Top box, I hate/love mine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from majicmaker" post="1319815"

I use the Yamaha top case only for long trips on business or pleasure. All the inspection equipment I need is small enough to fit in the bags. When I have a lady friend with me it's a must. Women need space for their "Stuff" and something that they can lean on. On a long solo ride it come in handy as hell for snacks and a cooler to have my own refreshments. The OEM top case is gorgeous on this bike.
:unsure:
I like it. The lines on the trunk follow the lines of the bike. It's pretty! :grin:

I never had or ridden with a top case until recently mounted a Givi V47 Tech w/the SR357, as many others have done.

Just took my first overnight trip up across and to the western U.P. with it, alternating from 60 to 91 degrees by the hour depending on how close to Lake Michigan the road ran. I couldn't believe how handy it was at every stop. Made glove, liners, shirt swaps easy as heck. I think I was making smarter apparel decisions just because it was so easy.

I was riding solo on my Gen III and never felt any wind/handling issues at all.

The other pleasant surprise is that to my eyes the SR 357 really doesn't look all that bad when I pull off the top case. I was going to pull off the SR357 between long trips but not now!

[img=[URL="https://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/keithwall/FJR/Luggage_Horseshoe_1.jpg%5D"]https://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv69/keithwall/FJR/Luggage_Horseshoe_1.jpg][/URL]
I like both of those set up. Maybe the scenery makes it look even better.
here's another for those days when you hate your top box

2016%20Spring%20Fling%20003.jpg

Got a cheap jc witney top box for my 01 when the wife and I took our first long weekend trip. When we got the 14 one of the first things I did was order the Shad 50L top box. It stays on all the time. It gets used almost every ride for something. When we go on overnight trips all the clothes and stuff go in the side bags, and the top is used for all the during the day stuff.

Keith.......get RID of the yellow "stitch", just sayin'...........hideous.

I noticed you didnt wear that with me :)

Sweet luggage set up!

(minor thread jack - sorry Josh)

I love the idea of Hi-vis gear. But for the life of me, I can't keep it clean. It doesn't wash well at all. Seen this with 2 jackets now.

BigDogRaven posted:

I noticed you didnt wear that with me
smile.png
Whoa, Nellie! I also own a Big Banana 'Stich, and I love it! Down here in the Southland, it's called stylin', brother. Same color as a smiley face, and it looks great with white moto-boots.

hppants: Washed it with ... whatever REI sells for washing Gore-Tex .... and it came out as blindingly hi-vis as the first day I wore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Givi V47 on the Gray Ghost. I swap it back and forth too the Wee-Strom as it holds my maps, tools, extra gloves, rain suit, and sometimes a Mesh Jacket. I have the Admore lighting kit, enhanced with an additional set of LEDs in the Lid. The Admore connects to both the FJR and the Wee.

BigDogRaven posted:

I noticed you didnt wear that with me
smile.png
Whoa, Nellie! I also own a Big Banana 'Stich, and I love it! Down here in the Southland, it's called stylin', brother. Same color as a smiley face, and it looks great with white moto-boots.

hppants: Washed it with ... whatever REI sells for washing Gore-Tex .... and it came out as blindingly hi-vis as the first day I wore it.
Well, here is sunny CA, we like to look........good :) Keith, burn that thing.

My new/used 16' A bike has the Givi SR357 mount on it but no box. Guess I'll be buying a Givi box. Thinking of the V47, looks to be the perfect size. Anyone have a Givi on their 16 model with the blue lid? Does it match bike paint?

There are no colored lids for the V47, as far as I know. The V46 does have some colored lids available, and I have seen the ones that match the 2006 blue, so that same one should work for the 2012 and 2016

FFF - I didn't realize the colored lids were available for the V47. Although it's only 1 liter larger, the 47 seems to be dimensioned to hold much more than the V46. However, I think the V46 is a smidge more streamlined and looks just a little better on the FJR. Just my $0.02 worth.

I think the V46 is a smidge more streamlined and looks just a little better on the FJR. Just my $0.02 worth.
See, I was thinking the opposite in that the 47 looked better on the FJR because it has some lines to it like the side cases. The 46 is more rounded off. That's why they make both the 46 and 47. We all like different things. It's all good!

FFF - I didn't realize the colored lids were available for the V47. Although it's only 1 liter larger, the 47 seems to be dimensioned to hold much more than the V46. However, I think the V46 is a smidge more streamlined and looks just a little better on the FJR. Just my $0.02 worth.
hppants, I am going to disagree a little bit about the "dimensions" and the looks. Pop has the V46 and I have the V47 and we have been unable to see any useful, useable, or even noticeable difference in capacity. I prefer the V46 on the Gen2 and the V47 on the Gen3. Even though the side cases are the same, the fairings are not. The V47 goes better with the more angular, sharper creases of the Gen3 fairing. In My Opinion. Which only counts where my checkbook is concerned.

I think the V46 is a smidge more streamlined and looks just a little better on the FJR. Just my $0.02 worth.
See, I was thinking the opposite in that the 47 looked better on the FJR because it has some lines to it like the side cases. The 46 is more rounded off. That's why they make both the 46 and 47. We all like different things. It's all good!
I am in agreement with you on this one but as I stated above, I think it matters which Gen FJR you have.

Just a matter of opinion:

IDK.........Kinda looks like a spaceship landed on the back of your bike!
It looks even worse with me on it!

Without me:

With me:

I will say that I notice a slight, very slight wind deflection with the V47 at speed and Pop says he does not feel his V46. Of course if he would ever take it off the bike...

Latest posts