PNW SPring Tech Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Everyone...Its opinion time!

So had a Blue Sea fuse block I was going to bring to the tech meet and after looking a little more, I found that the FuzeBlock FZ-1 may be better. It is smaller and has a relay to allow you to have Switched power and direct power. I ordered one and got it today.

Here is my dilemma:

I wanted to run my HID's, radar detector, and possibly my Zumo off the Fuzeblock. However, the Fuzeblock install guide says that there is a 10A max. The HID I have came with a 30A fuse, so I assume the pull more than 10A. Does anyone have HID's running through a fuzeblock, or do you guys that know more about this stuff think it is a bad idea to do so?

The limit may be due to the fuze block only having a relay rated for 10 Amps. Not sure, as I have the two different fuse blocks.

If Bring your blue sea with you, you may want to mount it any way. I have an extra 30 amp rated relay.

So had a Blue Sea fuse block I was going to bring to the tech meet and after looking a little more, I found that the FuzeBlock FZ-1 may be better. It is smaller and has a relay to allow you to have Switched power and direct power. I ordered one and got it today.

Here is my dilemma:

I wanted to run my HID's, radar detector, and possibly my Zumo off the Fuzeblock. However, the Fuzeblock install guide says that there is a 10A max. The HID I have came with a 30A fuse, so I assume the pull more than 10A. Does anyone have HID's running through a fuzeblock, or do you guys that know more about this stuff think it is a bad idea to do so?
No way your HID's really need a 30 Amp fuse. Right? 10 max if they draw 95-100 watts. 15 if they draw 140-150 watts. Anyway, I thought HID's only used 30 watts each???? Don't know the specifics of your HID draw. (?) :eek: )

Here's the deal. The FZ-1 will allow larger fuses to be installed but the guarantee is void. (who would know) I talked to Curt Gran about this and he recommended that when placing 15 watt items on the grid to space out high draw items to reduce the heat. Don't put them next to each other. I have a 15 amp fuse installed for a year now, although I most likely haven't been using or drawing that much current because I haven't worn my full electric outfit.

Here is my dilemma:

No way your HID's really need a 30 Amp fuse. Right? 10 max if they draw 95-100 watts. 15 if they draw 140-150 watts. Anyway, I thought HID's only used 30 watts each???? Don't know the specifics of your HID draw. (?) :eek: )

Here's the deal. The FZ-1 will allow larger fuses to be installed but the guarantee is void. (who would know) I talked to Curt Gran about this and he recommended that when placing 15 watt items on the grid to space out high draw items to reduce the heat. Don't put them next to each other. I have a 15 amp fuse installed for a year now, although I most likely haven't been using or drawing that much current because I haven't worn my full electric outfit.

That certainly sounds logical...I have the 55W HIDs and I remember reading that they pulled 6A each on startup, but then dropped to 3 each so I am not sure why they would put a 30A fuse in. Seems like a lot. The other two items that I would hook up are a Zumo and a radar detector so those wont pull too much to heat it up.

I will bring both with me, but I think I will probably go with the FZ-1. Maybe try a 15A fuse in it and see what happens. I have lots of fuses. :rolleyes:

Knucklehead, does your radar detector come with a long wire lead to install or are you having to make one? My detector came with a cigarette lighter plug with smart controls on it for the cars. I made my own power lead for the detector when used on the bike.

Knucklehead, does your radar detector come with a long wire lead to install or are you having to make one? My detector came with a cigarette lighter plug with smart controls on it for the cars. I made my own power lead for the detector when used on the bike.
Try this. Put a multi cigarette lighter plug in devise in a tank bag and wire it for 5-10 watts. Now you can plug in your autocom, radar, CB, cellphone charger, etc. Now you only have to wire in the HID's, Electric clothing or heatroler, BMW plug in devises, GPS, etc. to the FZ-1. Lots of room for whats left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty, mother nature is NOT cooperating. In addition, the battery is going dead and Duster19 is selling me his.

