Twowheelnut Memorial Ride, BBQ, and Motel Details

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number of guests I'll be bringing to the BBQ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• More than 3, PM Ignacio

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside, maybe some of us should ride the route in the opposite direction?!?!? That would effectively split the group, wouldn't it?
Thanks Mike...I think this idea has merit as well! B)
madmike2 and Low Level FJR Pilot: If there is an FJR crew starting out from LA, Orange and San Diego Counties early on Saturday the 27th: Donna and I would be glad to join in with you on our bike; and, ride this route in the opposite direction.

Since the ride is basically the same up and back, I'm not sure how you are going to ride it in reverse. However, the end result is to honor Tim and arrive at the service safely. That said, anyone wishing to "do their own thing" is welcome to do so.

Don,

I have the day off on Friday and will be posting a group ride from San Diego up the 15 with a stop to meet up with any riders North of the 10 in Rancho Cucamonga for others that have Friday off and want to go up early. I will be staying in Carpenteria the night before sharing a room with jorstin. Anyone wanting to go up the day before is welcome to join in on that ride. If somebody wants to lead a ride going the opposite direction I would be up to joining in, but would not be willing to lead one myself as I am still too much of a noob on the twisties but getting more experience with each ride.

Dave

Since the ride is basically the same up and back, I'm not sure how you are going to ride it in reverse. However, the end result is to honor Tim and arrive at the service safely. That said, anyone wishing to "do their own thing" is welcome to do so.
i was thinking the same thing????????

those doing it in reverse will end up in Santa maria and will need to head back to Goleta, Tim would have thought that was kinda strange i am sure. :dribble:

R

I was thinking it was the original ride, and that was a loop, which could have been ridden the opposite direction.

Sorry, I didn't catch that the route plan had changed to an "up-and-back".

A quick reminder of the ground rules for group rides. Yes, everyone should read these just so that we are all on the same page. There is nothing worse than a group ride with people who don't know how to ride in a group!
- The leader leads. Period! Stay behind the leader and watch for signals that indicate trouble ahead. He will set the pace and we WILL ride The Pace.
For anyone wanting a refresher on The Pace, here's a link to the original article:

The Pace

and a link to a follow-up article by the same author:

Pace Yourself

Finally, here's a link to a great post by Andrew Knight from December, 2006:

Group Riding Techniques
[SIZE=18pt]Please..........[/SIZE]

Actually READ the above links!

I know every rider on this site thinks the above instructions are for everyone else.....I know because I plan and lead rides and have seen the careless, thus dangerous, actions behind me by those who do not exercise self-control!

I have been on rides where the person following me had their front tire INSIDE of my rear tire on a turn. I've witnessed several others far closer than a 2-second cushion. I've seen riders habitually lean over the center line on left hand corners. I've witnessed riders "going wide" on turns.

To me, all of the above symptoms are riders who are riding above their own personal ability without regard for others around them. Please consider that nobody at this ride is going to be 100% mentally aware. The very reason for this ride is enough to cause minds and hearts to wander. This has the distinct possibility to turn the event "ugly" and I believe it is the reason some are refusing to ride and honor Tim by doing so.

Toecutter is absolutely correct in his post: When riding on freeways in stagger formation a rider should leave 2 seconds gap to the person in front of them and 1 second gap to the person to their side (the "stagger" rider). When the road becomes a 2-lane affair with turns and twists, the formation should change to single file with 2-3 seconds between bikes and each rider should hold that position rather than "pushing" the rider in front of them.

Do you know how to count "one thousand 1...one thousand 2" and gauge the time between yourself and the rider you are following? Including braking before turns? Assuming you realize you should brake BEFORE the turn and accelerate through it......not brake into the corner thus invading the space of the rider ahead of you. This isn't a competition but a ride to honor our fallen friend!

Since the plan is to divide the master group into smaller, more manageable sections, one hopes that everyone realizes the intent is NOT to catch the group ahead but rather to keep a distance between them for safety and for good relations with the motoring public who would be highly offended at a group of 50+ motorcycles riding as a rolling blockade.

Really, ladies and gentlemen, one should not need to explain the basics to this group but what I have witnessed on the past group rides has given me enough pause and worry I thought something should be said (3 different rides in different locals with someone taking an off-road excursion in each ride. Thankfully nobody was injured!))

Don't just give ascent to the links above...read them...understand them....DO THEM!

Let's all ride safely and without issues. IMO, if you can't, or won't, control your testosterone fueled urges while riding with a group, this may not be a ride you should join.

Please, think about what I've typed...then think again...then read the links and think some more.
Bump to keep this current.

Don't forget...this ride is about honoring our fallen friend. The idea is to FINISH the ride, NOT to win or be first at a "get-well-quick" location.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking the same thing????????

R
Uhhhh well, I was looking forward to linking up with the second half at Betteravia Rd. and riding south on the last leg with the group, but Naah! I'll put a picture of Tim in my map window and rest my eye on him once in awhile, so I'll be with you all in spirit.

I'll see you all at the memorial in Goleta.

Slight change of plans for me. I'll still be at the service and BBQ but won't be able to make the ride.

If anyone is still looking for a room, I have a reservation at the Super 8 for Friday & Saturday night (1 double bed). I'll hold off canceling the room until Monday morning (Sept 15th). PM me if you want the room.

As of now, I have a room with two beds reserved at the Holiday Inn -Friday and Saturday nights.

I don't expect my plans to change.

If someone is looking for a room, Likely I can share with a like minded type:

* Heterosexual

* Modest or lighter on the snoring

* You don't mind roomies who are late, drunk and sometimes forget to extinguish the cigar before entering the (non smoking) room.

* I prefer you bring your own guns and not get into mine. You're welcome to get into my booze, I'll have plenty.

-split costs and you can steal all the soap and towels as I've reached my quota already this year.

contact by email (not PM)

renojohn2007

~ @ ~

goraiders.org

Last edited by a moderator:
As of now, I have a room with two beds reserved at the Holiday Inn -Friday and Saturday nights.-split costs and you can steal all the soap and towels as I've reached my quota already this year.

contact by email (not PM)

renojohn2007

~ @ ~

goraiders.org
I really do need some soap and towels, so this offer is too good to turn down.

See you there, RJ

I would be careful when and where you pick the soap up though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

R

If anyone needs a place to crash for Friday night I reserved a Non-smoking room with 2 full size beds . Motel 6 Santa Barbara/ Carpinteria #346. Only straight , light snorers apply. :lol:

See ya There. Dan

[email protected]

If anyone needs a place to crash for Friday night I reserved a Non-smoking room with 2 full size beds . Motel 6 Santa Barbara/ Carpinteria #346. Only straight , light snorers apply. :lol: See ya There. Dan

[email protected]
You might have a hard time finding a "straight" person with this group. I belive that we are all slightly bent.

See everybody Saturday Morning if the weather holds between Colorado and Cal.

For what it is worth, I marked "No" for the canyon rides as I will be in the cage with my wife. That many corners would not work for her or the upholstery on her side of the car. We will however hook up with the group towards the end of the ride if possible.
Any other cagers or just me?
There will be a number of family cages leaving from Goleta Holiday Inn 10:ish. We will hook up with the rest of the convoy at Pappy's, Betteravia Exit Santa Maria. I'll be riding tandem with someone for the Foxen Canyon section. I've also requested a detour via Coldsprings Tavern so that East Coast Family can see the Bad Biker Bar! Tim's brother Chris has also expressed interest in riding at least the Foxen Canon trail (he rides a little) - anyone.

I think there could be 10 or more cages!

PJK

If you have already voted and you did not get the pillion option please post and let us know that you will be +1. If you did use the voting buttons to report a pillion please DO NOT post....or that will mess up counts.
thanks

Richard
Just found out my wife can come along, so I'll be +1 for the service and the BBQ, but we are probably going to pass on the morning ride.

If anyone needs a place to crash for Friday night I reserved a Non-smoking room with 2 full size beds . Motel 6 Santa Barbara/ Carpinteria #346. Only straight , light snorers apply. :lol: See ya There. Dan

[email protected]
How do you snore straight? Off topic for sure...just curious...

:D
I only snore in the dark, does that count ? :p (Already have room)

Hey guys,

I haven't been on the board in over 3 years.

Anyway, I was reading thru this forum tonight and felt pretty sad about the people that have lost their lives in this community.

I remember Two Wheel Nut and since I am local, I'd like to be a part of remembering him. My condolences to his family and this community for this loss. I loved reading his posts and he was one of THE FIRST people to invite me on a ride when I joined back in 2005.

I'd be riding up from the San Fernando Valley. If anyone wants to caravan up together on Saturday, PM me.

XJRGUY

I was really really really tempted to take the time off and be out there for this. I wish I could, but it's not meant to be.

On my next trek out to CA I'll have to pay homage...

Status
Not open for further replies.