What's the best brake light modulator?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread just cost SWMBO $34.99 for a red T3. Going to already have some things torn apart for its first annual check-up.

Does it have a mode that flashes a few times then stays steady?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Norumbega" data-cid="1334436" data-time="1472695020"><p>

I've used this module on three bikes now, both as a stand alone unit using the various strobe modes (see video) and as a steady on unit controlled my the modulator in my previous post. It's BRIGHT and waterproof.<a href='https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-fixtures/6-watt-vehicle-strobe-lighthead/1547/'>https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-fixtures/6-watt-vehicle-strobe-lighthead/1547/</a></p></blockquote>

The strobe module itself contains a control chip offering 18-20 different patterns (see video on their web page) which include steady on but none that flash and then stay on. Pity.

The $5 controller did offer that pattern so I set my strobe unit to steady on and tried letting the $5 controller run the show. This almost worked.

The first fast flashes don't work that way but the following, slightly longer flashes and the steady on finish work fine. The panel is VERY bright so I left it that way on my BMW's. My stock brake light comes on as normal with the strobe flashing at medium speed just a tiny bit later with everything on at the end.

I'm about to install one on my FJ (watch for mounting details with photos in a few days) and will use the strobe head in its rapidly modulating (not flashing) mode full time without the $5 controller. If a LEO questions this, I will apologize profusely and switch it to steady on right there and then...for a while.

Once rear ended, twice wise!

Last edited by a moderator:
My method for mounting the SUPERBRIGHT LED strobe head as an auxiliary brake light:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-fixtures/6-watt-vehicle-strobe-lighthead/1547/

The strobe kit is in two pieces, a base and the strobe head itself. I get a piece of sheet metal ($.75 galvanized framing junction plate at Home Depot, just the right size!) spray it black and mount the strobe base to it flush to the bottom edge with four bolts, drilling a hole for the wires to pass through to the back. I also spray the colored wires and nuts black. The strobe head snaps solidly into the base. I then apply heavy duty 3M outdoor double sided foam tape (also Home Depot) to the plate above the strobe, facing back. I stick the whole assembly to the back of my license plate with the strobe centered on the bottom edge of the license plate, facing back, automatically at just the right angle, parallel to the plate. All you see is the license plate with the strobe hanging in space right at its bottom edge. The mounting plate is invisible.

Very solid and it looks factory, requiring no mods to the bike. It can be removed without a trace. Just disconnect the wires and remove the license plate. Pretty neat!

Then two years later . . .
I came across another auxiliary brake light option earlier this year and took a chance on it, doing the install on my new 2015. So far it has seen about 10k miles with no issues and after getting a few inquiries about it at a recent NERDS gathering, thought it might be worth sharing.

As I posted earlier in this thread I've been a big fan of the Whelen LIN3/TIR3 setup documented here but, like others, discovered that due to some changes in the rear of the Gen IIIs these lights don't fit as neatly as they previously did. Specifically, on my Gen I I had them installed in the space directly under the taillights however this space no longer exists on the new bikes. Mounting them lower down on the fender below the plate is an option but it seems a bit more vulnerable to damage there. Moreover, I think the closer you can mount something like this to eye-level the more effective the light would be. Finding the Feniex Cobra T3 not only solved these concerns but it also has a few other things going for it over the Whelens.

Feniex Cobra T3 LED Surface Mount. You can read the specs in the link but the biggest attributes for me was the smaller size allowing for higher placement, built in brake light function (eliminating the need for the additional flasher), matte black aluminum mounting plate (as opposed to Whelen's gloss black plastic bezel) and five year warranty. And what might be the best thing it's got going for it, the cost of these lights are about $30 compared to at least double that for the Whelens before buying the required flasher.

Size comparison of Feniex Cobra T3 vs Whelen LIN3:

P1010795.jpg

P1010793.jpg

Perfect fit under the plate lamp. What I neglected to photograph was the fairly easy wiring run from behind this light to under the seat. If I'm remembering right you only have to drill one hole on the outside and then you'll find pre-existing holes to bring the wires through. I ran mine up to the side panel where the bundle was easier to access and splice into.

P1010802.jpg

If you did squeeze the Whelen in here it would block the plate lamp. The Cobra T3's smaller size leaves the lamp unobstructed. Also note the pretty close color match to the FJR's plastic.

P1010803.jpg

One thing I've always liked about the Hyper Lites was how, when mounted on either side of the plate, they make the rear of the bike seem wider. At the above NERDS gathering I saw one rider went even further and mounted those on the outside of the plate reflector bracket which looked even better. With this in mind, and for the $30 price tag, I started thinking about where else I could make use of the T3s.

P1010797.jpg

One on each side? Probably too much in brake mode but they can be set as tail-lamps only and also in a half-power mode. Maybe someday when I'm looking for something to do.

P1010799.jpg

Speaking of the Brake mode, one downside for some may be the inability to choose different brake flash patterns. The unit only offers three quick flashes followed by a steady on. Release the brake, grab it, and it'll cycle again. If you would want four or five flashes and at maybe a slower rate, then you'd have to go with the additional flasher and set it up like the Whelen. The link above has three videos in it with the second/middle one giving a good overview of the light. That link also advertises some places where you can buy these. I picked mine up here, a place fairly close to me, but I suppose any local buff shop should be able to get them.

Good luck and happy flashing.

I bought and mounted the Feniex T3 in the same location under the license plate light but on my Suzuki GSX650F. Looks factory and I have it set for the 3 quick flashes and then steady on. Its small size does offer a few more situations where it can be used vs other larger lights. Highly recommended. On my wife's bike, she has the Skenes mounted and the work very well.

Keyf

I would buy my admore light bar again in a heartbeat. Plug and play. No splice, no positap. It is very bright. But the Whelen and similar heads are what we use on work cars for a reason. If you've seen something dim on a police car, it wasn't them. I wouldn't hesitate to use either if it came with a harness like the admore did.