*Update - dates set* 2015 SE Ohio Ramble possible dates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'May not' has possibilities, be there Mark!
Don't worry, He'll be there.....

VIP.jpg

There are a few places across the river in New Martinsville, WV.
The Plaza Inn of New Martinsville looks to be pretty basic (cheap), has a few food options close by and has good reviews on Trip Advisor. I have never been here, so it could be a complete dump.
This may be a good alternative, thank you and see my post below for Alllen........

I also checked yesterday on Athens OH (before someone said that was too far west). Anyway, Athens is ALL booked up that weekend. Like out of 4 motels called, 0 rooms avail. So either they have a grad also or the frackers have invaded there as well.
Is that for the first weekend in May?
Yes, I'm trying for Thurs 4/30 thru Sat 5/2 (checkout Sun 5/3).

I found a few decent ones so far. Most have to have an event Mgr get back to me once I mentioned 25+ rooms.

So.... as far as walking distance amenities go, In the works is the Marietta Super-8 right across the road from our Microtel of last year. It's probably not quite as nice as the Microtel, but so far I have negotiated their normal rate of $89/nite down to low $70's with 20% off. I have a Wyndam group planner getting back to me on this one to explore this more.

03349_b1.jpg

You can see our past Microtel across the street in googlemaps street view here.

So here's my snags at the present time.

-Availability! ...w prior booked wedding(s), a graduation of the local College, and the fracker invasion.

-Amenities, and within walking distance.

-Pricing

-Location (within the loops/area)
Personally, I wouldn't stay in that Super 8 again, unless they cleaned, fumigated, and deodourized the place.
What did you do in that room, and how many sheep did it involve?

[img=[URL="https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/trickyvick/VIP.jpg%5D"]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/trickyvick/VIP.jpg][/URL]
Not there. Never been a strip club kind of guy. Seems icky to be taking advantage of people in a desperate or low time in their lives.

But I do love riding the FJR in SE Ohio and WV so if I can, I will!

OK, my wife (Chris) and I are in for this.

It's close enough to head down from Cleveland after work Friday and hang out/ride with you guys Saturday, then slab it home Sunday.

So I have been to a couple tech days (Bust's in Owasso and Mikes in NY) and have met some really great people.

But here's the thing, I've never been to a Ramble, or any type of organized riding event. And Chris has never ridden on a motorcycle.

Can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mineral Wells is a pretty decent area but the only walking distance food will be Cracker Barrel. There are actually 2 strip clubs plus a book and toy store behind the truck stop. If it's the right weekend there will be a cattle auction on Saturday inside the truck stop.

Route 14 runs through Mineral Wells and it's one of my favorite WV roads. The good riding starts about 5 miles south.

Marietta or Parkersburg lets me sleep at the house but I hope to meet some of you guys.

[img=[URL="https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/trickyvick/VIP.jpg%5D"]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/trickyvick/VIP.jpg][/URL]
Not there. Never been a strip club kind of guy. Seems icky to be taking advantage of people in a desperate or low time in their lives.
But I do love riding the FJR in SE Ohio and WV so if I can, I will!
Mark, I saw this sign hanging up in your garage!?....

AA33Support-Single-Moms-Posters.jpg

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

OK, my wife (Chris) and I are in for this.It's close enough to head down from Cleveland after work Friday and hang out/ride with you guys Saturday, then slab it home Sunday.

So I have been to a couple tech days (Bust's in Owasso and Mikes in NY) and have met some really great people.

But here's the thing, I've never been to a Ramble, or any type of organized riding event. And Chris has never ridden on a motorcycle.

Can't wait!
Well this is an open and relaxed event w NO fees or swag, I may do up some name-tags. So you can make your own pace, make friends and ride with them, if you chose (and there will be several other couples there as well). It's riding during the day, socializing and meeting old and new friends in the late afternoon-early evening. Then most group up and over to eatery joints. It's funnnn! Show up and you'll be addicted and singing up for another.

Speaking of signing up, once we have our lodging down pat, I will start another thread with an attendee list, along with the hotel reservation info.

Mineral Wells is a pretty decent area but the only walking distance food will be Cracker Barrel. There are actually 2 strip clubs plus a book and toy store behind the truck stop. If it's the right weekend there will be a cattle auction on Saturday inside the truck stop.Route 14 runs through Mineral Wells and it's one of my favorite WV roads. The good riding starts about 5 miles south.

Marietta or Parkersburg lets me sleep at the house but I hope to meet some of you guys.

I appreciate all the PM contact John. Great to have some locals input. The Quality Inn you prior mentioned is a backup. The price was 'OK' but being that it is a old hotel/motel, taken over by a 2nd or 3rd... chain, and I saw a lot of "musty room" type of reviews for it. So since this is a tight lodging area w all the frackers and other events that weekend, we'll keep this one as one of our backups.

I would say without all the competition for rooms that weekend, we would easily meet all of our requirements and have a lot of choices. After a few full days of hair pulling research, the Mineral Wells location comes as close as I think we are going to get for 25+ rooms.

That being said, nothing says anyone "has" to stay at the groups headquarters. The Holiday Inn Express is just across the street as well. Downside is that they wanted upwards of $140/nite, but hey, someone may have IHG points to use for them?. I do have enough IHG points actually, but will save them for another time as I want to be at the homebase w the guys n gals.

Great group as you'll soon find out!
smile.png

****UPDATE****

Cheryl from 'Wydham Group Booking' will have our answer (to whether they have turned down or accepted my 10% better than the AAA rate that they previously offered).

- If you book off of let's say expedia or priceline, you will not get our group discount, nor would you have the 24hr cancellation (unless you pay their higher rate. They all have 2 rates, 1w or 1w/out a cancellation).

- I also have the block (with expansion of more rooms if avail at time) reserved for upto 14 days before our check-in.

So Monday we'll get our answer. They may or may not play hard ball?. If not, you know that they know "they have the ace in their pocket!"... w all the frackers.

Happy Weekend all, stay warm!

-KJ

Thanks for all the work you are doing on this KJ! Glad I started this thread...so you can take it over and find us a hotel. :)

Thanks for all the work you are doing on this KJ! Glad I started this thread...so you can take it over and find us a hotel.
smile.png
Glad you got the ball rolling first! And, somebody had to take this and run w it, and since I've done it before, guess I'm the dumb-ass who took the reins. No problem tho, it's too awesome of an area to let this pass by.

Wayne has EOM, with a much bigger event and mega planning, so he needs a break I figure. Speaking of Wayne and EOM?, I hear Josh (Cav47) has volunteered to help Wayne this year with the introductory speech. (the ballroom acoustical part anyways)
wink.png
kiss.gif

OK, my wife (Chris) and I are in for this.It's close enough to head down from Cleveland after work Friday and hang out/ride with you guys Saturday, then slab it home Sunday.

Can't wait!
Glad you decided to keep the FJR...you might want to take the wife on a few rides prior to the Ramble.

correct. OU graduation was same weekend & rate was something like $87/night last year. My 2 cents is 5/1 weekend vs. the other two options, but I'm a guest on an ST1300.... unless I pull the string on that SWEET '14 FJR I drooled over (after getting off of ityesterday!

correct. OU graduation was same weekend & rate was something like $87/night last year. My 2 cents is 5/1 weekend vs. the other two options, but I'm a guest on an ST1300.... unless I pull the string on that SWEET '14 FJR I drooled over (after getting off of ityesterday!
We welcome other bike owners, including ST1300 and BMW owners! ;)

OK, my wife (Chris) and I are in for this.

It's close enough to head down from Cleveland after work Friday and hang out/ride with you guys Saturday, then slab it home Sunday.

Can't wait!
Glad you decided to keep the FJR...you might want to take the wife on a few rides prior to the Ramble.
Thanks Joe. Hope all is going well with your recovery! Would still like to stop over someday once the weather breaks.

So I still haven't figured out the handling issue. Also sold the Gen 3 shock and Cee Bailey flip because I was ready to bail. But seeing the value of my '05 drop like a rock since the Gen 3's came out convinced me to hang in there and get this thing sorted. Now I need to find another shock.

No idea why my wife decided to try riding with me, but no complaints here.

Now I just need to score some used riding gear for her.

BTW, we swapped going to the Ohio Ramble for the PennRun.

Short answer, it works better for us. I want to make Chris' first riding event as stress free as possible.

We welcome other bike owners, including ST1300 and BMW owners!
wink.png
No more Beemer a-holes!, one is enough!
haha.gif

...and I'm kidding, all makes/models welcome. As always, we just ask that any loud pipes ride to the rear of their group(s).

BTW, we swapped going to the Ohio Ramble for the PennRun.Short answer, it works better for us. I want to make Chris' first riding event as stress free as possible.
Well of course I'd say both! One is the beginning of the Month, the other on the tail end, so you'll have time to recoup.

And, the Penn-Run is very couples friendly. Mainly b/c of how quaint the town is! (and us guys love the close walking amenities). All da' womenz just love this town, and when they lite the gas light poles donning the downtown's median?........ well, it's automatic-systematic!
kiss.gif

The day loop planned is great also. A ~275mi mix of everything (except dirt roads). Some of PA414 gets close to this however, but the mountain and streams scenery along with the barely paved road.... is as close to adventure riding as you'll get without leaving the asphalt. For all of you ES owners, you may want to switch to Soft or Comfort
smile.png

**Back to SEO Chat**

Today (Mon 1/12/15) we should find out if my low ball price tripped their trigger. I will post here the results so we can post up our group thoughts. One thing to keep in mind; this is just a temporary home for the SEO-Ramble!. We can (hopefully) head back to the Microtel in Marrietta next year. You can't beat their loca and the easily walked-to amenities.