Top box, I hate/love mine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a passenger it definitely seems to catch the wind and feels like it moves you around at highway speeds. I've found that using my Motofizz tail bag on the pillion seat negates the wind affect. Just pack some stuff on the pillion seat and that should help with the handling quirks.You can always take the top box off and leave it in your room once you arrive.
I ride 99+% of the time solo and did not want to mount a hard case in the "traditional" location so I designed and built my own deck that hovers over the passenger seat for a Givi Monokey (in this case the Trekker series):

I have the 33 and 46 liter sizes.

Dan

Passenger = trunk = always
No passenger ≠ trunk

The Givi V47N for my '15ES is a lot less ugly than some trunks. I only have the trunk on for special needs if I don't have a passenger.

My FJR when it was bare-ass naked new.

i-Z6Fx2zD-XL.jpg
That's a good looking setup right there, folks!

I do not mind how the top case looks & I always use it. Riding 1 up I can easily fill it. Mostly with my cooler. Yes, I said COOLER! I have an 8 canned beer Coleman that fits in there nicely in my GIVI E52 Maxia. It will also hold a 6 pack of bottles... but I don't drink until I'm done riding for the day... but It's nice to have whatever is supposed to be cold, be cold when I stop if a store isn't in the immediate vicinity.

Without a passenger it definitely seems to catch the wind and feels like it moves you around at highway speeds. I've found that using my Motofizz tail bag on the pillion seat negates the wind affect. Just pack some stuff on the pillion seat and that should help with the handling quirks.You can always take the top box off and leave it in your room once you arrive.
I ride 99+% of the time solo and did not want to mount a hard case in the "traditional" location so I designed and built my own deck that hovers over the passenger seat for a Givi Monokey (in this case the Trekker series):

Dan
to each his own!

Dan
Dan, that is awesome! Puts the weight lower and more central and eliminates the aerodynamic issues all at the same time. Nice job painting the Givi Trekker too. (now all you need is a decent seat)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cav, after all the fun you made of me riding without the side cases or top box. Have you finally seen the light!? Lol

Wondering if you could use heavy duty drawer slides to allow the case mounting bracket to slide forward when riding solo..

mda.gif

petey's old Pelican case is now riding (slowly) on the back of mine. Pelican cases aren't supposed to be pretty, so I don't worry about it. Supposed to be waterproof, convenient, and sturdy, which it is.

Also serves well as a tabletop, especially when on the center stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, that is awesome! Puts the weight lower and more central and eliminates the aerodynamic issues all at the same time. Nice job painting the Givi Trekker too. (now all you need is a decent seat)
You are correct, there is zero effect on the ride stability with this setup. I had the aluminum panels powder coated in a color (called "Lollypop") that almost perfectly matches the Candy Red of the 2014. Another advantage is that I am basically weight unlimited with this structure, it is supported at the same point on the subframe as a passenger, I could fill that box with V-8 crankshafts if I wanted to.

BTW, that is an old picture, I just got a Seth Laam seat on June 10th and it is absolutely magnificent, never would have thought that riding would be so comfortable.

It's all good!

Dan

I have an 8 canned beer Coleman that fits in there nicely in my GIVI E52 Maxia. It will also hold a 6 pack of bottles ... but It's nice to have whatever is supposed to be cold, be cold when I stop if a store isn't in the immediate vicinity.
now there really is a reason to have a top case!

I originally rode without a top case and commuted with my laptop in the side case. It didn't take look to ding the hard drive riding that way, so I got a V46 and almost never take it off. I keep it about half full of stuff that I like to have with me even if I'm only out for a few hours.

I use the Yamaha top case only for long trips on business or pleasure. All the inspection equipment I need is small enough to fit in the bags. When I have a lady friend with me it's a must. Women need space for their "Stuff" and something that they can lean on. On a long solo ride it come in handy as hell for snacks and a cooler to have my own refreshments. The OEM top case is gorgeous on this bike.

[img=[URL="https://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/keithwall/FJR/Luggage_Horseshoe_1.jpg%5D"]https://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/keithwall/FJR/Luggage_Horseshoe_1.jpg][/URL]
I like both of those set up. Maybe the scenery makes it look even better.

from majicmaker" post="1319815"
I use the Yamaha top case only for long trips on business or pleasure. All the inspection equipment I need is small enough to fit in the bags. When I have a lady friend with me it's a must. Women need space for their "Stuff" and something that they can lean on. On a long solo ride it come in handy as hell for snacks and a cooler to have my own refreshments. The OEM top case is gorgeous on this bike.
unsure.png

from luvtoride post="1319681"
"to each his own!"
ok.gif

Well, I'll add - the coocase I have also has admore light kit which not only has running lights and brake, but also amber turn signals, so from a safety standpoint, it's good to have the additional lighting up high.

I enjoy having a top case on my bike. Came over from riding a cruiser and use a soft tail bag for a while. It has a rain cover but is not waterproof as I found out on a trip to Pike's Peak. I got he Kappa N49 and the Givi sr346 for it. It great to load it up for riding to work and back.

Found another plus of the hard case. My new girlfriend has never rode before but expressed a desire to ride with me. So I am teaching her to ride pillion. She loves having the case as a backrest. I must say she seems like a natural back there. Does not lean against me, follows my position and even learned quickly about helmet bumping (once!). Admits she is scared the bike will fall over in the curves, lol.

I first started with the soft bags. The cost was significantly cheaper and it would hold plenty. However, even with rain covers they weren't weather-proof enough for me. There were times when I was worried that the fabric straps wouldn't be enough to hold it.

For me, the biggest benefit of having the top box (factory) is security. It's easy-on/easy-off so I generally only have it for road-trips.

Latest posts