What's the best brake light modulator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The TIR3 doesn't have a flash then steady feature built in. I wired it up to on of the brake lights. It is crazy bright for sure. I don't think im going to use a flasher just due to the fact that it is already so freaken bright. I am going to install a toggle switch though so I can turn it off while doing a group ride.

Yeah, I did that. Installed a push-push On-Off switch under the rear seat when I installed my LIN3 3rd brake light, way back when...

100_3113.jpg

I also installed the little 3rd brake light universal flasher module with a small momentary switch on the two wires that need to be shorted together to program the flash rate. Once installed, and the desired "5 fast strobes then steady" was selected I have never used either of those switches. Though I lead a lot of riders around (ask any NERD) and I have asked many of them if they found the brightness or flashing objectionable.

The only video I have of the LIN3 flashing is a bad one. I'll see if I can get a better one in daylight conditions that accurately reflects what it looks like.

Yeah, I did that. Installed a push-push On-Off switch under the rear seat when I installed my LIN3 3rd brake light, way back when...
100_3113.jpg

I also installed the little 3rd brake light universal flasher module with a small momentary switch on the two wires that need to be shorted together to program the flash rate. Once installed, and the desired "5 fast strobes then steady" was selected I have never used either of those switches. Though I lead a lot of riders around (ask any NERD) and I have asked many of them if they found the brightness or flashing objectionable.

The only video I have of the LIN3 flashing is a bad one. I'll see if I can get a better one in daylight conditions that accurately reflects what it looks like.

I have followed Fred many times and for many miles and the brake light does not annoy me at all. In fact it was after I saw how effective his was that I added a Whelen and universal flasher similar to what he has. I also have LED running and brake lights in my Givi V46, but they don't help much during the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will only use the modulator with the TIR3 LED light.
Sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, the one I have is excellent and inexpensive. It has many flash patterns available, but i use the one with three quick flashes followed by steady on. This Universal brake light flasher is the one I have
That is the same one I used on my FJR. Compact and worked well.

Any one have video or pictures of the hyper-lites or whelen in actual use in daylight? Most I've seen look to be in low light and/or stationary. I'd like to see them in actual daylight on the road.
Keep in mind where Whelen's are often found. Next time you're out and see a cop or ambulance with it's lights on, decide for yourself how well they work in the daylight.

Any one have video or pictures of the hyper-lites or whelen in actual use in daylight? Most I've seen look to be in low light and/or stationary. I'd like to see them in actual daylight on the road.
Keep in mind where Whelen's are often found. Next time you're out and see a cop or ambulance with it's lights on, decide for yourself how well they work in the daylight.
True, but I have seen some dim lights on police bikes, cars and trucks different though.

OK, here's the video you asked for:

The video capture rate of my camera is not quite fast enough to accurately capture the strobe rate. The LIN3 is actually strobing 5 times quickly and then going solid. Under-sampling makes it seem like it is flashing unevenly. But at least you get an idea of how bright it is in direct sunlight.

Then two years later . . .

I came across another auxiliary brake light option earlier this year and took a chance on it, doing the install on my new 2015. So far it has seen about 10k miles with no issues and after getting a few inquiries about it at a recent NERDS gathering, thought it might be worth sharing.

As I posted earlier in this thread I've been a big fan of the Whelen LIN3/TIR3 setup documented here but, like others, discovered that due to some changes in the rear of the Gen IIIs these lights don't fit as neatly as they previously did. Specifically, on my Gen I I had them installed in the space directly under the taillights however this space no longer exists on the new bikes. Mounting them lower down on the fender below the plate is an option but it seems a bit more vulnerable to damage there. Moreover, I think the closer you can mount something like this to eye-level the more effective the light would be. Finding the Feniex Cobra T3 not only solved these concerns but it also has a few other things going for it over the Whelens.

Feniex Cobra T3 LED Surface Mount. You can read the specs in the link but the biggest attributes for me was the smaller size allowing for higher placement, built in brake light function (eliminating the need for the additional flasher), matte black aluminum mounting plate (as opposed to Whelen's gloss black plastic bezel) and five year warranty. And what might be the best thing it's got going for it, the cost of these lights are about $30 compared to at least double that for the Whelens before buying the required flasher.

Size comparison of Feniex Cobra T3 vs Whelen LIN3:

P1010795.jpg

P1010793.jpg

Perfect fit under the plate lamp. What I neglected to photograph was the fairly easy wiring run from behind this light to under the seat. If I'm remembering right you only have to drill one hole on the outside and then you'll find pre-existing holes to bring the wires through. I ran mine up to the side panel where the bundle was easier to access and splice into.

P1010802.jpg

If you did squeeze the Whelen in here it would block the plate lamp. The Cobra T3's smaller size leaves the lamp unobstructed. Also note the pretty close color match to the FJR's plastic.

P1010803.jpg

One thing I've always liked about the Hyper Lites was how, when mounted on either side of the plate, they make the rear of the bike seem wider. At the above NERDS gathering I saw one rider went even further and mounted those on the outside of the plate reflector bracket which looked even better. With this in mind, and for the $30 price tag, I started thinking about where else I could make use of the T3s.

P1010797.jpg

One on each side? Probably too much in brake mode but they can be set as tail-lamps only and also in a half-power mode. Maybe someday when I'm looking for something to do.

P1010799.jpg

Speaking of the Brake mode, one downside for some may be the inability to choose different brake flash patterns. The unit only offers three quick flashes followed by a steady on. Release the brake, grab it, and it'll cycle again. If you would want four or five flashes and at maybe a slower rate, then you'd have to go with the additional flasher and set it up like the Whelen. The link above has three videos in it with the second/middle one giving a good overview of the light. That link also advertises some places where you can buy these. I picked mine up here, a place fairly close to me, but I suppose any local buff shop should be able to get them.

Good luck and happy flashing.

Mikerider, no idea how they compare, but we went on a ride last weekend and I got pulled aside by a guy who had been behind me for a bit. He loved my Whelen LIN3. They're only like $59 and it's a Hellavua light.

Thanks, but I knew, because I have the LIN 3 too :)

Just wondering how the T3 compared. I like its smaller size and half the price of the LIN 3 if it has the same brightness :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HotRodZilla" data-cid="1333992" data-time="1472521263"><p>

Mikerider, no idea how they compare, but we went on a ride last weekend and I got pulled aside by a guy who had been behind me for a bit. He loved my Whelen LIN3. They're only like $59 and it's a Hellavua light.</p></blockquote>

How does the T3's brightness compare to LIN 3? Thanks.
Subjectively? I think they're pretty close. I stood back out of the garage and stared at it while someone kept pulling the lever and couldn't convince myself I saw a difference. Asked a long-time riding friend who's ridden behind me for many miles and he thought it was just as effective. And like 'Zilla, I had a couple of people ask me about it at the last gathering. That said, I haven't done a side-by-side of two Gen IIIs with the two lights mounted in exactly the same position. Nor have I compared the spec sheets to see if one is technically brighter than the other.

Now I also want to make clear that I have nothing bad to say at all about the LIN3s. Put them on three other bikes and absolutely loved them. Matter of fact, I anticipated putting another on my '15 but thought with all the advances in LEDs since I last bought one I'd first check to see what designs Whelen might have came out with since e.g. smaller, brighter, etc. I just sorta stumbled on the Feniex display and thought for half the price and not having to buy the additional flasher I'd give it a try. So far I've got no complaints.

I just got a discount code from www.swps.com. LABORDAY2016 will get you 5% off. That seems like a strange number to me, but, whatever. A discount is a discount, and they have the lights we're talking about. I've bought from them a few times, and they're always cool.

I actually have the Fenix t6 in the empty space between the plate and the regular lights. Big Ogre has seen it I think. The older models are cheaper but don't have the steady burn as the newest model does. I thought I wanted a steady burn, but changed my mind. Mine is a slow then fat flash. No one has rear ended me yet, so I suppose it works. It's plenty bright and no complaints from other bikers.