VOLCANO RIDE 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken, I guess I didn't quite understand your last posts either. "Day before ride is Friday July 13th" - I thought that meant the actual ride is on Saturday!
Sorry about that, I can read it that way too.
laugh.gif

Ken,

Sorry I missed the last attempt, I was riding back from SF. I sort of commute these days. It is amazing how many ways there are to do that trip.

I'll try to make it on the 13th.

Chevron Station in Washougal?

So Saturday is definitely a go for me, weather is going to be great.

So far it will be one Aprilia Tuono and one BMW R1200R meeting up with one FJR (CSkach) at around ± 12-1pm at the Windy Ridge Parking Lot.

So Saturday is definitely a go for me, weather is going to be great.

So far it will be one Aprilia Tuono and one BMW R1200R meeting up with one FJR (CSkach) at around ± 12-1pm at the Windy Ridge Parking Lot.
Sounds great Chris. Have a great ride. I will help clear the road for you.
wink.gif

Well, either no one else showed, or, the Chevron in Washougal at 1641 E ST was not the right location. :huh:

Well, either no one else showed, or, the Chevron in Washougal at 1641 E ST was not the right location. :huh:
Wrong location. The Chevron on C st. just off of hwy 14. Easy on off to SR 14. With all the construction it is hard to see, but before and in the future, it will be the one you notice on your way up the Gorge. It is often used by many riders as a meeting point before riding east up the Gorge. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Since I got there at 12:08 and there wasn't anyone there, I waited until 12:27 before leaving. I was hoping to run into you guys on the way up or at Windy Ridge. I was at Windy Ridge until around 3pm but you didn't show up there either. We could have riding back together.
angry.gif

Pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/sets/72157630567188278/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,

Sorry I didn't make it. I had an unfortunately very sick dog to deal with.

How did it go?
The weather was perfect. The roads were as clean as I have seen them, even the last 3 miles were free of the usual gravel. I wore down the rubber on the tires a lot. Good fun twisty roads mean lousy tire wear. Sorry you couldn't make it. How is the dog doing?

Darn, sounds like my kind of road! I guess I need to get up there before the road starts to pick up junk. Sorry for missing it, I always look forward to our "Gentle" rides up that road.

I leave by bike for a commute to my office in SF, on Sunday, and will be at the US round of MOTO GP at Laguna Seca the following weekend---Anyone else going to be there?

Although we (BRD Electric Motorcycles) won't have a presence there this year (To busy with development work, as we go to market this year), there will be an electric bike race on the card before noon on Sunday. The electric bikes can't go as far or quite as fast as the GP bikes yet, they are still fast and exciting to watch. Pretty amazing-electric bikes on the same card as MOTO GP! If any of you have not seen E2Ws race, you might be pleasantly surprised at just how fast they are and how far this tech has come.

Take a look at our Face Book page for some interesting videos and reviews.

The dog, a 13 1/2 year old Lab, is doing OK. She is already older than most large labs live. So, the occasional "Setback" is understandable. Like any member of the family, we take her health and comfort seriously and spent some anxious time at the vets office.

Wrong location. The Chevron on C st. just off of hwy 14. Easy on off to SR 14. With all the construction it is hard to see, but before and in the future, it will be the one you notice on your way up the Gorge. It is often used by many riders as a meeting point before riding east up the Gorge. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Since I got there at 12:08 and there wasn't anyone there, I waited until 12:27 before leaving. I was hoping to run into you guys on the way up or at Windy Ridge. I was at Windy Ridge until around 3pm but you didn't show up there either. We could have riding back together.
angry.gif

Pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/sets/72157630567188278/
Sorry, Ken. I arrived at about 12 at the one off of Washougal River Road, as I live in Orchards I go around the back way by Lacamas Lake to get to Camas and Washougal. More curves and less cagers. As I was leaving, I went up 14 to see if there was another, and low and behold, there was. I arrived there at about 1230. I didn't know if anyone was still going, or what route you were going to take, and with that length of a ride and lack of cell service, I didn't feel like going up there by myself. I am sorry about not making it. That ride up NF25 is purely awesome!

I am going to try to get some time in the next week or so to go up and do that ride if you are interested in doing it again.

Yo Ken,

It was fun, and a surprise, running into you in the turn 4 grand stand at the Moto GP at Laguna Seca! Proving once again that this is a small world-at least the Moto part of it.

So far this year I haven't had a chance to do the St. Helens ride and plan to (Try) and meet up with you for the September round.

On the other hand, I have averaged two commutes a month to SF by several different routes. By taking short cuts, I can make a simple 700 mi commute into twice that distance.

Some short cuts this year have been Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Yosemite, Hwy 36 (of course), and a few others.

Living in PDX and working in SF has it's advantages... If you are in the MC biz and can get away with this sort of thing.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate meeting with a road rat in Montana. Glad to see you were still in one piece.

Victor

FINALLY made it up there and checked out this Windy Ridge thingie.

I'll get a shitty ride report together soon, but I must say, it was an "interesting" trip ..... following Niehart's directions.

(Dave, the huckleberry pie in Trout Lake was very good. Thank you.)

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3129XX.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3149XX.jpg

BTW, it was "Old Dudes on Moto GOOT-SEES Day" up there.
biggrin.gif

IMG_3127.jpg

I am going to try to get some time in the next week or so to go up and do that ride if you are interested in doing it again.
Just post up on this thread. I will get the message and if possible I will do the ride. Right now I am correcting deer damage to the bike and it may be a couple weeks before it is all back together. (or longer depending on parts).

FINALLY made it up there and checked out this Windy Ridge thingie.

I'll get a shitty ride report together soon, but I must say, it was an "interesting" trip ..... following Niehart's directions.

(Dave, the huckleberry pie in Trout Lake was very good. Thank you.)
Nice pictures, can you make them any larger?
wink.gif

And, you climbed to the top of the hill. You are the man. And I thought you were too "OLD" to get off the bike and climb mountains.
laugh.gif

I never knew that the wind river went to st. helens I was just up that direction Wednesday morning for the rally in stevenson. drove as far as the hatchery and stop at our old stomping grounds for camping. Can't ride my fjr yet til i pass team oregon on 9/9 for a retest to get endorsed.

Just post up on this thread. I will get the message and if possible I will do the ride. Right now I am correcting deer damage to the bike and it may be a couple weeks before it is all back together. (or longer depending on parts).
Damn, that sucks! Not your year for keeping that FJR pristine. I am off work for next week and a half or so. If you are able to get it put back together, let me know. I am definitely up for a ride to Windy Ridge. Take care.