Unauthorized TBS on Gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the Morgan Carbtune directly from their website (England) and they sure delivered. Talk about prompt service. And not to mention a much better price than on eBay in the U.S.

So, what did you pay?

Details, man. We want details!

tonguesmiley.gif

(I've actually already got one. I think it was a heck of a good investment at $100)

Fred,

You do realize that you WILL be the designated Gen3 TBS expert in our area. Eventually all your Gen1 buddies will convert to Gen3 and will need your surgeon's touch under the tank. As amusing as Bungie's undersea adventure was, we don't all need to have that experience. JS.

Fred,
You do realize that you WILL be the designated Gen3 TBS expert in our area. Eventually all your Gen1 buddies will convert to Gen3 and will need your surgeon's touch under the tank.
Yeah, well... unless I make some earth shattering discoveries, I think the TBS will be significantly less productive on third Gens since there appears to be no way to mechanically align the throttle plates. Yeah, you'll be able to tweak the bypass air, but that has little effect much above idle, so I'm thinking this will be one of those "Ronco" things going forward (Just set it and forget it).

There may be a glut of Morgan Carbtunes on the market soon. ;)

Yeah, well... unless I make some earth shattering discoveries, I think the TBS will be significantly less productive on third Gens since there appears to be no way to mechanically align the throttle plates. Yeah, you'll be able to tweak the bypass air, but that has little effect much above idle, so I'm thinking this will be one of those "Ronco" things going forward (Just set it and forget it).
There may be a glut of Morgan Carbtunes on the market soon.
wink.png
I don't think so, the Gen3 still responds nicely to a proper TBS. When I did mine, it wasn't out much, but a little tweaking found it responding nicely afterwards. I'll keep my Carbtune thanks.

I'll still keep the vacuum gauge, need it for my other bikes :)

It should be helpful to indicate that the throttle bodies will need cleaning sometime down the track.

I'll still keep the vacuum gauge, need it for my other bikes :)
It should be helpful to indicate that the throttle bodies will need cleaning sometime down the track.
WynPro PAIR cover plates will delay the throttle body cleaning by ages, make doing plug changes way easier and generally greatly cleanup the snakes nest on top of the head.

While WynPro block off plates will clean up the rats nest of plumbing, and it's probably well worth doing on the first valve check for that reason alone, the throttle bodies get dirty because the crankcase vent dumps its fumes into the (clean side of) the airbox, not because of the PAIR system.

I investigated the situation when I removed my throttle bodies for cleaning (on my '05) and it was readily apparent where the throttle plate spooge was coming from. There is a thread on here about it, but I'm too lazy to go find it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the PAIR when I first lifted the tank, 600kms old :)

My next project will be removing the crank breather into the air box, add a little breather filter.

Tried to do a Unauthorized TBS on a mates Gen2 last week, couldn't achieve a good result.

Managed to improve it but 10:1 it will be gunged up in there.