Recognize your dealer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Hills Power Sports in Rapid City, South Dakota has always treated me right. Lyle Krause is the sales manager and he rocks. I bought my first new BMW from Lyle in 1992 when he owned Sturgis BMW. After he sold the business and retired, he couldn't stay away from motorcycles, so he went to work (between golf games) at Black Hills Power Sports. The Service Department has always been competent and timely. The Black Hills area is motorcycle heaven, so everyone who works there loves what they do, and it shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a barely used (630 miles) '13 FJR in April 2014 from Jason at Stadium Yamaha in Irving, TX. Been back a couple of times for odds 'n ends but I do my own servicing.

If I buy another Yamaha, that's where I will go.

I bought my 09 FJR1300AE from Adventure Motorsports in Monroe, WA as a new-old stock bike back in 2013, for just over $11K. It was the best deal I could find. I've been back a couple of times, for my 600 mile service and my 4000 mile service and new tires. They were competitive on service fees, and I understand that the dealer has to make enough money to pay the mechanic.

I've also used I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah for service on my FJR (new rear PR3 after picking up a nail within 25 miles on the new at 4K set... ARGH!). They've also worked on my son's XR70, and replaced the rear prop shaft boot on a '12 Honda Rincon I bought used (not from them). Never had a problem with their service or their fees.

Now, don't get me started on Eastside Dodge/Chrystler for my Dakota (traded in at another Seattle eastside dealer on a new '15 Ram EcoDiesel). I bought two new Dakotas from them, an '00 and an '04, and they were always ridiculous on price and poor on service.

RL Equipment in Verner (about 45min east of Sudbury). Both the owner and his wife both ride FJR's, and, despite being a small dealer, sells more (FJR's) than any other Yamaha dealer in Canada. Great service too.
I'll second RL Equipment ... I picked up a new non current last year from them ... they are the only guys that would actually sell me a bike over the phone ... 1280 meters underground as a matter a fact!!! I Called them on a Tuesday from my office Underground and picked up the Bike on the following Friday! The dealer in Sudbury would not give me a price or want to speak to me over the phone ... go figure! RL rocks and will continue to get my money
smile.png

Cheers

Mike

Don and Roy's Powersports - Brookfield Wisconsin (outside of Milwaukee). 8 hours away but their new bike pricing was unbelievable for my 2014 FJR. Met a gentleman there from South Dakota picking up the same bike for the same reason. Mike in Sales was top notch (whole thing dealt over the phone).

Looking for someplace I can trust for service in Michigan. The service techs seem to come and go way too often here...really hard to build any kind of relationship or trust.

Hell, I wish I had a dealer to recognize. How can there not be a Yamaha dealer in Los Angeles? The two near me closed two years ago. The closest dealer to me is 25 miles away in Hollywood. Now I now that some of you will come back and tell me sad stories about how your nearest Yamaha dealer is 160 miles away, but you're in Bumfuck, Nebraska. 160 miles in Nebraska is actually a shorter drive than 25 miles in Los Angeles.

End of whine. My 2006 AE is so reliable I never need a dealer anyway. I'd just like to be able to take a test ride on a 2016 when they're available. I'll probably take a train to North Hollywood. It takes only 1.5 hours. Faster than driving.

Barnes Brothers Motorcycle and Off Road in Canonsburg, PA. My brother bought the local Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, and Polaris dealership last year. Excellent mechanics and friendly sales staff. I love stopping in as often as possible as it's always such a good experience. Yes, it's my brother, but I couldn't be more proud of them. Their whole family rides as does mine. They just became Klim dealers. That should tell you something.

Bought my 2008 FJR at D&H Cycles in Cullman, AL too! Have been back for service once or twice when I was in the neighborhood. You cannot beat the wonderful service and positive attitudes possessed by everyone who works there. God bless them all!

So what criteria do you use to judge if they do a good job? I am especially interested in how you judge there technical performance.

So what criteria do you use to judge if they do a good job? I am especially interested in how you judge there technical performance.
Every time I take my bike, it comes back in better shape than when I dropped it off. Never missing fasteners, no new scratches, the tech knows my name and my bike. They have mentioned things I didn't know were going on at the time. My bike still only needs one key.

All this together, along with the times I've gotten it back washed make me know my guys are doing good work. They don't half-ass stuff, and they don't overcharge me...At least not any more than any dealer charges for work. I get a discount probably 90% of the time. I do most of my own stuff now, but have no issues taking my bike to them.

This how I judge their work!

I was recently impressed by Maxim Honda & Yamaha in Allen, TX. I got the S4 spider bite around December, but my bike had already been reported as having the recall performed. They took care of all the legwork to make sure they could fix it without having to charge me, and they determined the same thing I did - I needed a full harness replacement. (I'd already taken the tank off and looked). They put all of my farkles back the way they found them including reinstalling my taillight and headlight modulators as well as asking me to make sure they worked appropriately. I asked them to change spark plugs and the oil/filter since it was right at 8K mi. The prices seemed a bit high to me (hourly rate is $99/hr, charged 0.5 for oil and 0.4 for spark plugs + ~$4/ea plug) but I wanted to make sure they were paid for taking care of me. Bike came back in better shape than when I left it, and I noticed they even replaced some tupperware fasteners that were mismatched/incorrect. The only hold up was the S4 recall harness on back order, but it arrived ahead of schedule and I got my bike back the same day.

TL;DR Maxim Honda service has thorough guys that really want to make sure you're taken care of.

I was recently impressed by Maxim Honda & Yamaha in Allen, TX. I got the S4 spider bite around December, but my bike had already been reported as having the recall performed. They took care of all the legwork to make sure they could fix it without having to charge me, and they determined the same thing I did - I needed a full harness replacement. (I'd already taken the tank off and looked). They put all of my farkles back the way they found them including reinstalling my taillight and headlight modulators as well as asking me to make sure they worked appropriately. I asked them to change spark plugs and the oil/filter since it was right at 8K mi. The prices seemed a bit high to me (hourly rate is $99/hr, charged 0.5 for oil and 0.4 for spark plugs + ~$4/ea plug) but I wanted to make sure they were paid for taking care of me. Bike came back in better shape than when I left it, and I noticed they even replaced some tupperware fasteners that were mismatched/incorrect. The only hold up was the S4 recall harness on back order, but it arrived ahead of schedule and I got my bike back the same day.
TL;DR Maxim Honda service has thorough guys that really want to make sure you're taken care of.
Replacing the complete harness is not the answer- it's just a replication of the original problem. You'll have to do some minor maintenance to completely eliminate this problem. I've never heard of a dealer anywhere willing to do it. My '07 has never had the spider recall done. Never will. 20 mins once per yr (it's a little aggravating the first time, after that it's ok) will make this problem go away forever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A big shout-out to my local Honda dealer! Wheel off tire changes still $23. Includes Dark Side, Fat Side, whatever.

Cycle Center Honda. Asheboro, NC

Yamaha Sports Center, in Texarkana now in Longview, TX. The owner Tony, is a great guy, very helpful, and honest. I bought my 06 from him and recommended several other people to him. Everyone was 100% satisfied with the deals he provided and the top notch service.

Todd

Rbentnail, I agree, changing the harness alone is not the long term solution. My immediate concern was that they weren't going to acknowledge the burn in the connector, as the bike would function by simply throwing another spider in there. Had I been unsuspecting and they were willing, I could have easily been duped. After all of the dishonest dealers I've seen - auto and car - It's refreshing to find an honest and thorough one.

Bought a barely used (630 miles) '13 FJR in April 2014 from Jason at Stadium Yamaha in Irving, TX. Been back a couple of times for odds 'n ends but I do my own servicing.If I buy another Yamaha, that's where I will go.
I was in that shop a couple of weeks ago (end of Jan. 2016) and spoke to a guy I hadn't met before. He tod me that Jason had sold the shop (apparently, bought Maxim Honda/Yamaha in Allen, TX). All of the staff with Jason except one guy in service has left.

Nice enough guy but I was only buying a part so I can't say how the shop is now.

GaryB

I've owned a few Hondas for which Maxim did what I can't/won't do when it was a Honda-only shop. Pricey but excellent work in every area.

Now, they are a Honda/Yamaha shop and while I still go there for those things I can't/won't do, they practically charge to you to breathe. Everything by the book although there's usually a big ole smile along with it. E.g., I had the rear master cylinder replaced and had to return the bike to re-bleed (even after I originally expressed doubt that the work had been done properly) - additional $65. VERIFY before you leave the lot.

But, they do put everything back in its place. My '08 is pretty heavily farkled and it's always returned with everything like they received it. And, everyone is extremely helpful; a lot of those guys have been there for years.

+1 for Roseville Yamaha. Zac and Co. have done 4 valve adjusts and changed 2 ccts, along with a ton of other work on my '05.