US spec FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcat

Reaction score
I have just bought a US spec 2007 model FJR in the UK. I am interested to know if that it means it was built in the USA or are all FJR's built in Japan?

Thanks in advance to anybody that takes the trouble to answer.

I have just bought a US spec 2007 model FJR in the UK. I am interested to know if that it means it was built in the USA or are all FJR's built in Japan?

They are all build in Japan. USA spec just would mean it is licencable in the US.

KM

All bikes are built in Japan. The main thing is it has a VIN meeting the US guidelines and will be a different series than UK VINs. The bikes are the same, unless it's a California spec US bike, which have a charcoal canister for evaporative emissions. Only the French FJRs were de-tuned with a different air box for the 90 Hp rating requirement.

Welcome to the community and enjoy your FJR.

All FJRs are built in Japan - this is specified on the VIN plate, located on te engine frame at the triple-T.

The Euro FJRs have 'flash to pass' switches and parking lights and the UK variant will have a headlight reflector designed for left hand driving - US-spec (DOT) lighting rises to the right to illuminate roadside signs.

Euro and Canadian spec machines will also have the antitheft transponder/immobiliser system. Canadian bikes are delivered with saddlebags, but no liners. US bikes include the saddlebag liners - not sure what they give you on your side of the pond.

Canadian spec machines come with factory heated grips, US 'A' models do not (the US AE does) - not sure what the story is for Euro machines.

Euro machines have a different paint treatment with stripes and optional colours.

FRENCH machines are detuned because of their stupid 100 horsepower law.

Your US machine will have no warranty when registered outside of the US.

I'm sure I'll remember more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Euro and Canadian spec machines will also have the antitheft transponder/immobiliser system and will be delivered with saddlebags and saddlebag liners.
Panniers yes, liners no in Aust

Canadian spec machines come with factory heated grips, US 'A' models do not (the US AE does) - not sure what the story is for Euro machines.
All models have heated grips since 07 in Aust

Euro machines have a different paint treatment with stripes and optional colours.
Fairly boring colours at that, need a Candy Apple red or similar.

I wonder how a US bike got there? Military guy, I guess?
It seems to be fairly common for UK dealers to score US bikes. They don't have as many restrictions as we do in the US about foreign bikes/cars/importations, etc.

Hey redcat

I have a US spec bike as well, let me know when she has the urge to come over here and mate... :yahoo:

have fun

Alfred

I have a US spec bike as well, let me know when she has the urge to come over here and mate... :yahoo: have fun

Alfred
You need a Divvy in the garage? They never grow up. Besides, it's much more sexy if you cross them with an Italian. ;)

I wonder how a US bike got there? Military guy, I guess?
It seems to be fairly common for UK dealers to score US bikes. They don't have as many restrictions as we do in the US about foreign bikes/cars/importations, etc.
Yep, they have a whole 'gray market' industry in the U.K. -- it may be some-what a problem for 1st-line franchised importers/dealers?

Another hot-spot for gray-market m/c is Scandanvian countries (I've heard?). Big-engined, high-horsepower bikes either aren't allowed to be sold new (or, may be severely taxed?). Don't know -- but, have met buyers looking for used big-engined U.S. bikes to export there.