SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beemerdons made the rounds at GOTC last weekend and is ready for the next gathering which I believe is this one! I won't be able to send the photo/book until next week so is there a mailing address I can send him to direct? I don't think he's been camping yet!
cool.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say this - we went to SFO '09 and had a great time with some great people.

Even Turk. He's OK.

And I heard what still has to be the funniest line I've heard at an FJR gathering: "If you don't shut the fuck up, I'm gonna beat you like odot clubbing a baby seal." Pure gold right there.

I don't know what exactly went on at EOM but I hear 4 totaled bikes. Can anyone confirm this? What happened? We sure as hell don't want any part of that.
Yep. EOM was a rough one. One center-punched a deer, another low-sided in a blind, gravelly corner, the third had a brain-fart and went ditch-riding, and I think the fourth ran wide and his aux light caught on a guard rail post. All riders walked away and are fine, thank heavens.

Just ride your ride and dress for the slide.
And for the record, I don't believe any of those incidents were on a large group ride... shit can happen anytime, anywhere, riding solo, or riding with your best friend. ;)

I'll say this - we went to SFO '09 and had a great time with some great people.

Even Turk. He's OK.

And I heard what still has to be the funniest line I've heard at an FJR gathering: "If you don't shut the fuck up, I'm gonna beat you like odot clubbing a baby seal." Pure gold right there.

I don't know what exactly went on at EOM but I hear 4 totaled bikes. Can anyone confirm this? What happened? We sure as hell don't want any part of that.
Yep. EOM was a rough one. One center-punched a deer, another low-sided in a blind, gravelly corner, the third had a brain-fart and went ditch-riding, and I think the fourth ran wide and his aux light caught on a guard rail post. All riders walked away and are fine, thank heavens.

Just ride your ride and dress for the slide.
And for the record, I don't believe any of those incidents were on a large group ride... shit can happen anytime, anywhere, riding solo, or riding with your best friend.
wink.png
Yep,

especially when the ditch cutting crew leaves all the dirt and gravel on the road in blind curves so the rain can turn it into one big slimy mess.

I believe all or most were slides and no huge impacts so the riders faired fairly well except for the loss of their beloved feejer.

Beemerdons made the rounds at GOTC last weekend and is ready for the next gathering which I believe is this one! I won't be able to send the photo/book until next week so is there a mailing address I can send him to direct? I don't think he's been camping yet!
cool.png
PM sent.

Pants asked for an updated list of attendees - I edited the list in the first post as well, but here its is -

by my count, current as of 10/13/16 -

fjrbandit and Mrs. Bandit - owner's cabin
winksmiley02.gif

Committed from fjrowners.com

Doug36854 - possibly camping / hotel if boss says so!
Roadtrip - hotel
oldironsights - hotel

r.horsch

Victor Sierra
N4HHE
OneMoreTime

coondawg07 plus one- camping Friday (maybe) and Saturday night (definite)

From fjrforum.com

stose85 - camping

hppants plus one- camping
fjrfarrier - quasi camping

bseelbach -camping

poolboytoo - camping

Cav47??? - camping

cornbread - hotel
LA2wheeler - hotel
winewhisperer - hotel

GPrider - hotel

E.T. - hotel

Maybees -

creg-ny-baa

twisted cricket

griff - hotel

Also, four or five other local riders not on either forum will be in attendance.

Well this is turning out to be quite a Hootenanny!!! I can already tell it's gonna be a gas. Anytime you get 25 good 'ole boys (and 2 ladies by my count) together, it's gonna be special.

I have it on good authority that our host and his lovely better half have been working their butts off to get ready for us. The weather is coming to us as well. Pretty dry pattern in the southeast and the temperatures are falling into the camping and riding comfort zone.

I'm 10 days out for departure now. Wish it was today, really. I feel like a 9 year old kid about 10 days from Christmas. I now know about Santa Claus. I know that I'm getting that one special present that I've asked for. It's the one I've been drooling over for months. They know I want it, they have bought it, and I'm going to get it. It's going to be so great when I get that gift. I'll open my other gifts and put on a smile, but I'll be thinking about this one. When my mom can't hold me back anymore, she'll turn me loose and I'll tear this one open. I'll be able to play with it forever then. I'm so damn excited I can hardly stand it.

But alas, it's 10 days away and I have to wait. I can feel the season upon me, but it's just not Christmas yet. The waiting is the hardest part, man....

Okay! Decided it's a go! I'll be heading down on Friday, back on Sunday of course. I'm going to do my best to find a more interesting way down than the way I'll have to hammer back. I posted up to the room share thread, so if you've a need, let me know.

WOO!

Edit, 10/17: Reservations made!

**** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ ****

Ok gang, we are now 10 Days from the kickoff of SFO 2016. There are lots of excited campers out there - and hotel dwellers as well. With many of you departing in just over a week I wanted to just give everyone a status report and provide you with some house keeping info as well as update you on the costs of the event.

Weather

We all know that long range forecast are about as useful as teets on a bore hog, but given our pattern here in Alabama for the past two months, it's looking very much like we are going to have a mostly dry SFO with daytime highs in the mid to upper 70's and evening lows dropping to the mid to upper 50's. We are in the midst of an extreme drought and everything is very dry. Along those lines, should you smoke onsite, please be responsible and ensure that your cigarettes are fully extinguished and disposed of properly. We don't need the added excitement of calling in the volunteer fire department to come put out a brush fire!

I have posted a link to a map that brings you the whopping 1 1/2 miles from exit 219 to the entrance to my property in prior posts. Just scan back and I'm sure you can find it. Also, Mrs. Bandit will use her cheerleader sign making skills and prepare directional signs for you as well. There will be an arrow sign on each of the northbound and southbound exit ramps, then a directional sign at the lone stop sign you'll come to, then a directional sign at the turn into my property. Each sign will be white and will read "SFO 2016". There is no mailbox - but a GPS address that works is 12800 County Road 51, Jemison Alabama.

Please note - my driveway is a fairly steep incline in a couple of spots and is made of crushed stone. I have groomed the drive with my tractor and if you have a marginal ability to traverse 750 feet of gravel then you should have no trouble. IF you feel you will have trouble at all with that, contact me via PM and I WILL make arrangements for you.

Costs

As I stated in the first post, we would just split up the cost of our dinners. I have prepared an extensive menu and priced everything at Costco in bulk. I feel like we will have quite the spread both Friday and Saturday night.

On Thursday night I will be grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. Friday night a good friend of mine will be preparing a shrimp and kielbasa corn boil for us. Saturday night we will have St. Louis style smoked ribs and smoked pork BBQ, prepared by an award winning competition BBQ expert. This will be a treat!! We will also have desserts each night, coffee, tea and soda will also be available. BYOB if you plan to partake in adult beverages.

Also, we'll have coffee, bananas and pastries Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning for those staying onsite.

The total cost for all of three dinners, morning coffee and pastries will be $60.

Those that will only be in attendance on Friday and Saturday night your total cost will be $50.

If you have Pay Pal I would greatly appreciate you sending me your payment in advance - [email protected]

If you just prefer to give me cash at the event, that's fine too. I'm good with it either way.

Keep in mind that those prices include the entertainment we have coming Friday night and also the cost for a port-a-potty rental, non-alcoholic beverages and hopefully all you can eat each night. There will be no other costs that I will ask from you. I have based this on the estimated $1,200 of expenses and based it on only 20 people being in attendance, plus my contribution. Should I collect anything in excess of my out of pocket expenses, that will allow me to give our chefs a little bit of money to thank them for their time preparing everything for us as well as throwing in a small tip to our entertainment.

****Full breakfast will be at Shoneys next to the Inn of Clanton, where we will meet Friday and Saturday morning around 8 am, have breakfast then depart on our rides. The Shoneys breakfast is included in the hotel rate for those staying at the hotel. Those of us staying at the campsite will have to pay for our breakfast individually.

Routes

Our good friend Tiger_993 is not going to be in attendance, but he did take the time to prepare gpx versions of four routes I sent to him. Here is the link to my Dropbox that contains the gpx files.

SFO - Garmin Compatible Routes

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. I anticipate that we are going to have a great time and have some great riding conditions. Should anyone have any questions feel free to post up here or send me a PM.

I can tell you, I'm really, really bummed that I'm not going to be able to make it down for this. You guys please take plenty of photos to share with those of us who would like to be there but can't swing it this time around.

I was just told that my plant is going into a shutdown/turnaround starting Tuesday the 25th.
uhoh.gif

Any last minute hopes I had are disappearing in a cloud of ethylene...

Damm it!!!

A fall gathering of southern riders just ain't worth a crap without redfishes.

I hate it when the real world gets in the way...

1 week until I launch for the south....

looking forward to this!!!!

hopefully no bike issues for this trip..... I haven't had the best of luck lately.

Now I gotta decide which suit to wear, and how much to pack. lol

Damm it!!!
A fall gathering of southern riders just ain't worth a crap without redfishes.

I hate it when the real world gets in the way...
Andrew's dad doesn't have a job! He is the cooler, more fun, better looking, and skilled rider of the two of them.

Edit: I forgot tougher, smarter, funnier, and more everything.....shall I go on?

In reality, I will miss u both!!

It ain't over until my wife sings...

Or something like that.

I have been and will remain silent until I know for sure what will happen. That is why I have not committed one way or the other on this thread. It would be an honor to meet everyone involved in this gathering and it would be wonderful to see old friends again.

Pop worked in a plant for years, he understands my situation. I doubt seriously that he would even consider going off without me.

Regardless, I wish all of you the best.