Scala earbud modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blrfjr

Reaction score
Ive a search on this board as well as google advrider ect. about the earbud mod to the scala BT comm system. Seems that all the info Im finding is at least 2 years old. Some say to go to the circut board to remove the speaker wires totally while others say to slice the speaker wires and go from there. Has anyone done this recently? Some of the info Im getting is from '08.

i would not attempt to splice the speaker wire. it is very thin wire and easily broken while attempting to strip, solder and re-tape. i would go to the circuit board and "un-solder" the original speaker wires, then strip the ear buds (make sure they still work) and solder those in place.

or sell the Scala and get a Sena that has the earbud option...

P.

I tryed to splice but was unsuccessful. Then had to buy a new speaker and helmet mount for $50!!! My issue was poor sound quality. I solved my problem by adding very soft foam behind the speakers so they stood proud and were just toughing my ear. It was amazing the sound difference. I hate having ear buds and this is more than enough sound quality for me. The foam I used was from the customizing foam pieces you get with your bicycle helmet.

Mark

I tryed to splice but was unsuccessful. Then had to buy a new speaker and helmet mount for $50!!! My issue was poor sound quality. I solved my problem by adding very soft foam behind the speakers so they stood proud and were just toughing my ear. It was amazing the sound difference. I hate having ear buds and this is more than enough sound quality for me. The foam I used was from the customizing foam pieces you get with your bicycle helmet.

Mark
I've already put some foam behind the speakers and it helped with the volume but the sound quality still leaves a little to be desired. Ive spent big bucks on a zumo 665 so I would like to get some great sound out of that xm.

link to modlink to internal mod

Mark
I've already put some foam behind the speakers and it helped with the volume but the sound quality still leaves a little to be desired. Ive spent big bucks on a zumo 665 so I would like to get some great sound out of that xm.
I have done the earbud mod both ways.

If you cut the speaker wires you will be working with very small wires with an insulation coating that is a pain to remove, solder, and heatshrink. I have done this with 2 units. When I used the speaker wire mod I left enough speaker wire to redo it if I screwed up the first time. This was a good idea as I I screwed up one unit and had cut out the bad soldier joint and do the mod twice. I left enough speaker wire to tuck the extra wire into the helmet lining to protect the soldiered wire joints from stress and movement.

I have done 2 units with the internal mod as shown here https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628028

I found the internal mod to be easier and cleaner but a bit more of a risk. I changed the procedure somewhat. For the female 3.5 mm plug I purchased a RadioShack 3.5 mm extension cord and cut the cord about 4-5 inches from the female end. I soldered the wires directly to the circuit board. I used the exit hole for the original speaker wires for the female plug wire. I tied a knot in the female plug wire and ran the wire thru the helmet clamp. The knot will not pull thru the clamp and this stabilizes the cord and serves as stress relief.

The adventure rider mod is well documented. I made up my mod as I went along, use your own judgement.

I have been very happy with both mods.

link to modlink to internal mod

Mark
I have done the earbud mod both ways.

If you cut the speaker wires you will be working with very small wires with an insulation coating that is a pain to remove, solder, and heatshrink. I have done this with 2 units. When I used the speaker wire mod I left enough speaker wire to redo it if I screwed up the first time. This was a good idea as I I screwed up one unit and had cut out the bad soldier joint and do the mod twice. I left enough speaker wire to tuck the extra wire into the helmet lining to protect the soldiered wire joints from stress and movement.

I have done 2 units with the internal mod as shown here https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628028

I found the internal mod to be easier and cleaner but a bit more of a risk. I changed the procedure somewhat. For the female 3.5 mm plug I purchased a RadioShack 3.5 mm extension cord and cut the cord about 4-5 inches from the female end. I soldered the wires directly to the circuit board. I used the exit hole for the original speaker wires for the female plug wire. I tied a knot in the female plug wire and ran the wire thru the helmet clamp. The knot will not pull thru the clamp and this stabilizes the cord and serves as stress relief.

The adventure rider mod is well documented. I made up my mod as I went along, use your own judgement.

I have been very happy with both mods.
The unit I have is the team set. Which I think is the same as the Q2. The mod for the G4 doesnt look that hard. Do you know how it is different for a team set or a Q2. Some of the posts Ive read have a success rate of about 50/50 for various reasons.

I found this on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scala-Rider-G4-Stereo-Earbud-Adapter-/220899404241#vi- anybody tried it. I've sent the vendor a msg to see if this will work on the scala team set that I have. If he says it will work (I think it should)I'll probably use this service to get the mod done.
I have the G4 Powerset; two units in one box prepaired. The mod does not effect the unit logic just the sound output. I am not familiar with the Q2 or team set. I am 5 for 5 with successful mods. It is a very basic modification. The soldiering is delicate so this may accont for the failures. if doing the speaker wire mod the colors are not always consistent from one unit to another so some logical thinking might be required. If I was doing the speaker wire mod I might even open up the unit to verify the wire colors.

I just wish Scala would make an earbud choice like Sena does. I even contacted Scala about the new model coming out and they said "nope no earbud". Makes it really hard to go with them even though most of my friends have one.

I just wish Scala would make an earbud choice like Sena does. I even contacted Scala about the new model coming out and they said "nope no earbud". Makes it really hard to go with them even though most of my friends have one.
IF...you own the G4 there is a optional hemet clamp you can get for about $35 that has a earbud jack. I saw a video about it on youtube that was made/sold by cyclebots.com For me it would be a no-brainer if I had a G4.

I just called plugUp.com and they confirmed that their mod would work for my scala teamset pro. So, I have decided to let them do the work since Im not comfortable doing it myself.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice :yahoo: This is a textbook example of why this forum is so great!! :yahoo: I will post up when I get my unit back to let everyone know how it works and about customer service etc.

Thanks again, Bryan

Check out cycle bots.com on YouTube
I looked at the vid, and then went to cyclebots.com but it seems they have pulled the product. I am going to contact them and see if they still make it. I am sure, out of some inane a baseless fear of being sued Cardo Systems made them stop selling it. Fscking legal system....