Thursdays the day !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Great! Now I'm breaking out the popcorn and let the questions begin! :rolleyes:

We will of coarse allow you the time to ride the Crap out of it and get all the bugs scraped from your teeth!! :D
Pics later to many bugs on her right now.

Here come the questions.

1. What if anything does F J R stand for ?

2. How do I minimize wind noise ? my ears are still ringing after my 120 mile ride home.

3. Is 20-40 yamalube OK for Alabama weather conditions ?

I have more but that should get the flame throwers warmed up :)

1) What ever you want. Get creative. Start your own cult.

2) Besides a variety of aftermarket windscreens (which come in an interesting range of sizes and shapes), and helmets (which can vary a LOT in their noise levels) there are earplugs -- which won't eliminate all of the noise, but they'll reduce it and protect your hearing. Start with ear plugs.

3) Uh, oh. An oil question. I'll point you to your owner's manual as I duck for cover.

Looking forward to photos & ride reports!

1) What ever you want. Get creative. Start your own cult.

2) Besides a variety of aftermarket windscreens (which come in an interesting range of sizes and shapes), and helmets (which can vary a LOT in their noise levels) there are earplugs -- which won't eliminate all of the noise, but they'll reduce it and protect your hearing. Start with ear plugs.

3) Uh, oh. An oil question. I'll point you to your owner's manual as I duck for cover.

Looking forward to photos & ride reports!
I think I will be fine with 20-40 per the heat chart in the manual.

I do need a new helmet the one I had on yesterday is 10 yrs old.

F ast

J apanese

R ocket .............

Here come the questions.

According to Google:

Fast Joy Ride

Fast Jap Rocket

F = Four cylinder

J = Motorcycle type

R = Sport version (higher insurance)

But then my '82 Seca 650 was an XJ650 - a ten cylinder! - who knows?

Enjoy it.

Al

Ok Great! Now I'm breaking out the popcorn and let the questions begin! :rolleyes:

We will of coarse allow you the time to ride the Crap out of it and get all the bugs scraped from your teeth!! :D
Pics later to many bugs on her right now.

Here come the questions.

2. How do I minimize wind noise ? my ears are still ringing after my 120 mile ride home.

3. Is 20-40 yamalube OK for Alabama weather conditions ?

I have more but that should get the flame throwers warmed up :)
Yawn!!!!! :not_i: :nono: :no2: :no: :lazy: Go to the NERPT Section for all the stuff. Let me know when the fun begins. :guitar:

Ear plugs, ear plugs, and....oh, ear plugs.

If you aren't using them, give them a try. It's amazing how they change the riding experience. Eliminating the wind noise will also help with fatigue. It's crazy how much of a difference it makes in this area. The key is to find some good ones that fit you and apparently learn how to put them in. Some folks have odd ear cavities and have problems inserting them. Never been a problem for me though and I like these -> https://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite

Ear plugs, ear plugs, and....oh, ear plugs.

If you aren't using them, give them a try. It's amazing how they change the riding experience. Eliminating the wind noise will also help with fatigue. It's crazy how much of a difference it makes in this area. The key is to find some good ones that fit you and apparently learn how to put them in. Some folks have odd ear cavities and have problems inserting them. Never been a problem for me though and I like these -> https://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite
Stopped at walmart on the way home with the bike yesterday and bought some ear plugs and they made it worst.

So today before I went out I found some that I brought home from work and they are exactly the ones you recommended

and they work very well.

I also bought HJC IS33 helmet today and I like it pretty good so far.

Wind noise: as you found out, the factory windshield doesn't do much to eliminate wind noise or buffeting at higher speeds. That's why so many of them are the shelf. I've got a Cee Bailey+4 length +2 width with a reverse flip at the top. It's similar to this one: CLICKY Works really well.

For "ear plugs" I wear my Klipsch S4i earbuds CLICKY hooked up to my iPod touch. Kills wind noise and lets me listen to my favorite tunes while I ride.

The oil, of course, is fine. Most of us don't use it because of the cost, but it's certainly good stuff.

FJR: this started out as the "R" version of the old Yamaha FJ series (which the FJR replaced). So there ya go.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Wind noise: as you found out, the factory windshield doesn't do much to eliminate wind noise or buffeting at higher speeds. That's why so many of them are the shelf. I've got a Cee Bailey+4 length +2 width with a reverse flip at the top. It's similar to this one: CLICKY Works really well.

For "ear plugs" I wear my Klipsch S4i earbuds CLICKY hooked up to my iPod touch. Kills wind noise and lets me listen to my favorite tunes while I ride.

The oil, of course, is fine. Most of us don't use it because of the cost, but it's certainly good stuff.

FJR: this started out as the "R" version of the old Yamaha FJ series (which the FJR replaced). So there ya go.

Gary

darksider #44
Thank You..............

Stopped at walmart on the way home with the bike yesterday and bought some ear plugs and they made it worst.

So today before I went out I found some that I brought home from work and they are exactly the ones you recommended

and they work very well.

I also bought HJC IS33 helmet today and I like it pretty good so far.
Those are good ones. I order up a box online every now and then. I don't even feel them when they are in and they block a lot of sound.

If you go out and google up a bunch of ear plugs, you'll find that many manufacturers will send you free samples. Then you can try a bunch of them out and see what you like.