These Sport Bikes are Stupid Fast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold my FZ1due to a total lack of self control. That bike pulled hard. Never got beat in a stoplight GP, but I chose my contests carefully, no Busa's or R1 with skinny little shites aboard!

Builderwill - I'm wondering why you chose the ZX14 as your stablemate to the FJR. I can definitely see having a sport bike as a stablemate - especially if you live near some great twisties. But a 600cc sportbike is mucho fast and much lighter. DGMW - I read the ZX14 is a beast on the drag strip - if that's your thing. Thoughts?
The zx14 is not a stablemate to the FJR, but a replacement. I wanted something sportier and, like RFH said, something I could ride all day or across a few states. Can't do it on a 600, least not me.

The fact that it is popular with the drag racers is just a coincidence, doesn't really matter to me cause I don't think I'll ever use all the HP. In fact, I'm feel like in the minority on the zx14 boards wanting to talk about twisties or sport touring. Most zx14 owners are more interested in stretched out, bling machines running 300's in the rear and either boulevard racing or hanging out at the local McDonald's. Ruins a perfectly good bike IMHO!

No offense to the busa guys, but, while its a great bike, just never could past the look of that hump.

S1000RR = Feckin' bonkers. Nuff said.

Power corrupts. I'd rather try riding my little 2-fitty fast than something that overpowered. It's funner. That being said, I've never had more fun on a bike than ripping an R6 around a tight race track. I'm not good enough for a 200hp bike under those conditions.

DSC_1637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...I've never had more fun on a bike than ripping an R6 around a tight race track. I'm not good enough for a 200hp bike under those conditions
Ditto. I did the YCRS at Laguna Seca last year and it was crazy fun on their R6. I had my awesome crossplane crank '09 R1 "LE" at Barber in 2011 but a lack of talent caused me to highside it at about 80mph. Sometimes smaller is better.

i love my 2007 FJR, especially after i got the problems worked out that were mainly due to sitting for a lot of time between 2007 and 2013. I'm so happy i found her But I have observed that the biggest smiles that get put on my face are due to the FZ1. And the FZ is not a full out sport bike. I think I need one of those too, maybe a CBR1000RR or a Kawi or Zooki or a cross plane R1. I guess that means that although I am a sensible rider (I have an FJR that I love a lot), I'm also a stupid-fast wannabee? LOL. I don't know, honestly. I love motorcycles. Part of the allure is to be able to attain Ferrari performance at Chevy prices. Another part of the allure has nothing to do with performance. I would love to have one of the Indian Royal Enfield singles, not because they are great motorcycles, but just because. I think Urals are cool, too, even with the dinosaur technology.

Spring is sprung here in coastal NC. The grass is riz. Time will tell whether the FJR or the FZ becomes my favorite. I really think it will be a tie, and darn it I'll have to keep them both. What a wonderful problem to have.

The zx14 is not a stablemate to the FJR, but a replacement.
Does it burn up tires even faster than an FJR? (I think I already know the answer)
Dunno yet. Haven't finished a tire on it yet since I got it last fall and did some tire swapping between different bikes. I'm hoping the zx being quite a bit lighter is no worse cause that FJR can shred thru some tires!