Sick 2006A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where in the world do you come up with all this crap? There is so much untruth here I wouldn't even know where to start. Jestal if you are going to post shit as fact then at least try to get some of the facts straight before you post them. I am not going to go through and correct all your errors. You just need to do your homework and correct them yourself and quit posting BS.
Geesh warsw, having a bad day? If you have some facts to back up your attack on Jestal, then let's hear them. Otherwise, rule #5. "No personal attacks. However, when some asshat desperately needs it for violating Rules 1-4, group dog-piles are perfectly acceptable."

I don't see how Jestal violated rules 1-4 either, so I must conclude you are having a really bad day. I won't stoop to using the :fuk icon on you, but this sure seems out of character for you and frankly I'm surprised.

OTOH, if you do have examples, scientific evidence, that Jestal is if full of poop, then present it! ..and present it as 'Gee, I disagree, here is why'; not as you did. Of course, you are grown man and can do what you want.

IMHO, Jestal has provided many valuable, insightful, educated and experienced opinions to this board for free. I will not stand by for what I perceive to be an attack on him. Not that I can stop you, but until you can provide evidence to support your case... :angry:

..now, back to thread - I got the good news today that due to the failure, I won't be charged for 4 hours of valve adjustment!
dcarver, I am truly sorry for ruffling your feathers. You are one of the most respected members of this forum. I know that it probably would have been better for me to just sit back and bite my tongue and maybe I did come on a little strong but sometimes when you see someone like jestal, that everyone seem to take his word as gospel, posting crap as fact I just can't help myself. I can see the dog pile forming and I can't fight you all so I will just sit here and squirm and let you all believe as you want.

So, Warsw, how is it distributed? Enlighten me and prove me wrong so I don't have to sit at the terminal in Pontiac tomorrow and take pictures of Mobil tankers filling up after Speedway tankers who were in line with BP tankers....??? Or should I go to the Marathon terminal in downriver Detroit and catalogue the tankers pulling in there?
There are areas of the country that are served by many terminals, sure, and some brands do carry their own fuel for long distances and keep it in house but the fact is that most of the fuel in the tanks at service stations across the country comes from the same source in a given geographic area. On the eastern seaboard I know that HESS carries their own fuel from their own terminals, for example. Looking at the US as a whole, however, the majority of the country is served from pipeline terminals that serve as hubs for gasoline delivery and the same basic gas gets pumped into the tankers going to a variety of stations.

I have seen irrefutable evidence of this with several fuel related "warranty" issues that have cropped up over the years in automobiles. Seeing as you are with the fuel industry you can attest to how poorly regulated and controlled the fuel that is that is delivered via pipelines is and how "occasionally" something other than gasoline is delivered along with your gasoline. We have seen warranty cases crop in specific geographic areas from multiple gas station brands......turns out they were all served by the same terminal in that locatoin regardless of brand. And they all got the same dose of contaminants....whether it be peroxides that eat fuel hoses or high sulphur that fouls fuel level sending units....for example.

I tried to boil the fuel delivery scheme down to a nutshell and I presented what is the fact for most of the country. Someone living in Houston might get their fuel at any given station from 5 ro 6 different terminals but the MAJORITY of the country works like I said. BEsides, I konw people that work in the petroleum industry, too and I have gotten the same story from them many times. Yours apparently is different. Maybe you work for a different company or something.

So....I'm all ears and eyes and ready to read your dissertation on how the fuel delivery system works these days. I am the most open minded guy in the world and love to be proved wrong....you just have to present info other than what I have learned in the past 35 years on the auto industry.

Just don't tell me you work for Shell and how superior their gasoline is..... :D :D :D
You’re still very cold. I think that you need to hone your research skills. Keep trying. Hint: count the number of tanks.

You’re still very cold. I think that you need to hone your research skills. Keep trying. Hint: count the number of tanks.
I've been reading and waiting for the other side of this rather harshly started "debate".

I guess this is IT???? :(

Summarizing what I have learned from this: jestal posts crap, if we knew warsw better, we wouldn't have to ask, and jestal is still very cold. Hmmmmm, wonder where that leaves the rest of us?

