Quick Shoei Neotec Borealis Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Had been thinking about this helmet since I saw it. I have the Olympia hi vis yellow stripe one piece summer suit that this will match nicely. And even if not wearing the suit I hope it makes me 1% more visible.

I've decided I like retractable sun visors. Even if the helmet loses its SNELL rating and only gets DOT, I want it. I also want fully replaceable liner, which I currently don't have on my Scorpion EXO-1000 or Shoei RF-1000. This Shoei has fully removable liner, modular operation, retractable sun visor, new and bigger clear visor with 99% UV protection, and pinlock system pre-installed with the Pin lock shield included. It's also wind-tunnel tested and supposedly one of the quietest helmets. Fogging is a problem for me, so I wanted to try the pinlock. There is no visor lock on this helmet, which I also like because it has get in the way in the past as I fumble for the sun visor.

Left the house on my FZ1 this morning for 14 miles into work on the freeway. 32 degrees. Forgot my custom ear plugs, but didn't notice this until almost to work. With my EXO or my Shoei RF-1000 I would have noticed missing plugs on this bike sooner. Quiet? Check.

I like Shoeis because they have a "barely open" visor notch. Scorpion EXO minimum open was like 3 inches. With my RF-1000 the barely open visor is how I cleared fog, but then my eyes water in the cold at least on this bike. Man, talk about working as advertised. Zero fog on the visor on the main part of it. There was some fog clear around by my ears I could see behind where the Pinlock screen left off. Also, my Glasses had to acclimate and they fogged a little until I got going....8-( Zero fog on visor? Check.

And did I mention I like a "light" helmet? My Scorpion EXO with retractable sun visor is considerably heavier than my RF-1000. This Neotec is nearly as light as the RF-1000. They make it in three shell sizes.

This helmet is a winner.

I can take or leave modular operation--I'm afraid I'll go down with it fully open. But in Shoei helmets, retractable visors don't include many options. This thing lists for $752 or so, and the best I can find online is about 10% off. So when the parts guy noticed me browsing and asked what he could do for me, I said "take 20% off that Neotec helmet you've had for awhile in my size". Initially he didn't, but as I was buying an $8 item, he came back from manager's office and told me I could have it for 20% off. I hate when I do something I don't expect to happen before I've planned how to break it to the wife....
fool.gif
Fortunately, she had been doing some shopping on her own, and felt equally guilty for her $75 worth of apparel from the likes of Ross and Steinmart.....
rolleyes.gif
The day ended well....

I just wonder if I should have gotten the cheaper, one-color "Anthracite" that seems to match my 2013 instead....

ShoeiNeotecBorealis_zps5361aa22.jpg

ShoeiNeotecanthracite_zpsba988c11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking lid, matching helmets are so ghey
tonguesmiley.gif

After my Schubreth was killed by a deer in September I replaced it with a Neotec as I have other Shoei lids. The Shoei is nice but still isn't as quiet as the Schubreth plus I miss the snap together straps. Shoei's D rings are a pain in the arse.

tonguesmiley.gif

After my Schubreth was killed by a deer in September I replaced it with a Neotec as I have other Shoei lids. The Shoei is nice but still isn't as quiet as the Schubreth plus I miss the snap together straps. Shoei's D rings are a pain in the arse.
I love my Neotec. The fit is perfect for me, it is quiet and well balanced and the drop down visor is the best I have seen.

I can ride over 600 mile days and I have no discomfort in neck shoulders or " traps".

I tried on the Schubreth but there was no way it would fit my head.

I have to agree with you about the D rings being a pain. I hope to find a better solution.

BTW mine is the anthracite, color is just a matter of personal preference.

tonguesmiley.gif

I love my Neotec. The fit is perfect for me, it is quiet and well balanced and the drop down visor is the best I have seen.

I can ride over 600 mile days and I have no discomfort in neck shoulders or " traps".

I have to agree with you about the D rings being a pain. I hope to find a better solution.

