Traded my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhkfjr

Reaction score
After 12 years and 200k miles on two FJRs (2007, 2015) I made a pretty drastic change. I traded for a KTM Super Duke 1290r! After all the time and miles on the Feej, the Duke feels like a scooter to sit on. Insanely light and powerful, its the most fun bike Ive ever been on. However, after a month, it became apparent that you cant get anywhere on it because there is no wind protection and nobody makes a screen for it that works at all. So I traded it for the tour version, the GT, which I now have. I like it a lot.

I still think the FJR is the best all around sport tourer out there. But as I get older (68) it began to feel too heavy for me around town or in twisties at lower speeds. It got so that I was apprehensive to to take it out for fun. The styling is a little dated and I guess I just needed a little excitement back in my moto life. The SDGT needs all the same farkles as the FJR - seat, windshield, bar risers and pegs to make it right. The big differences are the weight (500lbs wet), torque and h.p., Quickshifter and electronics, and its just so easy to ride slow or insanely fast. I know its not going to as reliable as the feej but its soooo much fun, I dont really care!

bhkfjr posted: Sorry, never could figure out posting pics. Plenty of info online on SuperDuke GT. Mine is silver and black, 2017.
When people post "couldn't figure it out", they really mean "I'm not going to try very hard".

How to post photos on the FJRForum

Photo assist, although this motorbike is silver and orange. And now, I've just become an enabler. <edited photo link to show GT with bags.>

KTM_Superduke1290-2-630x420.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think my wife would be that comfortable on it. I get in enough trouble as it is.

Just sayin,

Dave

I too have an '18 KTM Super Duke R and still have my '16 FJR. No comparison between the bikes--different purposes entirely. The SDR is a hooligan bike at 440 lbs. wet with 177 HP but I wouldn't want to take it on a long trip--that's what the FJR is for.

I did put an MRA windscreen on the SDR and it really gives some pretty good wind protection for day rides. It does have a look only a mother could love--kind of like an alien insect (even more so than the GT model).

Yes, the R was great for short fun rides. Even with the MRA the wind beat the crap out of me at anything over 70 mph. The GT is great for everything now that I have it set up.

I did something similar back in early December for the same reasons as the OP. Traded in my 2014 A model for an extremely clean and low mileage 2016 BMW R1200 RS. Wanted something lighter and sportier that still had some touring abilities. So far so good. Looking forward to putting down some miles.

3JyKtrgK_t.jpg

I did something similar back in early December for the same reasons as the OP. Traded in my 2014 A model for an extremely clean and low mileage 2016 BMW R1200 RS. Wanted something lighter and sportier that still had some touring abilities. So far so good. Looking forward to putting down some miles.
3JyKtrgK_t.jpg
I'm 58, and I may get there someday. Right now, I'm still in love with the FJR, but I've only owned it for a little over a year. Sometimes, when u-turning on a narrow road, or trying to back it up an incline, I do think about something lighter, lol.

Dan

I’ve got a well farkled 08 (36k) and a KTM 1190R (7k) and love them both. Been noodling on the idea of trading both in for a 1200GS, mostly because I am not riding enough to justify 2 bikes (and I’ve got another three bikes sitting idle).

But...I enjoy the FJR when I ride it. And the KTM engine is amazing. And all are paid for. And I’d lose money on the trade in. And BMWs make me worry about repair costs.

As I don't do LD rides anymore, I bought (in 2009), my friends son's 2007 FZ6.

Bought it as a beater-it was laid down several times.

Much lighter than my first gen FJR, semi naked.

Handles great, 44MPG around town, 14,000 red line, 6 speed, in-line 4(small FJR engine) with the

dependability.

After market pipes (Open Scorps) and other farkles, it's by far my favorite bike.

It WILL flat "get it" once "on the pipe" (above 6K)and give most larger bikes a run for the money...

My last bike (un-less wrecked). Sold the FJR, G0ldwing and KLR, down to one bike.. Tires last 2-3 times as long as the FJR and wing..