You gotta admit, jestal: warsw IS much more succinct than you are. :p :D ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
..and my neighbor, in his former life a tanker big rig truck driver, has told me several times of driving to a distribution point, filling up the tanks, then delivering to 'company A', immediately followed by driving back to the same distribution point, filling up, and driving to 'company B'. Same base stock. Different additives. Sorry warsw, but going on faith alone just ain't cutting it. Please provide facts to prove your position.

... and, guyz, after another 10 posts on this diversion, can we please get back to the fact that it's MY BABY that's sick? The one I worked over time hours to purchase on a limited budget and now is having major surgery? :rolleyes:
This may be true in some cases. Cut-rate station will buy from anyone (where every they can get the best price). Most major brands use their own trucks. You will never see, for instance, a Shell truck in a Chevron station delivering gas. The major oil companies are very proud of their products and work very hard to keep their products their own.

I've been reading and waiting for the other side of this rather harshly started "debate".

I guess this is IT???? :(

Summarizing what I have learned from this: jestal posts crap, if we knew warsw better, we wouldn't have to ask, and jestal is still very cold. Hmmmmm, wonder where that leaves the rest of us?

You gotta admit, jestal: warsw IS much more succinct than you are. :p :D ;)
OK,OK, I will let you guys in on how it is really done. The problem is I am running out of time for tonight so tomorrow I will give you a step by step. I will even start a new post so as not to butcher dcarvers post any longer. Sorry dcarver.

Why all this talk of gas? I saw Don fill up the FJR with high octane avation fuel right before this problem.

BUT....nothing prevents any given gas station owner from buying fuel from whoever he wants. There are "comapny stores" I know that will always use the branded fuel but the independent franshise owners can (and do) buy from whoever they want. There is absolutely NO guarantee that any given branded station is selling that brands gasoline from their tanks that day.
If they fly there colors they must sell there gas.

Besides, what the majors have is the additive package. The gasoline is the same. Different tankers get different adds, yes, but the gas comes down the same pipeline to the terminal.
I will explane this to you later today. Right now it is off to work.

I worked closely with a drag race team that ran out of mid-Florida and personally went to a race at Gainesville with them back in the mid 90's. At the time that team held the NHRA National Record in T/SA with a front wheel drive Cadillac Seville. You can look this up and prove me right. They were sponsored by Texaco and their car looked like a Texaco bill board with "System 3" prominently displayed as that was Texaco's gasoline marketing line of the moment. We filled the race car with fresh System 3 premium just south of Gainesville off the interstate at a large Texaco station. Went to the track and were the #3 qualifier in Stock/SuperStock. Got bounced at tech for "unapproved" fuel. Very embarrassing as a lot of Florida Texaco people were there at the Gatornationals. Told the Texaco marketing guys what had happened and where the fuel was bought. That station lost their franchise as a result. The fuel they were pumping was not Texaco fuel and was 15% methanol. After the fuel didn't pass tech we quickly tested it by mixing some with water and proved to the Texaco guys that the fuel had alcohol in it and System 3 fuel did not use alcohol. The majors may be very proud of their additive packages but they cannot guarantee that the stations buy their fuel.
You answered your own question. A Texaco station sold something other than Texaco gas and lost there franchise. Now you are getting warm.

Warsz, you've had your chance, in my mind to provide endless detail on just how wrong I am. You didn't. You continue with inuendo and one line comments about how you could but just don't feel like it. I say bullshit. Get off my back. Unless you can post something factual I'll just assume that you will disagree with me and you can save the bandwidth posting what an idiot I am. Either that our you cannot type...???? Or maybe you are my office mate sitting in the next cube trying to get a rise out of me..... :D :D :D
Like I said I will give you a step by step but it will be later on today. Pay attention you may learn something.

Came across this elsewhere, and dug it up again today, since I had been thinking about it yesterday as a lesson I still haven't learned. Seems that some of the sharp "debating" comments here suffer from the same problem I have to one degree or another, so I thought I'd post if for some to heed, . . . or not:

"...it was through Pride that the devil became the devil; Pride leads to every other vice; it is the complete anti-God state of mind. ... There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others."

- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity**

** Mods -- this is NOT intended to be a religious post, but I copped this from a signature of someone whose thinking I respect on another site, and I felt the attribution was worth noting -- I only WISH I could write something so profound about how we act.

BTW, I'm still interested to find out what the heck was causing dcarver's bike's symptoms, and on that topic, I'm thinking that jestal is adding a lot more to the diagnostic issue than most anyone else.

warsw - "If they fly there colors they must sell there gas."

They may have to buy "some" gas from whoever's colors they are flying but they don't have to buy ALL their gas from them. And they don't. At least not in Houston.

My close friend works at the largest oil refinery in the USA in Baytown, TX and gas from there goes out under many different names. He laughs about it all the time - but Exxon still makes the profits.

Just like when I worked for Union Carbide and the anti-freeze we made (Prestone) was bottled under at least twenty other company names. Same stuff - just different logo on the bottle.

That said - let's get this back on topic and figure out why that bike had such low compression.

Like I said I will give you a step by step but it will be later on today. Pay attention you may learn something.
Would you kindly do us a favor when you eventually respond? Start another thread and add a link here in this one. (If you need help in "how" that's done, PM me and I'll be happy to explain it). That way anyone (and there are those who would) who wants to follow your discourse with Jestal can do so. It will allow this thread to remain on track for those who are following Don's problem with his bike and won't get this entire informational thread moved to the NERPT section.

Thanks.

dcarver, I am truly sorry for ruffling your feathers. You are one of the most respected members of this forum. I know that it probably would have been better for me to just sit back and bite my tongue and maybe I did come on a little strong but sometimes when you see someone like jestal, that everyone seem to take his word as gospel, posting crap as fact I just can't help myself. I can see the dog pile forming and I can't fight you all so I will just sit here and squirm and let you all believe as you want.
so, how about everyone agree to ask the admins to split all this thread hijack off into it's own thread? it could help keep focused on this issue we're all interested and and let the member measurement thread continue without abusing Dcarver?

"...it was through Pride that the devil became the devil; Pride leads to every other vice; it is the complete anti-God state of mind. ... There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others."- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity**
an entertaining fiction writer. how can you have the anti- to a nul? perhaps a Giant Spaghetti Monster than can't fly? :lol:

Pride leads to every other vice; ... There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others.
an entertaining fiction writer. how can you have the anti- to a nul? perhaps a Giant Spaghetti Monster than can't fly? :lol:
There, fixed it to be limited only to the part I'd meant to reference. Should've known better than to post all of what I copied, with attribution. (This also solves the potential religious post transgression.) I know very little about the author, and it's ok with me if you disagree with a sentiment I thought was compelling.

I agree with your suggestion to split this thread, however. It went way off the otherwise salient topic.

warsw - "If they fly there colors they must sell there gas."
They may have to buy "some" gas from whoever's colors they are flying but they don't have to buy ALL their gas from them. And they don't. At least not in Houston.

My close friend works at the largest oil refinery in the USA in Baytown, TX and gas from there goes out under many different names. He laughs about it all the time - but Exxon still makes the profits.

Just like when I worked for Union Carbide and the anti-freeze we made (Prestone) was bottled under at least twenty other company names. Same stuff - just different logo on the bottle.

That said - let's get this back on topic and figure out why that bike had such low compression.
A major company like Exxon may sell their gas to a lot of, what I call cut-rate dealers, stations that sell gas but don't produce any, but you will find only Exxon gas in a Exxon station.

[SIZE=18pt]AAaaarrrrgggghhhhhh! He just doesn't get it![/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]WARSAW....start your own thread about gasoline brands and leave this one....[/SIZE]

SUPPOSEDLY about Dcarvers's bike, and its attendant possible ramifications to other FJR owners, to posts about THE FREAKIN' BIKE!

Go open your own thread with whatever topic heading you want and begin a discussion anew with salient facts. Others will come and read, perhaps discuss the topic and leave this thread for its intended purpose

TO REPORT ON A NEW ISSUE/PROBLEM THAT HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED BEFORE.

THIS issue IS important to the FJR owners.

[SIZE=18pt]WARSAW....start your own thread about gasoline brands and leave this one....[/SIZE]

SUPPOSEDLY about Dcarvers's bike, and its attendant possible ramifications to other FJR owners, to posts about THE FREAKIN' BIKE!

Go open your own thread with whatever topic heading you want and begin a discussion anew with salient facts. Others will come and read, perhaps discuss the topic and leave this thread for its intended purpose

Dang, my monitor was shaking from that comment. :cryingsmiley:

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.