doctor shit going on. Will try again in the fall. Have a good time and keep Dave out of the pie
rolleyes.gif
One of these days, you need to make the trip Ray!

Keeping Pops out of pie...nope, not going to happen in this lifetime.
no.gif

--G

Rode my '09 over Easter Weekend and a front fork seal is leaking ... oil evrywhere including the rotor (sad, because I'd only just replaced the pads and now they'll have to be replaced again).

I'd like to do a restomod - rebuild the forks using the GP Suspension re-valve kit and replace the springs. Is that something that can be done during the tech meet, or am I better off taking the forks to KFG and have them do it?. If I'm to do it at Tech Meet can someone please verify the parts I'll need.

004-20620-605 is the GP Suspension Fork Re-Valve Kit at $189 ..
08679-90 are a pair of Ohlins Fork springs at $150, but IDK the right spring rate to get (I'm 175 lbs and ride mostly solo with some luggage, but occasionally two up).

Also, if I'm doing the front, should a Penske rear shock be fitted at the same time? Bike has only done 12,500 miles and I'm not an aggressive rider, and thats another $1000 I don't want to spend.

Riona

As you were - Bike will be booked into KFG for the GP revalve kit and a Penske rear shock. It's only money, after all ....

Hope to make it with the new/leftover '16A that I just picked up a few weeks ago. Would like to meet the other FJR folks in the area and see what others have done to their bikes, to get some ideas (though I tend to keep my bikes mostly stock) -- and, as well, I have a set of GenMar 1" block risers that I've had now for a week but haven't gathered up the courage or tools (like the 36mm socket and something to cut the cabling bracket) to get the job done. If someone who has done this common job before and is handier than me (which, frankly, isn't much of a bar
upset.gif
) would be able to help and/or advise me (and if the tools are available?), it'd sure be much appreciated.

Please put me down as tenative; as someone else mentioned, that's Mother's Day weekend, so am going to try and work around existing plans to make this work.