*Update - dates set* 2015 SE Ohio Ramble possible dates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just .02 cents about location - The routes are typically split into stuff east and west of I-77. Prime location would be one along I-77 that provides quick access to loops on the east and west side of I-77. Marietta, Caldwell, Cambridge, and even Parkersburg, WV fall in this zone.
Athens could work, but it makes an east loop a bit of a stretch; Athens is 47 miles from Marietta; you're basically banking 100 miles of the east loop just getting to and from I-77.

Just food for thought...
Thanks, Wayne. This is why I'm planning on staying in Marietta unless someone comes up with a city, hotel and decent rate in another city nearby. Minimal work needs to be done to make this little shin dig happen. Updating a bunch of routes is not in my plans.
no.gif
I'll help out in any way I can.

Once we agree on a location?, I can motel/hotel seek and negotiate and present all of our options public (here) prior. I've now done this twice before on my Penn-Run Meets (very smooth as reported by my attending guests). No, this doesn't make me an expert, but I did negotiate a 15% discount on Memorial Day Weekend when 4 others tried and failed.

Routes? I have last years .gpx files (like many others here). If you guys desire some tweaking or additional routes like into WV, I can maybe help here as well. For sharing-tweaking, I prefer to use a public link to either googlemaps or mapQ, then take it into BC after everyone has had their say. You know... "oh, you don't want that road in there, it's under construction!", or "dude, that CR6 is a dirt road!".

So I'll help out in whatever direction we need. Oh yeah... I can make the dreaded name tags as well. I have a thermal nametag printer that prints out on stickers; either for lanyards or simple sticking on shirts/hats etc. I also do graphics as well (if ya didn't notice my quick work for an EOM example)....

I pretty much can do it all
wink.png
...JK!!... I hope!
smile.png

-KJ

EOM_badge_zpsfe7b2447.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just .02 cents about location - The routes are typically split into stuff east and west of I-77. Prime location would be one along I-77 that provides quick access to loops on the east and west side of I-77. Marietta, Caldwell, Cambridge, and even Parkersburg, WV fall in this zone.
Athens could work, but it makes an east loop a bit of a stretch; Athens is 47 miles from Marietta; you're basically banking 100 miles of the east loop just getting to and from I-77.

Just food for thought...
Thanks, Wayne. This is why I'm planning on staying in Marietta unless someone comes up with a city, hotel and decent rate in another city nearby. Minimal work needs to be done to make this little shin dig happen. Updating a bunch of routes is not in my plans.
no.gif
I'll help out in any way I can.

Once we agree on a location?, I can motel/hotel seek and negotiate and present all of our options public (here) prior. I've now done this twice before on my Penn-Run Meets (very smooth as reported by my attending guests). No, this doesn't make me an expert, but I did negotiate a 15% discount on Memorial Day Weekend when 4 others tried and failed.

Routes? I have last years .gpx files (like many others here). If you guys desire some tweaking or additional routes like into WV, I can maybe help here as well. For sharing-tweaking, I prefer to use a public link to either googlemaps or mapQ, then take it into BC after everyone has had their say. You know... "oh, you don't want that road in there, it's under construction!", or "dude, that CR6 is a dirt road!".

So I'll help out in whatever direction we need. Oh yeah... I can make the dreaded name tags as well. I have a thermal nametag printer that prints out on stickers; either for lanyards or simple sticking on shirts/hats etc. I also do graphics as well (if ya didn't notice my quick work for an EOM example)....

I pretty much can do it all
wink.png
...JK!!... I hope!
smile.png

-KJ

EOM_badge_zpsfe7b2447.jpg
Well, hell! You can take this ball and run with it! Seriously, I know there are some here who want to do this but can only attend if it is the first weekend. Are you proposing that you will find another town nearby and making the date that first weekend?

(btw, I like the name tag, but Wayne can only join us on the first weekend)

Caldwell Ohio is up the interstate...there is a Best Western there that held the Ramble for a few years. However, they are proud of there rates, and not as many restaurant choices.

They do have a family restaurant next door, and there is beer at the gas stations, and a parking lot to tell fibs. Worked b4...but maybe people have moved on from that place.

Let's get together on a location then!. And, we are trying for the 1st weekend of May (just as last year I take it)?

Then, I'll start making some phone calls to get this ball rolling.

Let's get together on a location then!. And, we are trying for the 1st weekend of May (just as last year I take it)?
Then, I'll start making some phone calls to get this ball rolling.
If we can get a hotel with plenty of rooms (20+) less than $100/night, restaurant(s) within walking distance, and a large enough parking lot for drinking and socializing, it is a possibility! Go for it, KJ!

You might get a little shock when you check out motel rates...fracking is hitting big north of Marietta.Road conditions will probably suffer also,especially on the East route.You might want to consider a southwest route in the Galopolis area.

Anything east of Zanesville will probably be kind of high,I know they are building to motels in Caldwell and two more in Cambridge due to the increased demand.

I think the idea with moving the Marietta was spurred on by the lack of restaurant options in Caldwell. Marietta had the local brewery, and multiple hotels right there off I-77. Denny has a point - demand by the fracking operations will drive hotel rates up.

Sure is a lot a talking going on for flat, straight, and boring roads.

Somebody get this figured out so I can show up and complain.

I have a lighter day today, so I'll do some scouting. I have some help from a local (John) just xcross the river from Marietta also. He agrees that the prices are up and rooms more scarce b/c of the friggen frackers. If I recall last year, we had a few staying at our Microtel that mingled in our tire-kicking sessions.

Stay tuned, hopefully I can come up with some affordable choices close to last years route loops, and w restaurants close by, and of course my goal is "within walking distance".

I also checked yesterday on Athens OH (before someone said that was too far west). Anyway, Athens is ALL booked up that weekend. Like out of 4 motels called, 0 rooms avail. So either they have a grad also or the frackers have invaded there as well.

There are a few places across the river in New Martinsville, WV.

The Plaza Inn of New Martinsville looks to be pretty basic (cheap), has a few food options close by and has good reviews on Trip Advisor. I have never been here, so it could be a complete dump.

I also checked yesterday on Athens OH (before someone said that was too far west). Anyway, Athens is ALL booked up that weekend. Like out of 4 motels called, 0 rooms avail. So either they have a grad also or the frackers have invaded there as well.
Is that for the first weekend in May?

The Plaza Inn of New Martinsville looks to be pretty basic (cheap), has a few food options close by and has good reviews on Trip Advisor. I have never been here, so it could be a complete dump.
This may be a good alternative, thank you and see my post below for Alllen........

Yes, I'm trying for Thurs 4/30 thru Sat 5/2 (checkout Sun 5/3).

I found a few decent ones so far. Most have to have an event Mgr get back to me once I mentioned 25+ rooms.

So.... as far as walking distance amenities go, In the works is the Marietta Super-8 right across the road from our Microtel of last year. It's probably not quite as nice as the Microtel, but so far I have negotiated their normal rate of $89/nite down to low $70's with 20% off. I have a Wyndam group planner getting back to me on this one to explore this more.

03349_b1.jpg

You can see our past Microtel across the street in googlemaps street view here.

So here's my snags at the present time.

-Availability! ...w prior booked wedding(s), a graduation of the local College, and the fracker invasion.

-Amenities, and within walking distance.

-Pricing

-Location (within the loops/area)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly sure that the demand for rooms in Marietta during the Ohio University graduation is due to a shortage of rooms available in Athens. The ceremonies in Athens are Friday May 1, and Saturday May 2.

This hasn't stopped us before, but can make availability tight, especially now considering those freaking road wrecking frackers. By experience, I have found rooms opening up at the Microtel on the Saturday night after graduation.

-Denny

How bad do you think the east loop will be chewed up?

This may be a good alternative, thank you and see my post below for Alllen........

I found a few decent ones so far. Most have to have an event Mgr get back to me once I mentioned 25+ rooms.

So.... as far as walking distance amenities go, In the works is the Marietta Super-8 right across the road from our Microtel of last year. It's probably not quite as nice as the Microtel, but so far I have negotiated their normal rate of $89/nite down to low $70's with 20% off. I have a Wyndam group planner getting back to me on this one to explore this more.

03349_b1.jpg

-Availability! ...w prior booked wedding(s), a graduation of the local College, and the fracker invasion.

-Pricing

Personally, I wouldn't stay in that Super 8 again, unless they cleaned, fumigated, and deodourized the place.

03349_b1.jpg

-Pricing

Personally, I wouldn't stay in that Super 8 again, unless they cleaned, fumigated, and deodourized the place.
Duly noted, it just had a lot of good restaurants within walking distance.

So then the quest continues...