What's the big "Gen1" Deal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good synopsis, Iggy, but let me add a last chapter to that PDP story.

2005 owners had it a bit easier with two year of bass boat blue pleasure and few even found spare inventory around from people that had bailed and forfeited their $500.
Indeed. Some of us had by then seen the new and beautiful '05 blue in Yamaha ads online and knew that this was what we had wet dreams about. E.g., the '97 Honda Blackbird I owned was a rocket ship, but how to make into a touring machine while preserving the best of its GT sportiness? Seemed that Yamaha's ads answered that, but with the daunting PDP program still in place early in the dawn of the '05's introduction.

Then, in the early days of 2005, because enough dauntless PDP adventurers had finally demonstrated to MamaYama that this bike was gaining demand here, another PDP was permitted. But this time, some dealers got wise and ordered the second wave of '05 PDPs using dealership personnel as the ostensible PDP depositors to get a few on the showroom floor.

And that's what happened to me. I had never seen an FJR in the flesh (only on the internet or in a mag) when I walked into a dealership in Carson City to purchase a rear tire for my tire eating Honda. And there on the floor was what turned out to be my FJR. That was April 8, 2005, and I had closed escrow on the sale of my house a week earlier. That visit was part of my duties in keeping my nursey GF out of her house on her birthday to facilitate a birthday dinner party surprise her daughter had planned for her. Later, over the dinner her daughter had prepared, the FJR came up in conversation, and it was my GF who insisted that I could afford and should buy the FJR if I really wanted one that badly. So, at 9 am the next morning we went back, and I saw two FJRs on the road (my first such siting) a quarter mile from the dealership. It was surely a sign from God, and when I saw someone sitting on my FJR on the showroom floor, I went directly to the sales manager. My '05 came home with me the following Friday, on my birthday.

So, mine was one of the small flock of late '05s that were actually PDPs, but in which the buying experience was essentially the same as buying one out of dealer inventory.

Should add that due to the efforts of early Gen I owners in documenting the problem and bringing it to Yamaha's attention (Warchild most prominently), those Gen Is that were tickers (developed premature exhaust valve guide wear) were mostly all repaired by Yamaha for free. On mine, that was at 28K miles (after having it diagnosed around 24K), so I essentially got half a new head job and the first valve inspect/adjust done on Yamaha's dime.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen I never had a problem with the coolant temperature. .......
This SO going in the Comparison Matrix. Thanks!
smile.png

For fairness I invite a representative from each of the other Gen's to write their own version...via PM.

So, mine was one of the small flock of late '05s that were actually PDPs, but in which the buying experience was essentially the same as buying one out of dealer inventory.
Mine was similar in that I didn't quite demonstrate the same level of intestinal fortitude of the true PDP Tribe, however I did have to hunt down and call 18 different dealers in the PNW area before I found one for sale. One even promised one was there and changed their tune hours before I drop 180 miles to get it. Going into a dealer and being able to sit on a '14, a '13, and maybe even a leftover Gen 2...or ride one on a test ride still seems a bit weird.

For fairness I invite a representative from each of the other Gen's to write their own version.

Highly unlikely.. gen ll owners don't have the smarts!
lol.gif

"For fairness I invite a representative from each of the other Gen's to write their own version."

lol.gif
+1, Gunny; this is why Bustanut joker is the smartest man on our FJR Forum, if dcarver sends in his version you can bet it'll be written with a Crayola! JSNS!

crayola-anti-roll-crayons-2.jpg

"For fairness I invite a representative from each of the other Gen's to write their own version."

lol.gif
+1, Gunny; this is why Bustanut joker is the smartest man on our FJR Forum, if dcarver sends in his version you can bet it'll be written with a Crayola! JSNS!

crayola-anti-roll-crayons-2.jpg

Why do your crayons have a flat side??

Going into a dealer and being able to sit on a '14, a '13, and maybe even a leftover Gen 2...or ride one on a test ride still seems a bit weird.
Bwahahaha! A test ride on a new Gen I??? It would be interesting to hear whether that EVER happened.

Here we are a dozen model years after the first FJRs were on the ground in Europe, and with only a few changes, this bike is still THE sport touring platform to own and going strong into the future.

I'm harumphing Ionbeams post. He nailed.

That being said, I have both a Gen 1 and a Gen III. The Gen III wins hands down. But if it didn't exist, I'd still be looking for a Gen 1.

I don't want a bike that really tries with all its might be a toaster oven.

I got 3 words for ya: Galaxy Blue, baby! Can't get it any where but Gen1. As for refinements of the POS gen2, I don't need 50 extra lbs to be able to see what gear I'm in, or what the air temp is. I can count to 5 and don't need a digital display to tell me "it's hot", "it's cold", "it's juuust right". The refined spider system of grounding is another refinement I don't need.

Oh yeah, did I mention Bass Bote......errr..Galaxy Blue????

rolleyes.gif

Gen I superior? Yeah, ok, and Harley's are the only real motorcycles, Tofu is better than steak, and our current administration is the most transparent in US history.

Signed,

owner/rider of all 3 Gens to the tune of 190,000+ miles

bike.gif

I got 3 words for ya: Galaxy Blue, baby! Can't get it any where but Gen1. As for refinements of the POS gen2, I don't need 50 extra lbs to be able to see what gear I'm in, or what the air temp is. I can count to 5 and don't need a digital display to tell me "it's hot", "it's cold", "it's juuust right". The refined spider system of grounding is another refinement I don't need.Oh yeah, did I mention Bass Bote......errr..Galaxy Blue????

rolleyes.gif
Cooler balls are nice on a Gen II.

I got 3 words for ya: Galaxy Blue, baby! Can't get it any where but Gen1. As for refinements of the POS gen2, I don't need 50 extra lbs to be able to see what gear I'm in, or what the air temp is. I can count to 5 and don't need a digital display to tell me "it's hot", "it's cold", "it's juuust right". The refined spider system of grounding is another refinement I don't need.Oh yeah, did I mention Bass Bote......errr..Galaxy Blue????

rolleyes.gif
Cooler balls are nice on a Gen II.
That would be assuming Gen II riders had them.
lol2.gif
Sorry, a door opened and.............

Why do your crayons have a flat side??
There was a 20% off sale?
Those there pointy ends are used by fellers like mcatrophy 'n Fred W, the blunt ends are for Bust' 'n Beemer. Non discriminatory, equal opportunity writin' sticks.
laugh.png
Dudes, I can tell you guys don't own boats. Crayola makes the flat sided crayons so they won't roll off of a table, like when I am underway on the water with our 26' power boat at Lake Havasu/Colorado River and Donna's Grandchildren are drawing away at the deck table in their coloring books. jes' sayin' and nuff said!