Something Happened On The Way To Dover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Perry,

What a terrific leg 3 you rode last year. I think the decision has been made, but she is enjoying making me wait. :.)

Either way I will be on the sidelines or seat cheering the FJR riders for a 3-peat!

I applaud your decision, gut feelings are real and should be listened to. I would guess most rally riders question the whole process at times. I do. Congrats on your finish in the '13.

Welcome, CBA member #14!
flirt.gif

In June 2011 I started off to Alaska. I had gotten a month off of work and I packed the bike and off I went. After a couple days while I was in the Ozarks, I started doing the same thinking, do I really want to do this? I decided I did not and I turned around and headed back to FL and the long distance bug has disappeared. I still love to ride but I keep it about 2-300 hundred mile days and not back to back. I don't know if it was mental or physical but the tenacity I once had to just keep riding is no longer there. As stated earlier, just ride your own ride. ride safe all.

Anthony,

You were missed at the banquet. I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Steve kept us updated as riders dropped (without names) from the rally but it didn't even occur to me that one of them was you. If you make Pink's this year, your meal's on me.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do for '15.

-Erik

Anthony,
You were missed at the banquet. I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Steve kept us updated as riders dropped (without names) from the rally but it didn't even occur to me that one of them was you. If you make Pink's this year, your meal's on me.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do for '15.

-Erik
Erik-

Congrats on your ride! You and Paul had great rides.

Everything is upside down right now for me and I am hoping to test the water again this fall to know if I should hang up the clock rides/rallies.

I am finding enjoyment watching the Butt Lite 7 and pulling for the FJRs. I am hoping a friend sees his dream come true with a top 10 finish and

a ticket punched for the IBR. Heck, he is inspiring me right now! 4th after Leg 1!!! I just might have to ride the IBR next year (?)

Are you riding any more rallies this year? Best wishes!

So it was my fault I planned as I did, my fault I felt I "Needed" to finish well, BUT most important here: It was my fault I had my priorities all wrong. My goals were selfish and should have been made around my family- not made my family work around my goals. Lesson learned for me. I am not done LD riding, but it has been moved out of the "Top" priority spot.
Tony, I know where you're coming from. I recall having a "why" conversation with you in Denver after I wrapped up the Butt Lite 6. I have decided to have LD riding take a back seat to family. Money and time are scarce resources these days and I have 2 boys that have things they'd like to do. Like their dad, they pick expensive stuff...

For me, my "why" was why am I doing things to try to be competitive that I don't enjoy? Whether it was building a route where I pass up bonuses I find interesting and would like to visit b/c they are off the optimal route or of little value. Riding down a goat path at o'dark 30 or the need you feel to spend the least amount of time possible at a bonus. I don't need an hour to take in the World's Largest 6-pack of beer, but if I want to spend longer than 27 seconds at a bonus, I don't want to worry about blowing up my rally. Maybe I was just doing it wrong or I realized I will never compete with the big dogs, but I definitely wasn't having enough fun to warrant my approach.

I do like having a rally book full of places to go see, and enjoy riding far to get there. I like the rallies where you get the rally book in advance and can really spend some time with it. We still plan to do a yearly 24-36 hour rally, but it will just be for fun.

I think you made a very respectable choice. You've made many great rides and had a great IBR finish (something that's still on my bucket list). Nothing wrong with shifting priorities.

So it was my fault I planned as I did, my fault I felt I "Needed" to finish well, BUT most important here: It was my fault I had my priorities all wrong. My goals were selfish and should have been made around my family- not made my family work around my goals. Lesson learned for me. I am not done LD riding, but it has been moved out of the "Top" priority spot.
Tony, I know where you're coming from. I recall having a "why" conversation with you in Denver after I wrapped up the Butt Lite 6. I have decided to have LD riding take a back seat to family. Money and time are scarce resources these days and I have 2 boys that have things they'd like to do. Like their dad, they pick expensive stuff...

For me, my "why" was why am I doing things to try to be competitive that I don't enjoy? Whether it was building a route where I pass up bonuses I find interesting and would like to visit b/c they are off the optimal route or of little value. Riding down a goat path at o'dark 30 or the need you feel to spend the least amount of time possible at a bonus. I don't need an hour to take in the World's Largest 6-pack of beer, but if I want to spend longer than 27 seconds at a bonus, I don't want to worry about blowing up my rally. Maybe I was just doing it wrong or I realized I will never compete with the big dogs, but I definitely wasn't having enough fun to warrant my approach.

I do like having a rally book full of places to go see, and enjoy riding far to get there. I like the rallies where you get the rally book in advance and can really spend some time with it. We still plan to do a yearly 24-36 hour rally, but it will just be for fun.

I think you made a very respectable choice. You've made many great rides and had a great IBR finish (something that's still on my bucket list). Nothing wrong with shifting priorities.
Paul it is great to hear from you!

Your comments echoed my thoughts completely. I do not want to discourage other riders from rallying with my post, the bonus locations were out there to have fun.

In this case I just chose to route to win. It was my choice and after I started I realized I had a bigger choice to make; marriage or obsession. I am thinking of doing

Ray King's Florida rally (2 up) for fun. Rally(s) are a great way to visit locations you would not normally visit on your own. Certificate riding is different for me as I have

control over costs much better. I usually sleep at roadside locations (i.e...Chuch entrances, rest stops, parks) I must admit I am feeling an urge to ride (LD) and the urge

is getting stronger. It bugs me to see 190k on the clock for so long.

BTW Jeff Earls (SP) gave a speech to the rookies before the IBR that really was terrific. One of his first lines I recall was something like: Lets face it, you are all here because your selfish.

I remember thinking "How in the heck did my wife get him to say that?" I went into the IBR without blessing from home to say the least, and now one of the most respected riders was

up in front of me taking my wife's side (?) How ironic- yet so true. The IBR was very tough on me mentally.

Last edited by a moderator:
. Certificate riding is different for me as I havecontrol over costs much better. I usually sleep at roadside locations (i.e...Chuch entrances, rest stops, parks)
You and I should compare "rest stops". I even had a fun article published in the Iron Butt Magazine on the subject :D

IMG_0026-L.jpg

Paul it is great to hear from you! Your comments echoed my thoughts completely. I do not want to discourage other riders from rallying with my post, the bonus locations were out there to have fun. In this case I just chose to route to win. It was my choice and after I started I realized I had a bigger choice to make; marriage or obsession. I am thinking of doing Ray King's Florida rally (2 up) for fun. Rally(s) are a great way to visit locations you would not normally visit on your own. Certificate riding is different for me as I have control over costs much better. I usually sleep at roadside locations (i.e...Chuch entrances, rest stops, parks) I must admit I am feeling an urge to ride (LD) and the urge is getting stronger. It bugs me to see 190k on the clock for so long.

BTW Jeff Earls (SP) gave a speech to the rookies before the IBR that really was terrific. One of his first lines I recall was something like: Lets face it, you are all here because your selfish. I remember thinking "How in the heck did my wife get him to say that?" I went into the IBR without blessing from home to say the least, and now one of the most respected riders was up in front of me taking my wife's side (?) How ironic- yet so true. The IBR was very tough on me mentally.
Interesting word you and Mr. Earls use, selfish. That's exactly how I felt. Heading into October last year, my wife and I were certain we would be entering the 2015 IBR draw. My 2nd closest friend on earth suffered a series of strokes and died that month. He was a year older than me and left his 9yr old boy behind. I thought about things for a while and decided that I'd save some of these more "selfish" things for later in life. I've already gotten to do a lot since the LD bug bit me. Lots of great rallies, a couple small cert rides, a 48+ I'll never forget. But for now, I'm putting family stuff first and my big LD plans farther down the list. If we can swing it, we'd like to do the Void rally again in Oct., for fun.

Truth be told, I have yet to swing a leg over my FJR this year. I need to remedy that. That wasn't a conscious choice, just the way life has gone with no rides or rallies planned. So I know what the urge to ride can be like...

Last edited by a moderator: