Time to come clean

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to hear about the too soon demise and glad to see you recovering to ride again. I think I remember seeing you on your ST1300 on the Lewis and Clark Big Sky Rally at some middle of nowhere gas station. You rode with me out of town for a while but I was riding slow so you disappeared into the sunset towards Great Falls. Was on my blue Super Tenere at the time.
Heal well and soon!
Yep that was me, I remember the gas station well, they are few and far between in that part of Montana.

Dislike and like all at the same time. Bike or no bike, hope to see you at the tech meet.
If you don't mind me turning up on an ST :). I plan to start riding my old bike this weekend.
Hell yeah come to the tech meet
If I can make it I'll probably have to drive. I sat on my St today and tried a simulated ride, exercising my left hand on the clutch. It's OK for the first 10 to 15 cycles and then the pain starts. It was also hard to hold the clutch in for any length of time.

I think I still need a few more weeks of PT and exercises.
any way that you can make it is fine.

Glad you are having a good recovery.

Just curious question. Started with ES, why switch to the A this time around?

Again, speedy recovery.

That sucks, but it is great you're making the most of a bad situation.
What kind of gear were you wearing?
Always wear ATGATT, Klim pants, Olympia Jacket and gloves, Sidi boots, Shark Evoline helmet. Hardly a mark on any of my gear. Helmet scraped the pavement and has been replaced. Boots have a heavy scuff mark from the shifter.

Glad you are having a good recovery.
Just curious question. Started with ES, why switch to the A this time around?

Again, speedy recovery.
I'm not a technical rider. I don't ride anywhere near the edge of the envelope through the curves etc. I played with the various settings on the ES for a bit when I first got the bike. But to be honest I found it to be a bit of a novelty, and after a while I stopped messing with it and left it in the standard setting. Bearing in mind that the cost of the 2016ES has risen $1100 compared to $500 for the A model, and the difference in price between the ES and A went from $1000 to $1600. I felt that the ES system did not warrant paying the extra. I know there are now other differences between the two models but I'm happy with getting the A model this time around.

I had a very interesting experience with my local dealer yesterday.

So I have a deal in the works with Procaliber Motorsports in Vancouver WA. I'm very satisfied with the numbers, My only concern is getting down there from Everett with all my riding gear. Last year I went down by train but it was a real hassle taking all the gear on the train and the 200 mile trip took all day. This time around I decided to hire a car to make the journey. Of course all the car rental places charge a premium for one way drop off of the car. So it was going to cost me $120 for the car. Because of my weak wrist I figured I would take a nice leisurely ride back and split the trip with an overnight stop. So I was prepared for the expense of something like $250 to go down and collect the new bike.

So yesterday I dropped in Lynnwood Motoplex my local Yamaha dealer. They had a nice new shiny blue ES sitting in the showroom. I casually asked the roaming sales guy what was the best price they could do for an A model. He went away into the sales office and came back a few minutes later quoting the MSRP $16,390. I said that's a shame I have a much better offer than that from another dealer. He disappeared and came back with the sales manager. The manger was very interested to know what my numbers were. After a little bit of banter back and forth he said he could match the offer. I eventually told him the base price from Procaliber. He was a little bit surprised but went away to check his invoice to see what he had paid for the bike. He came back and confirmed that he will match the Procaliber deal. The only difference will be a slightly higher sales tax percentage.

What I found interesting was the complete change around of attitude from the staff in the store. Once they realized I knew what I was looking at and had some magic numbers up my sleeve, they completely changed there approach to me as a customer. The BS was gone and we got straight down to the bottom line.

So now I have a decision. I feel somewhat bound to stay loyal to Procaliber because they gave me a great deal last year on my 2015ES and have done the same with a new 2016A. But obviously it will be so much easier to deal with a local dealer rather than having to travel 200 miles to collect the bike. I have put down a $500 deposit with Procaliber but it is not binding and they will refund it. I half expect that if I call Procaliber next week, they will try and entice me with a lower offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with NightShine. Just because Procaliber previously made money off you on a sale, does not mean you owe them another. This is business. Go for the best deal, play the dealers against each other. You're sitting in a good and fairly rare spot. Take advantage of it!

That sucks! but glad you're alright. After 10 years of Seattle traffic, I decided enough was enough and moved back to the Midwest. Seattle Traffic is terrible. I like Motoplex, I bought two bikes from them, both times they worked out a deal for me. I have also bought dome Skagit Valley Polaris and Hinshaws. Hinshaws is one of the worst sales experience I have ever had, only second to Pierre Ford

I had a very interesting experience with my local dealer yesterday.
So I have a deal in the works with Procaliber Motorsports in Vancouver WA. I'm very satisfied with the numbers, My only concern is getting down there from Everett with all my riding gear. Last year I went down by train but it was a real hassle taking all the gear on the train and the 200 mile trip took all day. This time around I decided to hire a car to make the journey. Of course all the car rental places charge a premium for one way drop off of the car. So it was going to cost me $120 for the car. Because of my weak wrist I figured I would take a nice leisurely ride back and split the trip with an overnight stop. So I was prepared for the expense of something like $250 to go down and collect the new bike.

So yesterday I dropped in Lynnwood Motoplex my local Yamaha dealer. They had a nice new shiny blue ES sitting in the showroom. I casually asked the roaming sales guy what was the best price they could do for an A model. He went away into the sales office and came back a few minutes later quoting the MSRP $16,390. I said that's a shame I have a much better offer than that from another dealer. He disappeared and came back with the sales manager. The manger was very interested to know what my numbers were. After a little bit of banter back and forth he said he could match the offer. I eventually told him the base price from Procaliber. He was a little bit surprised but went away to check his invoice to see what he had paid for the bike. He came back and confirmed that he will match the Procaliber deal. The only difference will be a slightly higher sales tax percentage.

What I found interesting was the complete change around of attitude from the staff in the store. Once they realized I knew what I was looking at and had some magic numbers up my sleeve, they completely changed there approach to me as a customer. The BS was gone and we got straight down to the bottom line.

So now I have a decision. I feel somewhat bound to stay loyal to Procaliber because they gave me a great deal last year on my 2015ES and have done the same with a new 2016A. But obviously it will be so much easier to deal with a local dealer rather than having to travel 200 miles to collect the bike. I have put down a $500 deposit with Procaliber but it is not binding and they will refund it. I half expect that if I call Procaliber next week, they will try and entice me with a lower offer.
When I bought my 14, I spoke to D&H in Cullman, AL and got a price from them. I then went to my local dealer in Pelham, AL and told them I was buying a bike that day and that Cullman was only an hour away. They matched the price from D&H and I did the deal. Where they did try to gouge me was on the YES warranty. They added it to the sale without my permission and when I brought it up they said "Standard Procedure". I laughed at them, and their price ($800+), and told them i could get it from D&H for $389 and they laughed at me. I told them to take it off and then they asked if they were to match it would I buy from them. Sure. I don't trust most dealers. I realize it's a business but some of us know what's going on and we can see that they are jacking prices way up.

First off, glad to hear you're (relatively) OK while the bike's smashed up pretty badly. Would be great if you could snag a symbolic BMR bonus before it ends in two weeks.

Second, I can personally swear to the wondrous effects of physical therapy -- on two separate occasions. Do not discount what those sadistic therapists can do to restore full strength and range of motion. "If it doesn't hurt, I'm not doing my job!", anonymous sweetheart sadist, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston.

Third, explain it to your original dealer; I bet they're OK with it. From what I hear, the 2016s are flying out door as fast as they get into the showroom. That means it won't be long in his inventory, and maybe he gets a better price this time!

Last, another expression of gratitude that you weren't hurt any worse.

Uncle Hud, BMR 428

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, glad to hear you're (relatively) OK while the bike's smashed up pretty badly. Would be great if you could snag a symbolic BMR bonus before it ends in two weeks.
Second, I can personally swear to the wondrous effects of physical therapy -- on two separate occasions. Do not discount what those sadistic therapists can do to restore full strength and range of motion. "If it doesn't hurt, I'm not doing my job!", sweetheart sadist, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston.

Third, explain it to your original dealer; I bet they're OK with it. From what I hear, the 2016s are flying out door as fast as they get into the showroom. That means it won't be long in his inventory, and maybe he gets a better price this time!

Last, another expression of gratitude that you weren't hurt any worse.

Uncle Hud, BMR 428
Thanks Uncle Hud,

I have my old ST on standby, and hope to get out for a WD bonus or two before the show is over.

Dislike and like all at the same time. Bike or no bike, hope to see you at the tech meet.
If you don't mind me turning up on an ST :). I plan to start riding my old bike this weekend.
Hell yeah come to the tech meet
If I can make it I'll probably have to drive. I sat on my St today and tried a simulated ride, exercising my left hand on the clutch. It's OK for the first 10 to 15 cycles and then the pain starts. It was also hard to hold the clutch in for any length of time.

I think I still need a few more weeks of PT and exercises.
I can't believe that noone took the open invitation to try and sell you on an AE model.....

Brodie - where are you? Maybe you can pitch a car tire too....
smile.png