Superslab Saddlesore

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on possibly attending the Reno Rally...2300 miles from here one way! My wife thinks I've actually lost it.
Quite the opposite has occurred.... you haven't "lost it"; rather, you have "found it".... when one starts LDRiding, one finds out new aspects about themselves that they never knew existed.... B)

I'm planning on possibly attending the Reno Rally...2300 miles from here one way! My wife thinks I've actually lost it.
Quite the opposite has occurred.... you haven't "lost it"; rather, you have "found it".... when one starts LDRiding, one finds out new aspects about themselves that they never knew existed.... B)
+1, I started LDRs, including Iron Butts when I was 62, now 3 years later I know a lot more about what has driven me in nearly everything I did. CHALLENGES, & TRYING TO MEET THEM!!.

Sincerely,

TurboDave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the kind responses. Kind of feel like I joined some kind of club and/or lunatic asylum.

I went on the iba web site to check my paperwork, make sure I had it all in order before I sent it off, and I see they have an around the great lakes in a hundred hours ride. Wonder what the weather and temps in Canada are like in Sept. I've never been to Canada, are the natives friendly, any problems with language, can you drink the water Beer? , and how about food, strange,exotic? Could use some help from the more experenced travelers, I need to get to CFO in Sparta,Ws in Sept. and just need to plan the route. :)

Came through Canada from Winnipeg to Niagara Falls one year, & did a ride through Nova Scotia, PEI, & New Brunswick 2 years later. May do the Canadian Rockies during the WFO ride if we make real good time...

A few observations:

1) Passport makes US Re-Entry much easier

2) Canadians are curteous, friendly, and usually talkative

3) Roads by & large are OK, but they do have a few potholes on the 1 1/2-2 lane back roads. Most Canadian traffic is pretty sparse execept if you drive through Toronto (their NYC).

4) Absolutely no problems with language (never went to Quebec (French), hear that's a little iffy...)

5) Food good at most restaurants, background music seems to all be 50's rock & roll

6) Most of Canada has successfully (so far) resisted WalMart-Itis, many many stores are still Mom & Pop shops.

7) They have no respect for Booosh

8) Western Ontario & Manitoba they actually do say 'Eh' (or 'Ay' or 'Eh') after every phrase & to finish off every sentence. Yah gotta love it !

9) Micro brews are getting more popular, so if you prefer a stout or IPA or Black & Tan type of beer you should be able to find them OK. Every place has the bland tasteless budweiser type of beer.

Canada moment: We were riding back down New Brunswick & stopped at a little tourist town near Fundy National Park. The temperature that afternoon was maybe 75, humidity about 50-60 percent. Pretty comfy weather. Went into a Hortons (Dunkin Donuts with food) to get a cuppa joe & a donut. They had the AC on full bore, must've been 65 in that joint, & the people were complaining about the heat ! Just had to chuckle...

Last edited by a moderator: