Quiet Forum These Days?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me the forum isn't 'popping' like it used too. Weeks old posts remaining at the top, fewer responses, replies.

Just me or have others noticed too?
Nothing stays the same.I miss the old days. Dogpile Friday was always fun.

I joined this forum in March of 08, the day before I picked up my new FJR.

I soon learned that this forum was only about 20% technical. The rest was fun and games. I couldn't go for more than 15 minutes at a time without checking in, because I didn't want to miss anything.

At the time, I was a heavy drinker and this forum kept me out of the local bars because it was more fun. (And I apologize now to anyone I offended back when it was OK to be irreverent)

We all know and miss the class clowns that have either died or got kicked out or are quiet because the way things are, that kept this forum rocking.

Nothing lasts forever. The memories that I can remember, are all good!

(And it was always fun to meet people from the forum personally, and find out they were quite normal.. :) )

PERFECT synopsis <sigh>

ooooh..... pick me, pick me....
whistle.gif

Seems to me the forum isn't 'popping' like it used too. Weeks old posts remaining at the top, fewer responses, replies.

Just me or have others noticed too?
Nothing stays the same.I miss the old days. Dogpile Friday was always fun.

I joined this forum in March of 08, the day before I picked up my new FJR.

I soon learned that this forum was only about 20% technical. The rest was fun and games. I couldn't go for more than 15 minutes at a time without checking in, because I didn't want to miss anything.

At the time, I was a heavy drinker and this forum kept me out of the local bars because it was more fun. (And I apologize now to anyone I offended back when it was OK to be irreverent)

We all know and miss the class clowns that have either died or got kicked out or are quiet because the way things are, that kept this forum rocking.

Nothing lasts forever. The memories that I can remember, are all good!

(And it was always fun to meet people from the forum personally, and find out they were quite normal.. :) )
PERFECT synopsis
Yep!

Does it potentially have something to do with the Photobucket ransom fee? I know many of us skip the words and only look at the pictures for various reasons. Those below the Mason-Dixon line cannot read is one reason. I will let the others that can actually read this state their own reasons.

Does it potentially have something to do with the Photobucket ransom fee? I know many of us skip the words and only look at the pictures for various reasons. Those below the Mason-Dixon line cannot read is one reason. I will let the others that can actually read this state their own reasons.
That shouldn't be an issue...

There are a number of other free photo hosting sites available out there (Flickr, Imgur, Google Photos, Postimage.org etc). There is also an "extension" for Google Chrome and for Firefox that enables the browser to "see" the blocked photos in old forum posts. This works very well (unless the original poster kills their PB account).

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps it shouldnt be an issue, but I think it contributes to it, at least for me. Several times Ive wanted to post pictures, but once burned twice shy. Through the years Ive posted just over 700 of them, all from PhotoBucket. Im a lazy SOB that just cant get motivated to find another third party host, move all my pictures over to it, then search all the threads Ive posted in to change each individual link to the new site. If someone were to come up with some sore of macro that would do that - painlessly for this forum, Id jump on it in an instant. But until that happens I hate to say it, but Im shying away from posting anything other than text. For me it kind of puts a damper on things around here.

JMHO

Brodie

😕

I agree with you, Brodie. I thought it was annoying that I had to upload a photo to Photobucket in order to display it here, but I did it. Now that it has become even more of a pain I am less inclined to share photos. That hasn't kept me from posting my usual nonsense and occasional bit of useful information, but I did like to use pictures when appropriate and I like to see pictures posted by the rest of the forum members.

Photobucket screwed a lot of people.

{as a user at the time}

Part of the reason this forum has been able to remain ad-free is because it chose early on not to buy storage for local files.

Photobucket screwed a lot of people.
{as a user at the time}

Part of the reason this forum has been able to remain ad-free is because it chose early on not to buy storage for local files.
Agreed and approved of by this forum member. Ads suck more than hosting pix somewhere...

It would help if I didn't get a warning message on a routine basis that "this forum does not support that exetension for images", when attaching a jpg from Imgur. We no longer have Photobucket, and it just isn't worth the hassle of trying more than twice. If the forum doesn't want my image the easy way, it isn't going to happen.

With some of the people who were the heart and soul of this place gone, permanently, the reason to pop in and see what's going on is much diminished.

No offense to the newer posters, but, those presences can not be reproduced, or replaced.

le sigh

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SacramentoMike" data-cid="1382220" data-time="1509178582"><p>

Donors are heard to find though.</p></blockquote>

What? There used to be an abundance of assholes around here. One would think there'd be an extra one or 12 laying around for Bust...

;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SacramentoMike" data-cid="1382220" data-time="1509178582"><p>Donors are heard to find though.</p></blockquote>

What? There used to be an abundance of assholes around here. One would think there'd be an extra one or 12 laying around for Bust...

wink.png
Who would think that we'd have to explain that size matters to Barb, huh Mike?

Barb: It'd have to be a very, very large asshole, . . . believe me. And this is the internet - just because someone reports a large anatomical part asshole doesn't necessarily make it so in the real world.