SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I used to umpire baseball in Hoover--'zat score me any points?
Yerrrrrrrr ooouuuggghhhhhhtttttaaaaaaaaa hheeerrreee!
Exactly! Hell, my father used to coach at the original Hoover municipal park. He may have even cussed you at some point.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Wow FJRBandit, this sounds super. I have been dying to camp, but just do not have the time to drive the 8 hrs right now to the mountains.

I'm interested, still have my 2007 FJR, but have not been active on the forum in a while, due to too many home projects. It is only 3 hrs from me, I'm in Bay Minette. I'd probably camp one night and return the next to home since I'm so close.

punk.gif

Update from me:

1. $60 has been sent via paypal Turk

2. Seth Laam called today and said my seats would be shipped tomorrow
yes2.gif

3. Eyes have really started to focus in, feeling as good if not better than 20/20 in each eye. Laser surgery is the best!

4. Oil/filter and maintenance is done on the bike, and she's ready to go. Now all I have to do is find time to pack.

5. My Sena SMH10 with earbud attachment failed yesterday so I rushed over to Amazon and purchased a new headset for the trip...not a moments too soon

New tire---------------------------------------------------check

heated clothing wired---------------------------------- check

Key left on for four days while at Kansas race----check

battery recharged and prayer said------------------check

60$ cash in wallet --------------------------------------check

Bike will get packed tonight and I will depart saturday morning and will sniff flowers to SFO via nachez trace pkwy, Jack Daniels tour, Barber museum.

Well today is "pack the bike day". I could do it in an hour, but I'll take my time today and savor the preparation. I'll pause at times and think about how much fun we are going to have. Maybe I'll take a nip of my firewater just to put me in the mood.

I'll also check the bike out mechanically inside and out. It's an exercise in futility because everyone knows that bike is rock solid and ready to go wherever I tell it to go. But I'll put on some 80s rock and just enjoy the north wind whiffing into my shop. Maybe I'll sit for a while on my shop stool and just stare at her like a 15 year old kid at his first peep show.

Last night, I poured myself the last bit out of a special bottle of whiskey over a couple of ice cubes. I went outside and just stood in the driveway thinking. The stars are out - good visibility in the sky now. Temperature was falling and occasionally, that wind on my legs was just a tad nippy. The weather is right - thank Heavens the sauna is finally over for the year. This is camping weather - no doubt what so ever.

It's time, ya'll. Get your shit together because it won't be long now. Come on Wednesday - I'm ready to head northeast......

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see- here in the north, it was 40* when I woke up this morning, bundled up (because of the wind- "realfeel" was 33*), and headed off to work. I am for certain packing the heated jacket, pants, and socks. Wait- probably wearing, not packing. At least until I get a bit farther south.

Days are getting shorter and temperatures are getting colder- but the leaves are changing into a beautiful array of colors, farmers are harvesting, and the apple cider is at its peak!!

I start trekking south on Tuesday afternoon. Gotta get out of town before the Halloween parade begins.

I'll be at Barber on Thursday morning- if anyone else had thoughts.....

I hear ya Pants! The nip in the air just feels right and with Poolboy's departure this morning it just means that this thing is officially underway. I luv it when a plan comes together!

BTW - while you are sitting around on your shop stool this morning, here's a little 70's rock for you to enjoy... the lead guitarist in this clip is Allen Barlow. Why do I point this out you may ask? Well, Allen is the guitarist who will be performing for us, live, Friday night at SFO. I've been warning you folks we were in for a treat...

For those of you in New York and Pennsylvania, you have an opportunity to see this great show next month. The Black Jacket Symphony will be performing Pink Floyd's - Dark Side of the Moon album in it's entirety, note for note, word for word at the Beacon Theatre in Manhattan on Friday, November 18, at the Santander Arena in Reading, PA Saturday, November 19th and at the Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh on Sunday, November 20th. After performing the album, they'll take a short break then come back and play a host of Pink Floyd's greatest hits. It will be a show you don't want to miss if you are in the area. For more information just go to Black Jacket Symphony dot com. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I just appreciate great live musical performances and I have had the good fortune of being able to see them play shows from various bands here in Birmingham and now throughout the Southeast for the past seven years. They NEVER disappoint!

Anyway, Mrs. Bandit and I are headed to Jemison this morning on the gorgeous fall day to work on some final preparations to host the upcoming event. We are excited to have everyone and look forward to showing you around our State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, Mrs. Bandit and I are headed to Jemison this morning on the gorgeous fall day to work on some final preparations to host the upcoming event. We are excited to have everyone and look forward to showing you around our State.
Dang, I sure wish I could make this one... it's definitely on my radar for next year! B)

Tyler - it wasn't THAT bottle of whiskey. That solder died some time ago....

However, replacing it in person... I'm definitely down with that.

Might I suggest that if you are planning on travelling in from the north down I-65 either Thursday or Friday afternoon after 3-4pm, that you select an alternate route south of Birmingham. The rush hour traffic is pretty tough between 3:30 and 6 pm.

Here's a couple of suggestions for you. Either will end up taking you about the same amount of time, but a much better ride instead of sitting in the rush hour fumes, fuming.
fool.gif

https://goo.gl/maps/tuYEthGWiWQ2

https://goo.gl/maps/TvrEP5USfCq

Those of you at Barber Thursday afternoon should consider this route.

https://goo.gl/maps/gvwSfx5SeNH2

I'm off to the races this morning - it's 'dega, baby!

Right now I'm hating me some Garmin. Well, at least BaseCamp. I did two routes, one north and one south of Atlanta. Loaded them into the unit, and suddenly the mileages are off (by a lot) and the southern one goes back north to I85 and through ATL. Grrr. May just do a paper turn list.

Well, I still don't love BaseCamp, but I now have a northern and southern route plotted out and loaded, as well as the SFO loops downloaded (hadda use Firefox; Safari downloads .gpx files as .txt...useless) and installed. I think I'm going to do "turn lists" in case the navigation gremlins strike.

I make "Trips" right on the GPS by hand. Loaded the SFO routes into my Google maps and viewed them online and entered them in as new trips, for a total o f 4. I do everything on the unit and have for years.

Takes a little while, but I'm usually satisfied with the results. I've been running Linux for years here and needed something that worked. Might not be perfect, but works for me.

Thanks for the heads up on traffic FJRBandit.