rattel in 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At low speeds when i hit a bump i notice and hear a frount end rattle has anybody had this and what is it . It sounds like a loose clip or hinge just something small thanks again
I have a new 08 FJR and I too had a rattle that was coming from the front of the bike when I hit bumps at low speeds (primarily under 30MPH.) However, I could tell it was the windshield that was making the rattle. When I brought it in yesterday for my initial 600 mile service, I mentioned it to m service manager. When I picked up the bike later in the afternoon, they had installed a extra piece of foam rubber between the W frame and the plastic windscreen. Worked like a charm. Perhaps it's the front brake caliper and definitely worth checking. Also, you wouldn't have something banging around in your glove box?

At low speeds when i hit a bump i notice and hear a frount end rattle has anybody had this and what is it . It sounds like a loose clip or hinge just something small thanks again
The temp sensor on my 08 came loose and was bouncing around behind the dash panel. Snapped the plastic clip on a sensor back into the hole and voila...no more rattle. Amazing what you can hear while rolling down the highway....

My 08 does it too! It's definitly plastic. I just took a closer look and found what I think to be the problem. Bend down and look up into the fairing in the front above the fender (like you were looking up some skirt...lol). Surrounding the Y at the front brake fluid line junction is a black plastic sheild in place that looks as if it is supposed to protect the steel line coming down from the master cylinder. If you tap that piece of plastic it will rattle against the steel line and make a very distinct rattle. Everything else on my bike seems fine except for the squeeking of plastics when the fairing is manipulated (not the problem). I will install a little round adhiesive rubber bumper pad on the plastic and between the steel line. I think I have some laying around from some cabinets I recently bought. I'll report the results on next ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 08 does it too! It's definitly plastic. I just took a closer look and found what I think to be the problem. Bend down and look up into the fairing in the front above the fender (like you were looking up some skirt...lol). Surrounding the Y at the front brake fluid line junction is a black plastic sheild in place that looks as if it is supposed to protect the steel line coming down from the master cylinder. If you tap that piece of plastic it will rattle against the steel line and make a very distinct rattle. Everything else on my bike seems fine except for the squeeking of plastics when the fairing is manipulated (not the problem). I will install a little round adhiesive rubber bumper pad on the plastic and between the steel line. I think I have some laying around from some cabinets I recently bought. I'll report the results on next ride.
Thanks. I knew it was coming from somewhere around the front fender / fork area but couldn't find it.

J.

Check your front fender that the nuts are tight. I had a similar noise and found that 3 of the bolts holding on the front fender had come off. The front fender was dangling over the tire. I didn't notice any noise at higher speeds, presumably due to the wind holding the fender up. Nevertheless, check it out.

Brain surgeon

While I was going over my new bike with Nick and Gerald at D&H Cycle, they mentioned that I might hear a slight, barely perceptible front end rattle. Their observation is that when the fork springs are compressed as in going over a bump, they deflect and rattle a bit against the inside of the fork tubes.