Spring 2012 Tech Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a tire change (which I plan to do at the meet), do I need to remove the brake rotors? I don't remember from the last time I was there watching if they needed to be removed for process or not.

p.s. The trick on the front axel of using an extender through a spark plug socket works!

For a tire change (which I plan to do at the meet), do I need to remove the brake rotors? I don't remember from the last time I was there watching if they needed to be removed for process or not.

p.s. The trick on the front axel of using an extender through a spark plug socket works!

EDIT: no you don't have to remove the rotors, you do have to remove the calipers (good catch Escapefjrtist!). It is also easier if you remove the front fender

Last edited by a moderator:

If I'm reading this correctly...NO, do not remove the rotors from the wheels. The calipers must be removed to remove the front wheel. Are you riding the bike down or bringing the rims loose?

--G

If I'm reading this correctly...NO, do not remove the rotors from the wheels. The calipers must be removed to remove the front wheel. Are you riding the bike down or bringing the rims loose?

--G
good catch, I read rotors and translated to calipers.

--G
That's what I figured happened Auburn.

Trying to save a set of rotor bolts...might have been a good excuse to install new fancy rotors though! :lol:

See you Saturday.

--G

If possible I would to get on the list for value adjustment, thanks.

Do you have the seals and gaskets on hand to do it? IF you don't contact Panman, he may have extras left over from other orders. If you have them, then we can add you as thesecond bike.

If possible I would to get on the list for value adjustment, thanks.
Do you have the seals and gaskets on hand to do it? IF you don't contact Panman, he may have extras left over from other orders. If you have them, then we can add you as the second bike.
You'll need the following:

- Three qts Coolant.

- Two O rings for water tube.

- Oil Pump Cover gasket.

- Valve Cover Gasket...just in case.

- Spark Plugs...since we're in that far.

A fairly empty fuel tank helps too, say less than three bars. Most of us also run a minimum of two (2) tanks of fuel treated with SeaFoam [1/2 pint each] to improve the valve check results.

--G

--G
Sometimes being a procrastinator is a good thing ;-)

Yeah, I already took the wheels off and will be hauling them down. I did leave the rotors on ;-) Its just that ABS magnet ring looks so fragile just sitting there (not he sensor holder, but the ring that the sensor reads from).

p.s. Bucking the trend on tires, I am trying out a set of Conti Road Attack 2 GTs.

I may be trying to change out a tube on the Matchless. If anyone has a set of tire spoons that won't mar up the rims, I would appreciate you bringing them. Getting the tire off an old bike is certainly more involved than the FJR!

It looks like the weather and other priorities are going to make me MIA for this event......I hope to see everyone at Castlegar in June.......with clear skies and warm weather.

I damaged my exhaust header and need a new. If someone has a used one or knows someone who has one please let me. I would like to buy one locally or possibly have it fixed some how, thanks everyone.

Yes, but I would like tonuse them as a last alternative, I hoping to just fix mine.

With shipping I'm better off buying a new one.

Hello Auburn,

I have been watching this thread with anticipation and now am cleared for Saturday off from work. Would like to join the crew and help out.