VOLCANO RIDE 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Deer Deer stay away, ya got bugnatar & puppychow, now don't jump in front of us on Saturday!
You never see any deer in the area.
Except mile marker 28 on Wind River Road, a yearling killed my FJR.
Kind of spoiled that wonderful ride you had laid out in La Pine. Sorry to hear that. What did you do?
It was just getting good too. You can read about it here

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=148381&pid=1001492&st=0entry1001492

Did you know 25 is closed past Windy ridge to Randle until at least the 26th if I remember the sign correctly.

OK, my Aprilia is back up and running strong after some needed maintenance (electrical gremlins). Will support the FJRs up there for Saturday lunch with a couple of Italian and German hooligan bikes. Hope to see many of you up there at the parking lot!

OK, my Aprilia is back up and running strong after some needed maintenance (electrical gremlins). Will support the FJRs up there for Saturday lunch with a couple of Italian and German hooligan bikes. Hope to see many of you up there at the parking lot!
See you there. Have fun riding to and from as that is the intent of this ride, not necessarily meeting up.

Did you know 25 is closed past Windy ridge to Randle until at least the 26th if I remember the sign correctly.
From the Forest Service re: FS 25:

9/11/2012: The road will be closed from 7:00 am on Sept. 17, 2012 to 7:00 a.m. on Sept. 27, 2012 for the culvert replacement where Woods Creek passes under Forest Road 25 at milepost 3.9. The closure will occur at the extreme north end of FR 25, approximately 4.5 miles south of Randle, Wash. This project is designed to restore fish passage in this tributary to the Cispus River.

This is a negative for those from the North and those that wanted to enter from US 12 coming in from the East.
mad.gif

Sorry, after seeing the sign between Yale lake and swift reservoir that windy ridge was closed we took the turn down to Carson instead. Just met Fjray at the gas station in Wind River, he told me you where all meeting about 5 miles short of the parking lot.... Well, hope to see you next season! What a great day for a ride this is :)

Had a great time today and a good ride. Although the roads seam to get worse every year as there is no real road repair, only half ass patchwork, and you must ride the path that misses as many bad spots as possible. Because there wasn't hardly any traffic due to the closures, 95% of the time you could choice either lane to ride in and miss the down hill side drops in pavement. Aside from the harsh road, the corners that were in great shape provided the reward for a great day of riding.

Three of us met up at the Chevron in Washougal and went out hwy 14 to Carson. At Carson we headed north on Wind River Rd. At the intersection of Wind River and Curly Creek (approx. mile post 27.5) we said a prayer for Dougs new bike, er, recovery. If he had a deer strike at m.p. 28, he missed the turn.
smile.gif

The road was closed after the Cascade Peaks Viewpoint, about 2/3rds the way up to Windy Ridge. Since the Volcano Rides first days, closures have keep us from getting to Windy Ridge, but hey, its a Volcano ride and there are a few others in the area to waste time riding to.

After Lunch, Mark headed back to Oregon City, and split off at 90/25 intersection. Ray headed back home and split off at 90/Curly Creek. Victor and I headed to Trout Lake for huckleberry pie. Again, the roads were not great, but the ride through the forest was great. The pie was great too and hit the spot. All in all a good day.

Not making it to Windy Ridge is okay, and changing the ride plan due to road closures is par for the course. The idea is to get out and ride. Good for those that did. Here are some pics I took.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/sets/72157631600390414/

Last edited by a moderator:
Three of us met up at the Chevron in Washougal and went out hwy 14 to Carson. At Carson we headed north on Wind River Rd. At the intersection of Wind River and Curly Creek (approx. mile post 27.5) we said a prayer for Dougs new bike, er, recovery. If he had a deer strike at m.p. 28, he missed the turn.
smile.gif
Yes I did miss the turn. It was on the way back from where the road turns to gravel that I took out Bambi but thanks for the prayers!

Nice to see you guys had a good ride!

smile.gif
Yes I did miss the turn. It was on the way back from where the road turns to gravel that I took out Bambi but thanks for the prayers!

Nice to see you guys had a good ride!
Victor and I stopped at the Curly Creek intersection to wait for Mark and he and Duke rushing to catch up missed the turn too. It is real easy to get up to 70+ along that straight stretch and if you aren't looking at the smallish signs, you may go right on by. That area is better know for Elk, so we be happy it wasn't one of those, and I have seen those more than deer.

It turns out that the road was closed at Cascade Peaks Wayside because of a "Culvert Repair", to aid in fish migration, further up the road. Apparently it is done, and it is open again to the end of the road for those (Perhaps including me) that want to get up there before the snow flies.

Even the amazingly beautiful and varied scenery of the PNW, there are few places as dramatic and interesting, and fun to ride, as this series of roads.

I have tried to ride it every year since the mountain blew it's top. Even after years of regrowth, it is still a shocking moment as one rides up the mountain to come out of the dense forest, and round the corner suddenly into the devastated area.

Because the roads are so much fun, and scenery is so amazing on this side of the mountain, we tend to ride it often. However, the other side of the mountain is interesting as well, and has visiter centers with much more historical information on the eruption itself and the ecology of the regrowth of flora, and the return of the fauna. It is well worth the ride up there just to see the films of the eruption that are shown at the visitor center and the views from Observatory ridge.

It turns out that the road was closed at Cascade Peaks Wayside because of a "Culvert Repair", to aid in fish migration, further up the road. Apparently it is done, and it is open again to the end of the road for those (Perhaps including me) that want to get up there before the snow flies.

Even the amazingly beautiful and varied scenery of the PNW, there are few places as dramatic and interesting, and fun to ride, as this series of roads.

I have tried to ride it every year since the mountain blew it's top. Even after years of regrowth, it is still a shocking moment as one rides up the mountain to come out of the dense forest, and round the corner suddenly into the devastated area.

Because the roads are so much fun, and scenery is so amazing on this side of the mountain, we tend to ride it often. However, the other side of the mountain is interesting as well, and has visiter centers with much more historical information on the eruption itself and the ecology of the regrowth of flora, and the return of the fauna. It is well worth the ride up there just to see the films of the eruption that are shown at the visitor center and the views from Observatory ridge.
Sounds like a CALL?
rolleyes.gif

Well... there is still time this year to make it to the top... or perhaps to go up the other side for a stop at the visitors center for some historical review, and a look at the mountain from the other side? :unsure:

Victor & Ken & Ray make sure ya see my video ruben run part 6 in the video section!

Last edited by a moderator: