VOLCANO RIDE 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angry.gif
Rain along with warm temps can change this, but don't count on it. If the date doesn't hold up, I will try to still make it up there on the day before it opens. Usually Friday.
yahoo.gif

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks but this ride will have to be rescheduled. Forest Service road 25 will not be open until after July 4th this year. See the Gifford Pinchot National Forest web site for more.

Due to the heavy snowfall in February and March the passes will like open later than normal with 20% to 50% above average snowfall in the Cascades.

This just sucks. It is March 17th today and it is snowing at my house this morning. I live at 250 above sea level near Seattle.
Went by there on my way home and the bridge is washed out on 25 also about 12 miles up from Randle.

CS

Will meet you all at the top with my new bike...
So tell us about your new bike!
Hi there Fontanaman,

Spring Tech Meet post link

scroll down a little for my two Tuono pictures.

It's definitely no FJR when it comes to long distance comfort, but honestly a bunch more fun when it comes to easy leaning.

The Rotax V twin is a pretty cool engine, I've been mostly running it between 3 and 7k rpm so far, slowly creeping up towards using more of the possible 12k range. If you really want to know what WOT does above 5500 or so, it fast gets kind of scary and you have to work hard to keep the front down. All that being said, it's been a phenomenal bike for me so far, and more fun AND more comfortable then I ever imagined it could be. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Volcano Ride is a self motivated and instigated effort. If you can find someone to Tag along with, that is fine. Saturday is the 30th and suppose to be the first for this years rides to Windy Ridge. The current schedule by the Gifford Pinchot folks looks bleak. look here is indicating July 14th to be opened to Windy Ridge. That puts the Day Before Ride on Friday the 13th.

I may try both days.
yahoo.gif
June 30th and July 13. Why? Because I can.
yahoo.gif
PM me if you want to do the same and want to Tag along.

Ah... crap weather forecast now.

That's the kind of weather that makes me miss my FJR the most. Not sure about making it tomorrow now.

I made the effort to go to Windy Ridge but was held back at FR25/93 where I found the gate locked. Interesting thing was that there was a Subaru on the other side of the gate that drove down from Randle. The driver said that the road was clear of snow and there was only debris from the trees in the roadway. Good sign that FR 25 will be open this week. Maybe the 4th as they indicate.

I backtracked to FR 25/90 and took 90 over to Curly Creek and then Meadow Creek. Stopping at McClellum Viewpoint to eat lunch, said hi to a number of people, then came on home on Hwy 14.

Didn't get rained on until I got to Camas and that only lasted until I got to I-5. So it was a nice ride, which is the idea behind the Volcano Ride anyway.

No one else showed up or I didn't see anyone on another FJR.

According to this link;

FR 99 opens after 7/14/12, but it looks like that was posted on 6/14/12.

FR 25 may open 7/2/12 according to a 6/28/12 posting
Day before ride is Friday July 13th

Washougal at 12 noon. Ride to Windy Ridge.

All are welcome to try.
So that puts you at Windy Ridge roughly when? I would come over from Kelso/Longview (Going up HW30 to Rainier bridge), so I would still like to try to meet up at the Windy Ridge Parking Lot...

According to this link;

FR 99 opens after 7/14/12, but it looks like that was posted on 6/14/12.

FR 25 may open 7/2/12 according to a 6/28/12 posting
Day before ride is Friday July 13th

Washougal at 12 noon. Ride to Windy Ridge.

All are welcome to try.
So that puts you at Windy Ridge roughly when? I would come over from Kelso/Longview (Going up HW30 to Rainier bridge), so I would still like to try to meet up at the Windy Ridge Parking Lot...
I will be looking for the Tuono?

According to the link, and posted on the 3rd of July, Route 25 is now open. What date is the new date for the Windy Ridge ride? I would like to join up for this still.

According to the link, and posted on the 3rd of July, Route 25 is now open. What date is the new date for the Windy Ridge ride? I would like to join up for this still.
The Volcano Ride was last Saturday and the next one will be in September. Now if you missed the official ride, and are interested in going on another motorcycle ride to Windy Ridge, you might try July 13th. As noted above I will be riding up there on that day. Now remember, the official date to open FR 99 is the 14th of July, so you may not make it all the way, but in the past we have been able to do so. We call that day "the day before ride" meaning it is literally a gamble. You see, I don't care if it is open or not as I will do it on another day too. You may want to do the same. You are welcome to tag along with us on the 13th. We are meeting at Washougal at 12 noon.

Side note: The Volcano Ride was originally set up to be a destination point, not necessarily a group ride to and from. There are lots of good roads in the area and one might want to investigate them to and from. Like you may want to leave in the morning and ride to Trout Lake for huckleberry pie then follow FR 23 to FR 90 to FR 25 to FR99 to get to Windy Ridge and then you may want to go home by way of Mt. Rainier????? Lots to do and explore.

The Volcano Ride was last Saturday and the next one will be in September. Now if you missed the official ride, and are interested in going on another motorcycle ride to Windy Ridge, you might try July 13th. As noted above I will be riding up there on that day. Now remember, the official date to open FR 99 is the 14th of July, so you may not make it all the way, but in the past we have been able to do so. We call that day "the day before ride" meaning it is literally a gamble. You see, I don't care if it is open or not as I will do it on another day too. You may want to do the same. You are welcome to tag along with us on the 13th. We are meeting at Washougal at 12 noon.

Side note: The Volcano Ride was originally set up to be a destination point, not necessarily a group ride to and from. There are lots of good roads in the area and one might want to investigate them to and from. Like you may want to leave in the morning and ride to Trout Lake for huckleberry pie then follow FR 23 to FR 90 to FR 25 to FR99 to get to Windy Ridge and then you may want to go home by way of Mt. Rainier????? Lots to do and explore.
Ken, I guess I didn't quite understand your last posts either. "Day before ride is Friday July 13th" - I thought that meant the actual ride is on Saturday!

I didn't think there were any takers for the initial Windy Ridge ride day? Thought it was a bust, and you were trying for a second time this coming weekend. Didn't you comment on not seeing other FJRs? Anyway, so know I understand that you will only go on Friday the 13th, and not at all on Saturday.

I personally can't go Friday, but still want to go up there (badly!!!), so I will try the Windy Ridge on Saturday the 14th around lunch time, at least as long as the rain stays away. I'd be happy to meet up with anybody else also making it on Saturday rather than Friday.

Last edited by a moderator: