Weekly Harley Rant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that IQ drops relative to the number of, and somtimes type of, riders riding together. Hurd mentality makes it easier to ride and to not have to think at the same time, just follow. Kinda like what most people do when driving a cage.
Doesn't riding in a big group defeat one of the thrills and advantages of owning a performance motorcycle? ie freedom of movement and satisfaction of riding at ones personal skill level?

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't riding in a big group defeat one of the thrills and advantages of owning a performance motorcycle? ie freedom of movement and satisfaction of riding at ones personal skill level?

Bill
Unless riding in a big group DEFINES one's personal skill level! :rofl:

Lemmings.jpg

Bill

Lemmings.jpg
Screw You, Manatee Boy!!!

IMG_7145.jpg

when we approached a slightly slower car, that car would move right, onto the shoulder, so we could continue on past without crossing the centerline.
it's the law (developed shoulder rule) in Texas. if you get outside of the major metromesses, you see people doing it all the time.

Don't know about CA, but at least here in CO, it's illegal to stay in the left-lane unless you're passing someone. Not that it stops anyone, but that's what the law states.
And it either says to keep right except to pass or "slower traffic keep right" without a qualifier in small print, up to the speed limit then everyone can go anywhere at that limit. it's not the job of other drivers to be traffic cops. if you're slower, move right. let the cops deal with traffic control.

^^^^ I started a reply in a similar vein, but was not so eloquent so I gave up and didn't post it. It was all about the phsychological differences in self-gratification between the need to be seen being a rider versus the need to enjoy riding. It was about 28,000 words by the time I decided I was not getting the point across. Congrats to CHRSMTCMGFA (or however one should abbreviate it :p ) for his conciseness.

(BTW, lots of forum handles have good abbreviations that everbody will understand, especially in context in a thread. Everyone knows (and fondly remembers) TWN, and there's RH, MM2, Iggy, and several other shorthand versions of forum names. But that one, just can't do it, can you? Kind of reminds you of how the TV folks have to abbreviate driver/rider names in racing to put the timing up on the screen.)

I hate ALL BLOCKERS...car or motorcycle or truck.
+1 :good:
+1

I was out on Sunday and came up on 10 HDs on a fun part RT60 in OHIO. Picked them off in twos as they were a bit spread out in the corners. The last one pulled onto the center line as I came by...you just don't know what is going through there head.

Bill

Lemmings.jpg
Screw You, Manatee Boy!!!

IMG_7145.jpg
Love the belly pad on the tank. Very practical indeed.
Gary

darksider #44
Thanks Gary, with the money I have invested in my big belly, I have to take good care of it. Thousands upon thousands of dollars spent on Jameson, Guinness, tamales, Harp, enchiladas, Bushmill's, Dos Equis, lasagna, Herradura Tequila and Sheherd's Pie!

I think I am the only H-D owner in North America that uses a tank bag, I am so used to having tank bags on my motos, that it feels weird not having one. Even my dual sport bikes such as my GS and KLR have tank bags. Really practical on all motorcycles!!!

Dayum Don...You're a sexy bitch!
Why thanks Cutie, you are pretty HOT yourself!

I was out on Sunday and came up on 10 HDs on a fun part RT60 in OHIO. Picked them off in twos as they were a bit spread out in the corners. The last one pulled onto the center line as I came by...you just don't know what is going through there head.
They drive their cages the same way. It's their road, how dare you use it differently.

It's not about any motorcycle BRAND....it's about people acting like.....well....people: Unthinking, selfish, uncaring, etc. :blink:

It has taken me some years to finally understand that, when we catch and pass any style of vehicle (cruiser, tourer, tourist in a cage, et al). we are violating their experience of the moment. Sometimes we are offending their self-perception (In the case of some cruiser riders, their egocentric view of themselves as "bad-ass").

I know this because I used to bristle when sport bikes would catch me at a high rate of speed. One day I questioned my own perception of "them" and realized that wasn't my job. Now I simply watch my "6", when being overtaken by another I simply flag them around. I can only hope that I'm "paying it forward". Sometimes the magic works, other times I have to work on my own patience (a full time job, I might add).

NOTE: See my second signature line, substitute "ride like" for "argue with". ;)

Just pass them and enjoy YOUR ride. If you can't pass them, pull over for a iced tea/cola/water/coffee and then catch them,,,repeat as necessary.....and smile! :D

It has taken me some years to finally understand that, when we catch and pass any style of vehicle (cruiser, tourer, tourist in a cage, et al). we are violating their experience of the moment. Sometimes we are offending their self-perception (In the case of some cruiser riders, their egocentric view of themselves as "bad-ass").

I know this because I used to bristle when sport bikes would catch me at a high rate of speed. One day I questioned my own perception of "them" and realized that wasn't my job. Now I simply watch my "6", when being overtaken by another I simply flag them around. I can only hope that I'm "paying it forward". Sometimes the magic works, other times I have to work on my own patience (a full time job, I might add).
Well said, Miguel Loco.