These Sport Bikes are Stupid Fast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Unlike other bikes I've owned and ridden, I find the motor on the FJR is tuned to pull evenly throughout the rpm range. It's relatively low redline (9K) lends itself to a flatter torque curve, which I prefer to the more buzzy high revving motors. I'm most interested in the torque between 2K and 5K, that's where I live 99% of my ride. I rarely push my bike past 5K - although some times, I enjoy a little run up the gears.

Sunday, after 350 miles, MikeP1300 and I parted ways at a road split. I continued on a divided major street that runs through the heart of my home town. I live on the outskirts in a more surburban area, and on this particular day, this divided highway is my best bet. On the other side of town, traffic is non-existent on this Sunday afternoon. Everyone is back in town celbrating Mardi Gras. At one traffic light, I'm 2nd in line and notice two sport bikes turn left onto my street just before I get the green. When my light turns green, I accelerate and tuck in behind them. A quick check of my mirror reveals that a cruiser has tucked in behind me and the 4 of us roll about 1 mile in staggered formation and catch the next yellow light first in line. Sport bike #2 splits off to the center lane. The cruiser also splits of with him to the center lane. I shifted left and pulled in next to sport bike #1 and we are both in the left lane.

I waived to everyone and they reciprocated. The cruiser dude is about my age and both of the sport bike riders are younger than us. I noticed that sport bike #1 was a GSXR1000 in the traditional blue and white color. I know it's got an aftermarket exhaust, but othewise, I have no clue about this bike. For all I know, it might have $$$$$ in motor farkles, or otherwise be completely stock. It's rider looked at me and a short conversation started:

(S/B) "I like your bike"

(Pants) "I like yours too, but I couldn't ride it all day leaned over like that.

(S/B) "Yeah after a while I feel it in my back."

(Pants) "Boy - I bet that puppy goes when you twist it, though."

(S/B) "Sure does"

Meanwhile, I hear sport bike #2 and the cruiser chatting as well.

Now to be clear, there was no undertones of "let's race" said or felt. Further, these guys didn't strike me as squids. They are dressed in full gear and their demeaner presents them as experienced riders. But we have about 1.5 miles of brand new 65 mph pavement ahead of us with NO side entrance/exits and ZERO traffic. Four bikes first in line at this intersection are not going to waste an opportunity like this. I don't care who you are or what you ride - at this particular intersection, under these circumstances, if you don't dump the clutch and let 'er rip a little, well... you've just picked the wrong hobby.

The light turned and I got a pretty decent launch. I shifted 1-2 at about 6K - no point in breaking a shift fork today. Then I ran her up to the redline for the 2-3 and about 8K in 3 before I shut 'er down - I guess I was somewhere around 85-90 mph and that's plenty enough for me. I'll sleep in my own bed tonight, thank you very much

On the other hand, Mr. Gixxer caught me by the time I shifted 1-2, and then it was so over. He pulled away from me effortlessly, like I was sitting still really. That bike is stupid fast, I tell ya. He shut it down after me - definitely going over 100.

I have no idea what the other 2 did or did not do. I heard the cruiser's exhaust at the light, then nothing.

We all coasted to the next light, which turned green as we pulled to the intersection. I switched lanes and beeped the horn at them before turning right toward home. Traffic now building, I returned to my usual more careful riding style with a lingering tingle in my hands from the recent excitement.

I know I know - bad Pants. You should know better. You'll poke your eye out....

But every once in a while, a man's got to live a little closer to the edge. Just a little.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Been there - done that... more than once.

You are correct Mr Pants, if you don't turn the ponies loose once in a while, you're doing it wrong.

What good is a motorcycle if you can't enjoy it? You seem to enjoy your motorcycle as much as anyone I know. As long as you are not endangering yourself or anyone else, you are not "bad Pants".

As for the Big Gixxer, bone stock it should be running around the 10 second mark, give or take a couple tenths. Of course, that depends on the rider.

I am certain that no one involved in that impromptu "drag race" minded a bit. Except maybe the cruiser guy.

Edit: I hope you soothed MikeP's hurt feelings. Since YOU left him out of our Demo Ride the weekend before. If you really want him to feel better, tell him I was working nights. Again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Feejeer pulls real nice but those sport bikes weigh 200+Lbs less so even if the hp was the same they scoot real quick. I had an 08 FZ1 that was tuned real nice with 145 hp at the rear wheel. That bike would suck your eyeballs back....

Your comparison with the revs/torque is spot on. Even compared with with my zx14, the FJR pulls from a dead stop a little harder. But once your up to 3.5K or so its all over with. What's a blast is at 7k when the real power kicks in and the bike wheelies hard. I've yet to be able to stay in throttle thru first gear.

I had to shift to second a little early one time pulling away from a straight pipe harley at a light, because I was 2-up and the front wheel came up. Kinda freaked the wife out. I was grinning ear-to-ear!
punk.gif

I had to shift to second a little early one time pulling away from a straight pipe harley at a light, because I was 2-up and the front wheel came up. Kinda freaked the wife out. I was grinning ear-to-ear!
punk.gif
Had that once and I look in the mirror to see the wife was giving the HD rider a single finger salute.
smile.png

Stupid fast is too much for me. I've destroyed too many important brain cells over the years I reckon.

