Spring PNW Tech Meet #14 - May 2nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. A week and a half out and date still open, so it looks like I am a go for attending.

Escape - what time and location is the north group meeting up? The FJR needs to warm up and our current location is too close to Auburn's for that to occur.

I am in. I hope to get help with a front end wobble I feel at 60 mph on my 2014. I have not been riding in a long time but this just does not feel right.

Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday May 2nd at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you or leave $5 per tire so I can take them to the recycler)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pizza, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart +2

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Ahchiu

Ignacio

JamesW

redneckj

SeattleTy

blufjr

gbrmksmith

BillJr2013

Salish1300

n2osx

wingshot ?

sportsguy

RoadTrip

Chazglenn3

BobbyBlue

WHS

dennisJ

JohnnyB

dagwood

Fontanaman

blubyu

BritRider

Paramonkreel

Greysabor
List is upodated

I am in. I hope to get help with a front end wobble I feel at 60 mph on my 2014. I have not been riding in a long time but this just does not feel right.
We can pair you up with someone to check it out. How many miles on the tires?

I am not sure how many miles are on these tires. The bike had around 7300 miles on it when I bought it. The tires look like they should go another 1500 miles. I do have a new set of tires ready to replace the current ones.

Probably still on the OEM tires. I'd suspect that you have funky wear/minor cupping on the front tire by now and that could definitely cause the wobble.

Lots of knowledge at Tech Day, we'll get it sorted out.

Do make sure the front tire is pumped up good and tight to 40+/- psi to minimize cupping.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure how many miles are on these tires. The bike had around 7300 miles on it when I bought it. The tires look like they should go another 1500 miles. I do have a new set of tires ready to replace the current ones.
Might want to bring the tires with you so you can change them at the tech meet. We have a tire machine and balancing equipment.

Please let me know if you are not going to make it. Trying to finalize the head count for food.

Thanks

Hi,

I would like to attend. I need to replace one head light but would do both since it's a bit of a pita to get to them. I'm not real comfortable tearing apart the whole front end of my bike to get to the head lights! I would also like to sign up for the brake flush if there is still room. If not then I can see how it's done. If there is time it would be cool to change the air filter too. Other than that it would be cool to hang out, talk and see more in depth work done on the bikes.

I will need directions too please.

Scott

I stole this from Intech's tech meet blog but it sure could be one of our fellows.

IMG_0012-1.jpg

I'm a little disappointed that no one is talking about Bryan's driveway ....

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. A lingering question for me is how everyone gets all their equipment there if they are riding? I am hoping to do a TBS, and don't own the vacuum gauge, for example. I know Brian has some stuff, and people help, but tires? I mean, are people driving their bikes there in their truck and bringing their garage?

Will be fun and a good excuse for a ride to a new area. Have a good week everyone!

As wingshot mentions above, for those traveling from the north-end, we'll meet at the $5bucks in Carnation at 8:00AM ish. Should have 8-10 show up if history repeats. For those from the FAR north and are so inclined, you can meet me in Monroe at the Shell station, SW corner of SR2 & 203 at 7:20 for the ride to Carnation.

See all y'all Saturday!

--G

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. A lingering question for me is how everyone gets all their equipment there if they are riding? I am hoping to do a TBS, and don't own the vacuum gauge, for example. I know Brian has some stuff, and people help, but tires? I mean, are people driving their bikes there in their truck and bringing their garage?
Many of the "regulars" are packing extra tools and stuff we typically use at Tech Days. Bryan has a big huge assortment of tools / equipment so there's always plenty to go around. Tires...strap the pair on the back, no biggie.

--G

I'll be riding in from Spokane. I hope to leave Friday by 9 or 10 AM. If anyone is headed in on Friday from this direction, maybe we can meet along the way.

Bill, you might send WHS a personal message. He is coming from Waitsburg. The easiest way to send him a PM is go to his post in this blog and click on his name and it will bring up his info so you can send him a PM.