Tried on a Schuberth at BMW dealer, and the same Medium that fits me in everything else did not seem to fit. Also, not sure about them straps. I've gotten used to D-rings and just go with them....

Had been thinking about this helmet since I saw it. I have the Olympia hi vis yellow stripe one piece summer suit that this will match nicely. And even if not wearing the suit I hope it makes me 1% more visible.

I've decided I like retractable sun visors. Even if the helmet loses its SNELL rating and only gets DOT, I want it. I also want fully replaceable liner, which I currently don't have on my Scorpion EXO-1000 or Shoei RF-1000. This Shoei has fully removable liner, modular operation, retractable sun visor, new and bigger clear visor with 99% UV protection, and pinlock system pre-installed with the Pin lock shield included. It's also wind-tunnel tested and supposedly one of the quietest helmets. Fogging is a problem for me, so I wanted to try the pinlock. There is no visor lock on this helmet, which I also like because it has get in the way in the past as I fumble for the sun visor.

Left the house on my FZ1 this morning for 14 miles into work on the freeway. 32 degrees. Forgot my custom ear plugs, but didn't notice this until almost to work. With my EXO or my Shoei RF-1000 I would have noticed missing plugs on this bike sooner. Quiet? Check.

I like Shoeis because they have a "barely open" visor notch. Scorpion EXO minimum open was like 3 inches. With my RF-1000 the barely open visor is how I cleared fog, but then my eyes water in the cold at least on this bike. Man, talk about working as advertised. Zero fog on the visor on the main part of it. There was some fog clear around by my ears I could see behind where the Pinlock screen left off. Also, my Glasses had to acclimate and they fogged a little until I got going....8-( Zero fog on visor? Check.

And did I mention I like a "light" helmet? My Scorpion EXO with retractable sun visor is considerably heavier than my RF-1000. This Neotec is nearly as light as the RF-1000. They make it in three shell sizes.

This helmet is a winner.

I can take or leave modular operation--I'm afraid I'll go down with it fully open. But in Shoei helmets, retractable visors don't include many options. This thing lists for $752 or so, and the best I can find online is about 10% off. So when the parts guy noticed me browsing and asked what he could do for me, I said "take 20% off that Neotec helmet you've had for awhile in my size". Initially he didn't, but as I was buying an $8 item, he came back from manager's office and told me I could have it for 20% off. I hate when I do something I don't expect to happen before I've planned how to break it to the wife....
fool.gif
Fortunately, she had been doing some shopping on her own, and felt equally guilty for her $75 worth of apparel from the likes of Ross and Steinmart.....
rolleyes.gif
The day ended well....

I just wonder if I should have gotten the cheaper, one-color "Anthracite" that seems to match my 2013 instead....

ShoeiNeotecBorealis_zps5361aa22.jpg

ShoeiNeotecanthracite_zpsba988c11.jpg
Very nice, but out of my price range. The reviews I read recommended the N-104 and the graphics are close, so I went with this. Hope I am as happy with mine as you are with yours!

nolan004p_zps73588e7a.jpg

I have the Neotec in Anthracite too. Love it very much! I've been using that Quick disconnect strap thingy for years now on all of my helmets. Works great!

I've got the N-104, and not really impressed. I plan on getting the Neotech to replace my multi-tec. I know the Shoei is more money, but I guess in this case, you get what you pay for.

tonguesmiley.gif

A helmet is only good when it fits. I like the fit of a Shoei just not as quiet as the Schubreth . My Neotec is the ghey silver as I didn't see any multi color ones when I bought mine.

I bought a Nolan once-never again.

Shoei's D rings are a pain in the arse.

Fuck me to tears! Do you ladies want some cheese with that whine? Time for you Nancy-boys to put your big boy pants on!

I think I've heard it all now......

finger.gif

I have no experience with the NeoTec, unless I wear it around the house till Spring. Just picked up a plain Jane white version for just under $550 from a local dealer. Looking forward to eating while riding.

I'm glad to see you guys writing about how quiet it is. After 7 yrs with Icon lids, I've had it.

Fuck me to tears! Do you ladies want some cheese with that wine? Time for you Nancy-boys to put your big boy pants on!
:lol: :lol: :lol: He's a little harsh, but geez. And the D-rings are a positive hold. I don't trust the snaps like some of you guys don't trust a modular. (By the way, you won't crash with it open if you don't ride with it open.)

I don't care if a helmet's quiet anyway. Already deaf as a post.

I'd never own a helmet with snaps...personally, I just don't trust them. D-rings take a few seconds and are solid. Anyway, has anyone had any issues with the top vent leaking in their Neotec's? Read the review over at WBW and that seemed to be a potential issue that you could request a "fix" for from Shoei.

I'd like to pick up one of these maybe next year...my RF1100 isn't old enough to justify anything yet. ;)

Fuck me to tears! Do you ladies want some cheese with that whine? Time for you Nancy-boys to put your big boy pants on!

finger.gif
Get a grip Scooter, I do believe I will decline your first offer.

With that said, I do enjoy some slices of Asiago with a good Cabernet Sauvignon.

With my big boy pants on (without suspenders) I will say that D rings are a good safe method of securing a helmet, however they are still A PAIN IN THE ASS!

Choices are not like assholes, you can have more that one.

I don't get it..D rings are so simple in design and function, can't imagine the problem. I find them easier and more comfortable than the micro click thingy on my Nolan N-104.

I'd never own a helmet with snaps...personally, I just don't trust them. D-rings take a few seconds and are solid. Anyway, has anyone had any issues with the top vent leaking in their Neotec's? Read the review over at WBW and that seemed to be a potential issue that you could request a "fix" for from Shoei.

I'd like to pick up one of these maybe next year...my RF1100 isn't old enough to justify anything yet.
wink.png
The "leak" that is referred to is inherent to the design. Even when closed there is some air movement through the helmet and is noticable when in colder temps (>40F). I don't find it an issue, as I use a skull cap all the time. It could be that I'm just used to the cold since I live in MN.
wink.png

I did contact Shoei concerning the "fix" but I decided against it because it really decreases the air flow when it's hot out. Since this helmet has fabulous airflow, I did not want to lose it. The component required to make the "fix" was a permanent change from what I was told at that time.

I used the Neotec all summer and fall and I love it! Best helmet I've had for riding. I really like the sunshield and being to able to open up the shield to talk to someone or grab a quick drink or eat on the fly or when stopped briefly. And it is quiet as mentioned.

The "leak" that is referred to is inherent to the design. Even when closed there is some air movement through the helmet and is noticable when in colder temps (>40F). I don't find it an issue, as I use a skull cap all the time. It could be that I'm just used to the cold since I live in MN.
wink.png

I did contact Shoei concerning the "fix" but I decided against it because it really decreases the air flow when it's hot out. Since this helmet has fabulous airflow, I did not want to lose it. The component required to make the "fix" was a permanent change from what I was told at that time.

I used the Neotec all summer and fall and I love it! Best helmet I've had for riding. I really like the sunshield and being to able to open up the shield to talk to someone or grab a quick drink or eat on the fly or when stopped briefly. And it is quiet as mentioned.
Thanks for that info! I ride with a skull cap too, so the air's not a big deal, but it'd be somewhat unpleasant if it leaks substantially in a downpour. Any experience in that regard?

finger.gif
Scooter, do you want to go back to a chain on your bike?

D rings are so primitive once you have used a snap.

As far as trusting the snaps I can assure you folks I crash tested my Schubreth and they work just fine.

finger.gif
Scooter, do you want to go back to a chain on your bike?

D rings are so primitive once you have used a snap.

As far as trusting the snaps I can assure you folks I crash tested my Schubreth and they work just fine.

I've never had a chain on any bike I've ever owned.
tonguesmiley.gif

I ride every day. Take my helmet on/off multiple times a day. I can fasten my helmet with it's primitive D-rings in about 3 seconds. It's a no-brainer. I can see no reason why I would want to change with a proven design that is easy to use.

So take off your dress and put some big-boy pants on! :tease: