Sick 2006A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possibility that has not been mentioned is a build up or carbon deposits on the back of the intake valves. Many mid-80 Volkswagen and BMW engines had a problem with buildup that would result in bad compression numbers. The buildup came from using generic gasoline that did not have a high detergent content.

Examined my scoot today. Snuck into the service dept as no one was looking.. located her over in the corner, rags over the cams making a FMEA zone.. lifted the rags and saw.. nothing really new. Looks just like my 79 Kz1300, just smaller and more compact. Sure, the cam drive chain is on the right side instead of centrally located, but, all in all, pretty much the same. Makes me want to perform my own work next time. Different story though, that thought is..

Spoke to the service manager, Vince. Asked to see a list of the parts ordered, he was very open to show, even printed the list out. I noticed, thank you MadMike2, that head bolts had NOT been ordered. Vince immideatley asked Ivan, the tech, if they were needed, I was pretty sure I heard a DOH! YES!... So, in this case, the informed consumer was actually correct.. hooray for us I say.

So all the parts should be in mananna, the young girl will have her skirt fully lifted.. I requested to view/examine all the parts, Vince was cool with that but did say the parts were going back to Yamaha as 'they have expressed specific interest' in this case. hmm. just my luck, eh?

So, will keep ya'll posted and Thanks so much for all your helpful WOW. (words of wisdom)

Oh, the power of the internet. I mentioned there were about 1,000 folks *really* interested to see what caused this failure, on fjrforum.com, and boy did the eyebrows lift! :rolleyes:

So all the parts should be in mananna, the young girl will have her skirt fully lifted.. I requested to view/examine all the parts, Vince was cool with that but did say the parts were going back to Yamaha as 'they have expressed specific interest' in this case. hmm. just my luck, eh?

Take some photos of said parts if'n you can ;)

Another possibility that has not been mentioned is a build up or carbon deposits on the back of the intake valves.

I keep seeing TV commercials showing a valve that looks like it was used to test if a brownie was done, and saying "Shell Gas vs Crap brand".... I'm probably paraphrasing, but that is the gist of it. Could the propaganda be true?

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Jestal,

You present many helpful and enlightening pieces of information. My appreciation!

The reason I implied earlier that it can happen is due to first hand experience. 1985 Jetta that at one time had compression readings in the neighborhood of 120-115-60-115. Two full tanks of gas with super duper VW cleaner treatment and the compression on the dog cylinder was back up to 115.

Some of the oil companies eliminated additives in their gasoline that minimized carb deposits, intake valve deposits, etc. back in the mid 80's as fuel injection was coming of age. They reasoned that the detergents weren't necessary anymore as carburetors were disappearing. Then port fuel injectors started plugging. Lots of driveablity issues. So the oil companies put the additives back in that eliminated the injector deposits but CAUSED intake valve deposits. They did not reinstate the intake valve deposit detergents. This was fine for a few years again but as port fuel injection systems improved and new engine designs came on board with improved injector targeting the intake valve deposit issue (as in picture) reared it's ugly head in the form of driveability issues. Several manufacturers had rather severe problems with hesitations, stalls when cold and severe hesitations and backfires when cold accels were attempteds due to the intake deposits acting like sponges and soaking up the excess fuel on open throttle transients. Surprisingly, these problems were pronounced in the OEMs that touthed their state-of-the art injector targeting which aimed straight at the back side of the intake valve....(BMW, Audi, Mercedes, were some of the more promenent ones) as well as stray engines from different manufacturers that had different injector targeting from other versions of the engine. It really DOES make a difference where the injector is located and how it is aimed...... The high tech systems with "perfect" targeting could get away with less transient fueling which made them gag when the deposits soaked up what little transient fueling (the accelerator pump shot if you will....) was being delivered.
The oil companies got on the saddle pretty quick and put all the additives/detergents back into the fuel.

Keep in mind that virtually all the gasoline in a given area comes from the same source, same pipeline, same terminall. The only difference will be the additive package in Shell, Mobil, Exxon, etc..... The additive package costs money so that is one way a discount gasoline retailer can save money to sell cheaper. Gas is the same but the additives might be less or non-existence. Even with constant use of cheap gas the occasional tankfull of Mobil Premium will usually alleviate any deposit buildup concerns.

Shell's ad has the grain of truth (IN MY OPINION) that their properly additive fortified gasoline will prevent the deposits that you MIGHT get on your intake valves if you use the crappy cheap stuff religiously.

That valve LOOKS horrible but I wouldn't have a second thought about it unless it was in my race car.....LOL. In your normal transportation engine it wouldn't mean a thing.

Besides, the technology of the injection systems has progressed to the point that most do not care about intake valve deposits anyway so that valve in the picture would run flawlessly.

I have never heard of intake valve deposits being so bad as to cause loss of compression as implied in an earlier post. Not saying that it couldn't happen but the driveability issues with BMW and others back in the late 80's blamed on intake deposits had nothing to do with holding the valve open and loosing compression but from the aforementioned fuel containment on transients.

Back in the 40/50/60's era the fuels of the day could build up hideous intake deposits that would start to resemble a golf ball clinging to the stem under the head. You can probably find pictures in an old text book. I don't know of anyone that has seen anything like that from modern fuels in years.....unless they happened to drag a 100K mile chevy out of a barn that has been in storage for 50 years.....LOL. That is what Shell would like you to remember, though, those pictures of hideous intake valve deposits when you buy gas.
Where in the world do you come up with all this crap? There is so much untruth here I wouldn't even know where to start. Jestal if you are going to post shit as fact then at least try to get some of the facts straight before you post them. I am not going to go through and correct all your errors. You just need to do your homework and correct them yourself and quit posting BS.

Where in the world do you come up with all this crap? There is so much untruth here I wouldn't even know where to start. Jestal if you are going to post shit as fact then at least try to get some of the facts straight before you post them. I am not going to go through and correct all your errors. You just need to do your homework and correct them yourself and quit posting BS.

Hope we can stay focused on the original topic, low compression. The dick swinging offers little help.

Hope we can stay focused on the original topic, low compression. The dick swinging offers little help.
And the help you are trying to offer is ?????

Geesh warsw, having a bad day? If you have some facts to back up your attack on Jestal, then let's hear them. Otherwise, rule #5. "No personal attacks. However, when some asshat desperately needs it for violating Rules 1-4, group dog-piles are perfectly acceptable."

I don't see how Jestal violated rules 1-4 either, so I must conclude you are having a really bad day. I won't stoop to using the :fuk icon on you, but this sure seems out of character for you and frankly I'm surprised.

OTOH, if you do have examples, scientific evidence, that Jestal is if full of poop, then present it! ..and present it as 'Gee, I disagree, here is why'; not as you did. Of course, you are grown man and can do what you want.

IMHO, Jestal has provided many valuable, insightful, educated and experienced opinions to this board for free. I will not stand by for what I perceive to be an attack on him. Not that I can stop you, but until you can provide evidence to support your case... :angry:

..now, back to thread - I got the good news today that due to the failure, I won't be charged for 4 hours of valve adjustment!

..now, back to thread - I got the good news today that due to the failure, I won't be charged for 4 hours of valve adjustment!
OOohhhh, so this is a money saving adventure. Waaaay keweel! Like when the wife/SO comes home from the mall and proceeds to tell you about all the money she saved? :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that virtually all the gasoline in a given area comes from the same source, same pipeline, same terminall. The only difference will be the additive package in Shell, Mobil, Exxon, etc.....
Lets just start with an easy one. I have worked for the oil companies for over 35yrs and know exactly how the gas is distributed. "This is not even close".

Jestal, beings this is your statement I think that you need to do your homework and do the research and repost how it really is. I will let you know if you are getting warm. I know that you, for some reason, seem to have a lot of followers and I think that you owe it to them to get your facts straight.

:fans: :jerry: ......lets get ready to rumble......
So can we pick this one up where the oil thread left off?

Warsw, what is your version of the truth?

..and my neighbor, in his former life a tanker big rig truck driver, has told me several times of driving to a distribution point, filling up the tanks, then delivering to 'company A', immediately followed by driving back to the same distribution point, filling up, and driving to 'company B'. Same base stock. Different additives.

Sorry warsw, but going on faith alone just ain't cutting it. Please provide facts to prove your position.

... and, guyz, after another 10 posts on this diversion, can we please get back to the fact that it's MY BABY that's sick? The one I worked over time hours to purchase on a limited budget and now is having major surgery? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.