The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spit balling here - but Yamaha needs to go bigger. The K1600 is not going away and frankly Yamaha could do a better job. I am a looking for a bike that I can take from Dallas Texas, to Bar Harbor Maine, Vancouver BC, Key West Florida and San Diego CA - What I call a Four Corners Motorcycle. The 2013 FJR, as fine as it is - is not the bike - yet. Yamaha is the Toyota of Motorcycles - its time they became the Lexus of Motorcycles.

Are you serious?
X2....Yamaha makes it larger than a 1300 and I'll look elsewhere as the 1300 is enough IMHO, bigger isn't always better.

Maybe for '14 they lightened it up, never hurts to lose some weight :)

+1

SkooterG you fooker...

fuck.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
YES, lighter would be nice
bike.gif
...that's all I would need/want...
punk.gif
But what ever, I'm not ready for a new/different bike.
innocent.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

Looking forward to seeing what's in store for 2014.

Looking to upgrade my current 2008 FJR.

Heading to dealer tomorrow to test ride the BMW K1600GT and the Ducati Multistrada 1200.

Hopefully the 2014 FJR will give me another bike to consider.

Looking forward to seeing what's in store for 2014.
Looking to upgrade my current 2008 FJR.

Heading to dealer tomorrow to test ride the BMW K1600GT and the Ducati Multistrada 1200.

Hopefully the 2014 FJR will give me another bike to consider.
The Multi 1200 is a fun bike to ride, let us know how those test rides go.

Well this makes my decision more difficult. One of the main reasons I was looking at the K1600 and Multistrada was electronically adjustable suspension. Now on the 2014 FJR ES model.
clapping.gif

Well this makes my decision more difficult. One of the main reasons I was looking at the K1600 and Multistrada was electronically adjustable suspension. Now on the 2014 FJR ES model.
clapping.gif
Really? And I'm not saying that to be a smart ass. Just wondering why because while I may tweak the suspension to get it right, once it's set I just don't touch it. So I'm wondering if you find yourself adjusting the suspension often? And what kind of adjustment are we talking about? I mean, the wing has an adjustable suspension from hard to soft. Is that what we're talking about on this FJR?

clapping.gif
Really? And I'm not saying that to be a smart ass. Just wondering why because while I may tweak the suspension to get it right, once it's set I just don't touch it. So I'm wondering if you find yourself adjusting the suspension often? And what kind of adjustment are we talking about? I mean, the wing has an adjustable suspension from hard to soft. Is that what we're talking about on this FJR?
I like the ability to easily make suspension adjustments based on different road/riding conditions

... and it's high-tech and a cool feature.
smile.png

clapping.gif
Your FJR also has a hard & soft suspension setting

Don't like to change suspension adjustments-

after...

one time I set up a bike full soft for a long trip on the big road....

forgot that I did that...

got such a bad weave on the exit ramp that I took a ride in the green lane..
poster_oops.gif

At first glance back in Oct, 2012 when I first saw the Gen III, I also thought two driving modes (Touring and Sport) were more an interesting gimmick, than a day-to-day useful tool.

I was wrong.

The ability to go back and forth, depending of riding conditions/environment, is something I now consider an extremely useful, because I can have all the ponies I am supposed to in Sport mode, yet also enjoy a lot of tread-saving operation while in Touring mode. Win-Win.

Would it be the same type of scenario with the electronic suspension?
unsure.png

That, I am less sure of. As many have said, once you set sag and get the suspension where you like it, I never tend to mess with it either.

Then again.... if this electronic adjustment can be configured for a slightly stiffer, taunt suspension for the tighter twisties, and a more plush, relaxed setting for interstate-running.... that would seem to be an intriguing option to have.

All that said... I am glad I have the first year Gen III, because I am inclined to let others try out and report their findings on the ESA.
punk.gif

The ability to go back and forth, depending of riding conditions/environment, is something I now consider an extremely useful, because I can have all the ponies I am supposed to in Sport mode, yet also enjoy a lot of tread-saving operation while in Touring mode. Win-Win.
I notice that some bikes with different driving modes also have a "rain" mode. Based on your experience with the 2013, do you think a rain mode would be helpful, or is the touring mode good enough for the rain?

At first I thought I was seeing somebody's Photshop shenanigans. Then I thought I was having a stroke.

But, it would seem that Yamaha actually is producing an honest-to-goodness RED FJR? If somebody had bet me yesterday on whether there would be a red FJR....they could have made a killing off me!

I don't know exactly what to make of all of this and think I will sit quietly in a corner contemplating this for now....
confusedsmiley.png

That red is very attractive

... but not enough for me to plunk down the $$$ on a new bike, just when I've got my '11 set up exactly the way I like.

Maybe I'll repaint...