The Great White North Liberation Army Launches Attack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the near real time updates!! (Gives us Yankees time to build our defenses). But seriously, thank you for putting this up as you travel, it does take some effort each night and I bet is even more difficult after a few Margaritas that I know you are fond of!!

John sent me that exact way 2 years ago on my way to San Francisco. It was more beatiful than I could ever imagine. I rode all the way to Idaho falls. My afternoon was spent around Thermopolis in that kind of heat with a south gale attempting to push me off the road. But I really did not care because I was in such awe of the country I never knew existed.

Keep the recon, I mean battle plan, updates coming, I know many of us enjoy them immensely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in BC and Alberta recently and it was quite hard to find a good beer.
I am surprised part of the deal did not turning 7-11's into Tim Hortons - you're slipping Bill. :)
Dealing with the Tim Horton's thing first you should know that Corporate headquarters was moved to Canada out of the States. The canadians are now going to try to straighten out the whole mess that the Yanks had made of things.

Alberta is full of cowboys and therefore don't know shit about beer. British Columbia is too busy growing killer weed and are all too high to care about beer either. If you want decent beer in Canada you have to come east.
There is absolutely no reason to drive to from Seattle to Ontario Canada for good beer when excellent beer is in abundance in Seattle. Clearly we who appreciate good beer will have to fight off the Liberators at all costs. :D

Thanks for the kind words

Day 2 Ride - Thermopolis, WY to Challis, ID

After an excellent breakfast at the Black Bear Cafe we headed immediately into The Wind River Canyon....

DSC_0001-L.jpg

DSC_0003-L.jpg

DSC_0004-L.jpg

We then started up into the mountains in the Teton National Forest stopping at the Continential Divide for photos....

DSC_0006-L.jpg

DSC_0009-L.jpg

DSC_0010-L.jpg

We stopped in Jackson Hole for luch at the local deli coming into town and then headed up over the Teton Pass. When we stopped for gas we doubled back to a lookout for some photos of the Teton Mountains....

DSC_0017-L.jpg

DSC_0012-L.jpg

We then took a little detour over to the Craters of the Moon National Park which is false advertising since the moon has no volcanos and all of this area is all about volcanic activity...

DSC_0022-L.jpg

Lots a lava flows.

DSC_0023-L.jpg

The trees have taken a bit of a beating from the acidic soil....

DSC_0028-L.jpg

Thats one big pile of ash....

DSC_0030-L.jpg

We then beelined it for Chalis for our stop for the night. Ray tried to run me out of gas but I rolled into the gas station in town after running the last 20 kilometers on reserve.

The restaurant had a steak dinner special on in honour of Fathers Day. Ray and Jeff got their steak...

IMG_3280-L.jpg

Here is where my steak was supposed to be....

IMG_3279-L.jpg

Seems the chef messed up my baked potato. I finally got my steak and as a consolation prize I got strawberry shortcake for dessert. It was supposed to be German Red Chocolate Cake. I love chocolate. I hate strawberries. Ray & Jeff were laughing at me. I will not get even with them. I will get more than even with them.

-to be continued-

Just a couple of shots of the moon rising over the mountains last night...

DSC_0042-L.jpg

DSC_0044-L.jpg

I am plotting my response to Ray's last post. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
nono.gif

Scrolling down I see this:

Just a couple of shots of the moon rising over the mountains last night...

I almost closed the page. Never know what kind of moon might show up in this report.
uhoh.gif

Seriously, thanks for taking us along.

The lack post regarding efforts on liberation vs riding make me wonder who is being liberated and how. Perhaps the Cunuckistanis have swore allegiance to the great paved roads in the USA? :D

Day 3 Ride - Challis to Grangeville

Woke up in the morning and the leg from the deer strike the week before was not hurting as bad but was still swollen up....

IMG_3283-L.jpg

As long as I can get a motorcycle boot on I'm going riding. It really was a great day today. We started with a hardy breakfast at the restaurant attached to the motel. I had a Denver omelette...

IMG_3284-L.jpg

We then took 75 out of Challis over to Stanley. We follow the river and the colours of the hills around us were awesome along with being a very fun road....

Monday%201-L.jpg

We took a quick stop in Stanley to take a few photos before heading up into the Sawtooth mountains...

Monday%202-L.jpg

Monday%203-L.jpg

I had the GoPro running as we left Stanley to head over the Sawtooth Pass. What fun we had. Ray was in full hooligan mode. You will have to wait for the video since I just don't have the time to edit right now.

we finished the ride with a run along the Salmon River before coming out of the mountains and running across the high plain into Grangeville, ID for the night...

Monday%204-L.jpg

Monday%205-L.jpg

DSC_0062-L.jpg

DSC_0063-L.jpg

DSC_0061-L.jpg

It was Mexican again tonight since we just don't have decent Mexican restaurants in the Great White North so it is a treat for us when we invade the States.

I had an excellent steak strip burrito...

IMG_3286-L.jpg

Ray got nothing which is exactly what he deserved after tipping over today when he stopped on the side of the highway and then had a brain fart and tried to get off the bike without bothering to put the side stand down. The only time I have seen Ray do this successfully is when Ray parked his bike in Intech's front yard in the mud after Bob's Tech Day. I have photos of that. How I wish the GoPro was running when it happened. I could have dined out on that for years.

Here is Ray going without...

IMG_3287-L.jpg

- to be continued -

Ray, I don't understand. Is there some extra mass on that Root Beer bike that causes it to tip over so often? Perhaps some magnetic aberration that increases gravity effects around the bike? I know you like things to look well used (think floor jack), but this seems a bit excessive...KNOCK IT OFF!! Hugs -N- Kisses!
smile.png

Then you missed Ray dropping his bike at Timmy's in Huntsville.
He had the car tire on the '07 then. He thought that since cars don't need side stands his bike didn't. I was parked right next to him. thankfully, not too close!

Bill,

That leg doesn't look too good. Well actually neither one of them looks good, but the one you banged up is looking really bad. You may want to go by a drug store and pick up some compression socks and wear one on that leg during the day, helps reduce the swelling and will reduce the chance of you throwing a giant clot to your heart or brain. Ice it or stick it in cold water in the evening and keep it elevated at night. Also, unless it is painful, lay off the NSAIDs as that just increases the swelling and fluid collecting in the area.

I'm not a doctor, but I just went through this over the past couple weeks after dropping the ManStrom on my leg. And mine didn't look nearly as bad as yours. Then again, it started out looking better too.