SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if one of you computer savy guys brings a laptop or tablet to SFO, and has any working knowledge of the Tom Tom GPS software, you can show me how to get an Internet generated route into my Rider GPS? I've spent way more time on this than I care to. The short version is: (1) I have no idea what I am doing, (2) everything I've tried doesn't work, (3) consuming alcohol makes me feel better but the Tom Tom doesn't care, and oh by the way (4) I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing.

Regardless and fortunately, I know how to get to SFO, with or without the GPS....

Maybe if one of you computer savy guys brings a laptop or tablet to SFO, and has any working knowledge of the Tom Tom GPS software, you can show me how to get an Internet generated route into my Rider GPS? I've spent way more time on this than I care to. The short version is: (1) I have no idea what I am doing, (2) everything I've tried doesn't work, (3) consuming alcohol makes me feel better but the Tom Tom doesn't care, and oh by the way (4) I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing.
Regardless and fortunately, I know how to get to SFO, with or without the GPS....
I got you Pants.

I have the Garmin, but can switch over to the TOM TOM.

I absolutely detest BaseCamp! Like Pants - the short version for me is:

(1) I have no idea what I am doing, (2) everything I've tried doesn't work, (3) consuming alcohol makes me feel better but the Tom Tom Garmin Zumo doesn't care, and oh by the way (4) I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing.

Thank goodness I know how to get to Jemison without it!

See y'all Thursday!!!!!!
punk.gif
bike.gif

Forecast for the Birmingham area this coming week ---

WED

OCT 26

Partly Cloudy

81° 62° 10% SSE 9 mph

THU

OCT 27

AM Clouds/PM Sun
81° 59° 20% SW 7 mph

FRI

OCT 28
Sunny
84° 58° 10% NNW 5 mph

SAT

OCT 29
Sunny
85° 56° 0% WSW 9 mph

SUN

OCT 30
Sunny
81° 55° 10% WNW 8 mph

MON

OCT 31
Sunny
80° 55° 10% NW 5 mph

Not quite as cool as we would prefer for the campers, but comfortable temps. Saturday high of 85, but it shouldn't be too bad, as it will be after 12 before the temp even gets to 80. Very little chance of rain. All in all, I think we've been blessed with excellent weather for the upcoming shindig!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of torn on how to dress, looks like I won't need my heated gear, and the waterproof/lined jacket and pants should do the trick. Looks like it stands a chance to be dry from Oklahoma on over, and on the way back. That would be fantastic!

Kind of torn on how to dress, looks like I won't need my heated gear, and the waterproof/lined jacket and pants should do the trick. Looks like it stands a chance to be dry from Oklahoma on over, and on the way back. That would be fantastic!
That's typically how I roll at 80 and below, lined pants, but with mesh jacket instead and layer up in the morning, peel off layers as the day warms up, then reverse if necessary into the late afternoon.

Better late then never, I'm signed up and look forward to hanging with some of my FJR brethren and I will stick out like a sore thumb since I will be dressed like a pirate, but please don't hold that against me. Now just praying for two UPS 2 days to arrive and Fed EX to drop off a couple of new helmets around noon time in order to not screw up my departure time.

It's just like Christmas but it's just a bit early for that. . . .

Kaismo

Well the trip begins....

Paypal was sent this morning. I left Michigan early afternoon and decided to bed down just north of Knoxville. Meeting up with a buddy tomorrow AM and a local sportbike group that I know tomorrow afternoon for some spirited riding. I'll make my way to AL Thursday perhaps stopping at Barber.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

I'm at the beginning of charaholla sky way in a cabin for the night. Will ride charaholla tomorrow, and tail of the Dragon then will twiddle my thumbs down into south Carolina,Georgia and into Alabama. My nephew had to go to north Carolina for work so had to fill in couple days. It's awesome getting to go where ever when ever. See everyone Thursday.

I'm all packed and loaded. Got a work thing this morning (it never fails), but come noon, this fat ass is outta here! Nate and I are meeting in the middle and then we head to the campground. Let the adventure begin!

I need advice from the group. On Monday I started feeling like I was coming down with something. I've been slamming the ginger tea/lemon/honey combination and started taking Zicam early on. I'm not nearly 100% but I'm willing to try and make it. I'm confident it was brought on by our swinging weather patterns the last few days and I've had no fever or nasty junk in my sinuses. What are your opinions? Any home remedies that I can try? The plan was/is to leave at 6am tomorrow morning and run the full 850 miles.

If you have congestion, you need an expectorant or its just a matter of time before you get a respiratory infection. I find that Musinex OTC expectorant to be fantastic. You can get it "no name" at any drug store too - works just as well for me.

Dilution is the solution to pollution - drink TONS of water.

Finally - I've taken Dayquil or Nightquil to relieve cold like symptoms.

Obviously I'm not a doctor - take all of this with a grain of salt and a TON of common sense. Don't ride if you can't, but if you can, please join us!!!!

Jealous ... JSNS!
You know, we do have airports in Alabama. I know it's hard to believe...
rolleyes.gif
and I have extra bikes.... JSNS
smile.png

Seriously, we'd luv to have you Niehart - there will be a special pie on the table each night in your honor for sure! Thanks buddy!

I need advice from the group. On Monday I started feeling like I was coming down with something. I've been slamming the ginger tea/lemon/honey combination and started taking Zicam early on. I'm not nearly 100% but I'm willing to try and make it. I'm confident it was brought on by our swinging weather patterns the last few days and I've had no fever or nasty junk in my sinuses. What are your opinions? Any home remedies that I can try? The plan was/is to leave at 6am tomorrow morning and run the full 850 miles.
Stose - really? You have all year you can come down with something and you choose this week?
bad.gif
Sounds like you've been doing about all you can. The last thing you want to do is push yourself when you aren't feeling well. I'm no doc, but with no fever and no junk in the sinuses, I'm saying you are ready to roll in the a.m. Plenty of fluids between now and then, vitamin C and Halls for a minor sore throat while you ride. It's amazing how the wind in the face cures so many ills.... Even if it's just to Little Rock or Memphis, then bring it the rest of the way Friday.... Keep us posted!

Well, it's really exciting to know that so many are already en route. Safe travels in to all. We'll plan to come pick everyone up at the hotel Thursday, Friday and Saturday night around 6 pm. If you are staying at the hotel, link up with someone you see on an FJR, one of those will have been in contact with me for sure....

Stose - really? You have all year you can come down with something and you choose this week?
bad.gif
Sounds like you've been doing about all you can. The last thing you want to do is push yourself when you aren't feeling well. I'm no doc, but with no fever and no junk in the sinuses, I'm saying you are ready to roll in the a.m. Plenty of fluids between now and then, vitamin C and Halls for a minor sore throat while you ride. It's amazing how the wind in the face cures so many ills.... Even if it's just to Little Rock or Memphis, then bring it the rest of the way Friday.... Keep us posted!

Well, it's really exciting to know that so many are already en route. Safe travels in to all. We'll plan to come pick everyone up at the hotel Thursday, Friday and Saturday night around 6 pm. If you are staying at the hotel, link up with someone you see on an FJR, one of those will have been in contact with me for sure....
Every time I schedule vacation I pray during the week prior because I always get sick like this. I think its my body starting to calm down knowing that I'll have time off and blammo! Definitely drinking all the water I can stand. I'll keep you guys posted.

Echinacea and Vitamin C. The echinacea at least twice a day, 500mg Vitamin C every couple of hours. If you think that you're actually getting a cold, the zinc lozenges are supposedly beneficial, but they eff up your taste buds.

Echinacea and Vitamin C. The echinacea at least twice a day, 500mg Vitamin C every couple of hours. If you think that you're actually getting a cold, the zinc lozenges are supposedly beneficial, but they eff up your taste buds.
I heard the same thing with Zycam that goes in your nose. You lose your sense of smell for a while. So far I haven't had any issues. I'm taking a multivitamin that has 100% daily allotment of vitamin C as well. Looks like the vitamin C is only 40mg for an entire day. Looks like I'll be making a run to the store.

Thanks everyone for your tips!

Temperature of 104.5 looks like I'm out this year guys :(