As of a few minutes ago, I managed to arrange a truck and trailer. Thus, I will be there trailering my ride. How wrong is that??? UGHH

Well, at least the bike and I will be there. See you all on Saturday.

Alrighty, mother nature is NOT cooperating. In addition, the battery is going dead and Duster19 is selling me his.
As of a few minutes ago, I managed to arrange a truck and trailer. Thus, I will be there trailering my ride. How wrong is that??? UGHH

You're a committed man, gotta respect the effort!! See you on Saturday!

That sucks. Good luck.

Now here is mine. Like you all know, a few days ago I got the rest of the stuff to put the windshield on. I got everything together and all is well. So today I ride to work (it was 27*F) and a couple of feet from where I park the bike is one of those pop up cover tents for the smokers. As I am inside fixing another machine that someone broke (for you that care, it was a Lockformer) one of the guys says "hey Carl, you might want to move your bike before the wind drops the tent on your bike AGAIN. Needless to say, I didn't like hearing that. I go to check it out and what do I find? The arm for the right side of the windshield bracket that I just bought and put on, snapped! So, I took it off and welded it with an aluminum welder and put it back on. I need to redue it because the weld hit the black frame and crack a little. It is still holding, but is questionable. And after all that I get to the Dr. and get more x-rays for him to say "well, surgery may and may not get ride of your pain.

Messed up day.

Carl

That sucks. Good luck.

Now here is mine. Like you all know, a few days ago I got the rest of the stuff to put the windshield on. I got everything together and all is well. So today I ride to work (it was 27*F) and a couple of feet from where I park the bike is one of those pop up cover tents for the smokers. As I am inside fixing another machine that someone broke (for you that care, it was a Lockformer) one of the guys says "hey Carl, you might want to move your bike before the wind drops the tent on your bike AGAIN. Needless to say, I didn't like hearing that. I go to check it out and what do I find? The arm for the right side of the windshield bracket that I just bought and put on, snapped! So, I took it off and welded it with an aluminum welder and put it back on. I need to redue it because the weld hit the black frame and crack a little. It is still holding, but is questionable. And after all that I get to the Dr. and get more x-rays for him to say "well, surgery may and may not get ride of your pain.

Messed up day.

Carl
Sorry to hear that Carl, you still good for Saturday? ;)

One way or another I should be there. I will fix the piece again and make a back up one out of steal just in case. It shouldn't take me that long.

I'm bringin' stuff to do an oil change even though the feejer goes in for it's 28K service next Thursday. Brian, I read that's OK with you?

By the way, I will be bringing my soldering stuff (with heat gun) in case anyone needs that done. 30 years at Boeing gave me that skill.

Of course, if it snows, all bets are off. :angry2:

I've ridden everyday this week. It snows during the night. The roads are clear by noon.... me on the bike, heat on, tunes in... can't get any better? :yahoo:

Marcus, please bring those mirrors. If SnowMonkey doesn't take them, I just might, for giggles. Thanks.

I'm bringin' stuff to do an oil change even though the feejer goes in for it's 28K service next Thursday. Brian, I read that's OK with you?
By the way, I will be bringing my soldering stuff (with heat gun) in case anyone needs that done. 30 years at Boeing gave me that skill.

Of course, if it snows, all bets are off. :angry2:
Yep, oil is OK

What?

Last time I looked, the weather was to be partly cloudy with 30% chance of rain. Now it is Rain with 90% chance of more rain.

I hate to wimp out, but I already did my 6 hours in the rain on 1/1/09. Wet RTE

Till next time my friends.

Too bad the weather today is not still here tomorrow. Sunny, warm and all the mountains are out...just spectacular. Playing it close with the north end crew. We'll take a look tonight and decide between two wheels or four. Looking like four unless something changes. :angry:

See everyone tomorrow.

--G