The last true sportbike I owned was a 93 CBR900RR. That was the quickest bike I've ever ridden.

The problem I had, was the bike would get to where we were going a second or 2 before my brain did.

Luckily my back couldn't tolerate the tuck position and I sold it...

Yup, when I switch between the FJR and the Busa there is no comparison. The FJR is not slow by any means, but the gsx1300r makes it feel like it's standing still.

Probably lost a little compression from when this run, but it's still sick fast. 180hp/106tq at the wheel, with PC, 4 into 1 and high flow filter.

dyno.jpg

It's been so long since I've ridden a bike... may have to reacquaint myself with Mr. Throttle when the snow melts away and the green grass starts appearing again.

November, December, January, February, March...

Yup there's fast and then there's stupid fast.They key is understanding the difference and one's ability (or will power) to operate the bike "responsibly". I had a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird before the FJR but for only about a year before I realized I would probably never be mature enough to prevent some kind of bad ending if I had kept it. I'm pretty responsible and generally careful about things but did some pretty squidly things with that bike...repeatedly. So I sold it...for the greater good... and I still miss it.
upset.gif

It's been so long since I've ridden a bike... may have to reacquaint myself with Mr. Throttle when the snow melts away and the green grass starts appearing again.November, December, January, February, March...
Oh you poor bastage, i'm gona rub it in and tell you I did over 3K miles in that time....
tonguesmiley.gif
Most of those miles was on my sportier bike..

It's been so long since I've ridden a bike... may have to reacquaint myself with Mr. Throttle when the snow melts away and the green grass starts appearing again.November, December, January, February, March...
Oh you poor bastage, i'm gona rub it in and tell you I did over 3K miles in that time....
tonguesmiley.gif
Good for you. No reason for you to suffer. I'll do it for the both of us.

I plan on riding much more next winter as well.
wink.png

...stupid fast....

tonguesmiley.gif
Good for you. No reason for you to suffer. I'll do it for the both of us.

I plan on riding much more next winter as well.
wink.png

...stupid fast....
Well, even if you went slow it would be "stupid" slow too right?
bye.gif

Silverhound - I'm smelling what you are cooking.... I can't own a faster bike than the FJR. I just.... can't. Those two imaginary bastards on each of my shoulders are going to make sure of it. The red guy will get his way and it's gonna end up bad.

Builderwill - I'm wondering why you chose the ZX14 as your stablemate to the FJR. I can definitely see having a sport bike as a stablemate - especially if you live near some great twisties. But a 600cc sportbike is mucho fast and much lighter. DGMW - I read the ZX14 is a beast on the drag strip - if that's your thing. Thoughts?

Justin - I've never ridden a 'Busa but I'd like to do it once before I die (hopefully not JUST before I die).

R/H - worry not about Mike. He's just pulling our chain cause, well.... he can. Pretty good ride on Sunday - we wandered north to the Jena area and found a few twisties. Hwy 126 just northeast of Jena is now my favorite Louisiana road - I could literally run that one back and forth all day.

The difference between my FJR and my FZ1 is just amazing. They have different purposes, obviously. Getting off the FZ and onto the FJR is like stepping into the quiet lap of luxury, with still surprisingly nimble handling and plenty of motor. Getting off the FJR and onto the FZ is like being 20 years younger. A man needs at least 2 motorcycles, maybe more.

I can't own a faster bike than the FJR. I just.... can't. Those two imaginary bastards on each of my shoulders are going to make sure of it. The red guy will get his way and it's gonna end up bad.
Builderwill - I'm wondering why you chose the ZX14 as your stablemate to the FJR. I can definitely see having a sport bike as a stablemate - especially if you live near some great twisties. But a 600cc sportbike is mucho fast and much lighter. DGMW - I read the ZX14 is a beast on the drag strip - if that's your thing. Thoughts?

Justin - I've never ridden a 'Busa but I'd like to do it once before I die (hopefully not JUST before I die).

R/H - worry not about Mike. He's just pulling our chain cause, well.... he can. Pretty good ride on Sunday - we wandered north to the Jena area and found a few twisties. Hwy 126 just northeast of Jena is now my favorite Louisiana road - I could literally run that one back and forth all day.
'Pants, here are my thoughts.

1) That "bastard" on your shoulder is exactly my biggest issue with the FJR. Of everything I have ridden that is the one bike that seems to take control of my mind and is always urging me to go faster, lean further. And you should remember, I have ridden bikes faster than the FJR. I followed you on two of them just a week and a half ago.
rolleyes.gif

2) The ZX14 is not only straight line faster than the 'Busa, it is supposed to handle better as well. The magazine reviews all agreed that it was the better overall bike. While a 600 SportBike is a bunch lighter, for the all day rides you take around your area, the Big Kawi is going to be a lot more comfortable. It will still handle and stop pretty well.

3) I will look up Hwy 126. Pop is getting the FJR out of the shop tomorrow. Unless the weather interferes, he and I are going to play either Friday or Saturday. I am thinking a retrace of our route from last week.