The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LIKEY BOTH!Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

And that SWEET looking deep/rich red look awfully familiar (at least to me)...

2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg
Please don't fuck up this FJR thread with pictures of Bring More Wallet because they Build Machines Weird.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread...

Go to your BMWMOA site for that...

:D

Some folks like RED and some folks like BLACK. But coming from the '03 original, I love BLACK WHEELS!!!
punk.gif
I like the black wheels too, but why are they not the "gloss" black like the '03's, easier for cleaning and touch-up if necessary.

Anyways, like the red and good thing I held out from buying a '13. Was wondering why the sales guy was trying hard to sell me his '13-did he know?

I would have to say that I think that just maybe Yamaha is starting to "get it". Not only did they pick a much sexier color for the bike for the coming year year, but they are offering it in two versions, A and ES.

At first look I thought that the ES was the new acronym for AE, but no... it doesn't include the automagic clutch, just the adjustable suspension.

Is it worth $1000 for adjustable suspension? If you ride half of the time solo and half of the time 2-up and loaded for touring, then hell yes it'd be worth it... assuming it actually works as advertised.

My wife actually just came in with her iPad and showed me the Yamaha web site with no prompting on my part. She said, "wow, that's really something" (as if I should think about upgrading)

I know that I've said before I don't really care that much about colors, but in my not at all humble opinion, this red is the best color since Bass Bote Blue. But that is nothing compared to the new suspension.

I've never before in my life bought a brand new bike. Maybe it is time for a new experience?

New:In order to make this electronically adjustable suspension function possible, upside-down front forks with independent right and left damper mechanisms is adopted. In this independent right and left damper design, the compression stroke damping force is generated in the left fork and the rebound stroke damping force is generated in the right fork, just like the suspension proven on the YZF-R1®.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW It's great to be Canadian! Was thinking it might be time to upgrade the 08. Now Yamaha gives me black wheels and black tank trim to go with all the new tech stuff ~ Better rethink my attitude towards overtime. The red would have been passed over for sure.

I LIKEY BOTH!Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

And that SWEET looking deep/rich red look awfully familiar (at least to me)...

2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg
Please don't fuck up this FJR thread with pictures of Bring More Wallet because they Build Machines Weird.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread...

Go to your BMWMOA site for that...

biggrin.png
Reality in this Forum.. oops. Sorry I forgot!, I will mask it...

-revised-

Woah!, that new Vermillion Red FJR is original and bad ass!

In reality; I do like it a lot. Glad Yami is going in this direction. Now I'm off to my BMW Forum to tell em how Yamaha copied there '12 Vermillion Red... lol (No Don, I'm just joking!)

Don't want no Hondapotumus, don't want no 1600cc beemer that cost 30K, don't need six speeds, The FJR just like it is is fine with me. I can't use the 147 horse power it has now, and none of you can either. well, maybe a couple of you can, but that about it. The 14 is coming in Red, or should I say, metalic black cherry! it is the fastest color they make you know. Happy with my 07FJR after 7 riding seaons? yes very happy.

Sorry Canucks. Black is not a color, it is technically the total absence of any color.

Goths (and undertakers) wear black for a reason:

Goths Dress the way they do to protest a miserable and dying postmodern society full of evils people would rather ignore and then use pathetic devices such as religion to direct blame off of the people who deserve blame. The clothes also represent breaking free from repression of physical appearances or to protest traditional ideas of beauty such as how advertising represses people by making them feel guilty for being overweight, ugly, too skinny, socially awkward, shy, and sexually depraved.
Gothic clothing is meant to be a deep and meaningful outward expression of what goths feel and think inwardly about the world around them.

Also, if you wear all black you'll find that it gives you a feeling of protection, it feels like it keeps you safe and shields you almost. This is another likely reason why Goths wear black.Goths Dress the way they do to protest a miserable and dying postmodern society full of evils people would rather ignore and then use pathetic devices such as religion to direct blame off of the people who deserve blame. The clothes also represent breaking free from repression of physical appearances or to protest traditional ideas of beauty such as how advertising represses people by making them feel guilty for being overweight, ugly, too skinny, socially awkward, shy, and sexually depraved.

I have no trouble using all of my horsepower or (probably more accurately) engine torque right now. If there were a little bit more, it might be a little bit funner. But I can usually have a good ole time on the good ole' FJR without the use of any little blue pills. I see no real need to escalate further into the cubic centimeter pissing match.

At one time it was all about which of the big 4 asian bikes had the "fastest production bike." Curiously (or not) the euros never entered into that "arms race." Now that these top numbers are insanely stupid to the point of irresponsibility, and are being artificially limited by governmental nannies, it's the acceleration to the top speed that matters. Actually it always has, but the specs-man-ship was always about "Top Speed." Why that ever mattered was far beyond my limited understanding. I guess it was easier for incompetent riders to just twist the right grip and hang on, going to max velocity in a straight (boring) line in the desert than to do any real riding.

I'm not real keen on the color, but would have to see it in person to really know. When I saw the pic of the '13 FJR, was not thrilled either, but seeing it in person was a different experience. Is that Honda Red? hehehee
uhoh.gif

p.s. interesting..the '14 gains 7lbs and loses some ground clearance from the '13 model.

Looks like a Red Headed Mistress is in my very near future. The question is, where in the SE is the best dealership to buy...

img.jpg

My wallet is tingling, however, I have lots of questions about that suspension. Random thoughts... At least there will be damping in both forks. Will the rear have enough spring (does the '13?) or am I going to want an aftermarket shock...... The stock Gen 1/2 damping I thought was adequate but again aftermarket was better. Fork springs can be changed no biggie....... if my current aftermarket suspension is set properly for sag, etc. and works, why would I need to play with it on the fly? Softer for interstates (that I'm hardly ever on).... can't think of why I would want to soften it up. Why would I want to change damping once it's set properly? If I want to soften or harden it for some reason, it's easy enough to stop and do it......... I dunno, convince me. Otherwise, I'm assuming the non ES is same as the '13, which I would upgrade (move my Gen 2 aftermarket over), which if you're starting fresh will cost you more than the $1K difference.......

I have no inside information, but I hope that the ES suspension is more than just electronically adjustable. I hope that it is premium components that will work on par with the aftermarket stuff that many of us have put on our Gen 1 and 2 bikes. Otherwise, why bother?

A little better color selection would be nice. But what’s the point of inverted forks on a road bike? I do understand the theoretical advantages; lower unsprung weight, more rigidity, etc. But, unless your last name is Lorenzo, Marquez, Stoner, or some such I doubt very much if you could tell the difference underway. And the seals on inverted forks are much more exposed to road icky. And if a seal does develop a leak, it’s going to get real ugly real fast. Ask the guy who owns a Multistrada (moi). As to electronic suspension: ask the Multistrada owner again. After the novelty wears off, I’ll take “set it and forget it” every day.

As to a sixth gear? Why? What existing deficiency would this answer?

Great.

Just f'n great.

I'm losing my job in three weeks, and Yamaha comes out with this.

DAMNit all...

For the record - me likey lots!

I have no inside information, but I hope that the ES suspension is more than just electronically adjustable. I hope that it is premium components that will work on par with the aftermarket stuff that many of us have put on our Gen 1 and 2 bikes. Otherwise, why bother?
That's my concern as well. For an extra $1000 they should be using the good stuff but the FJR suspension history has been less than stellar. Making a so-so suspension electronically adjustable doesn't make it good.