wheatonFJR's Inaugural Appalacian FJR Camping Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike Show @Asheville Airport Ag. Center

This is something new and the promoters hope to make it an annual event. It runs from May 13, thru May 16, Sunday. It is being set up now. It is at the Asheville Ag (agricultural) Center which is directly across from the Asheville Airport. Yamaha and Big Dog are already set up and are offering demo rides...the same show they provided at Bikeweek. I don't know what other bike companies will be in attendance but there are supposed to be lots of vendors and organized rides. Wheels Through Time is participating and they will be open all 4 days and will have music and food there.

I hate to say it,but it looks like I'm going to have to miss this one...having some bike problems.

Have fun down there.

I hate to say it,but it looks like I'm going to have to miss this one...having some bike problems.
Have fun down there.
awww Denny...any way you can work it out today? I'm not leaving until tomorrow am and arriving Friday night...so you still have some time to work it out. :clapping:

If not, we'll look forward to riding with you next time around...maybe in SE OH..your home stomping grounds.

And a good time was had by all! Awesome trip, new/awesome friends, and really awesome riding...we just got back home ourselves. I'll post up our photos later when everything's unpacked. We had some rain here or there, but it really didn't detract from the riding at all. A good number of us hit the Dragon/Cherohala on Friday and it looks like Killboy got some good shots! Did the BRP south on Saturday. Nobody in the group had any accidents that I heard of although a couple were "kicked off" the Dragon for being naughty, lol.

I'm very proud of my wife; it was her first long trip and her first 2up experience with the Dragon (only did it in a car before). She stuck with me like glue through the whole thing and had her eyes open most of the time. :D We dragged the pegs a number of times, but she didn't freak. The best part was once we did it once, we had to do it again thanks to the closure, lol. It was an amusement park for bikes and sports cars...

I want to give a shout out to Bob (Intech), Janet (his wife), and Steve (BMW bro)...we rode in together and pretty much grouped it the whole time there...fantastic riding.....and, uh, drinking, lol! And of course, it was a pleasure meeting everyone else there (Mike, Will, Jay, etc)! Looking forward to NAFO...or another camp meet! :D

Let it never be said that Mike had no story to tell....

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine what the story about his hungover, cigar overdosed, sinus infected ride home will be! (He didn't look good this morning)

Was great meeting you and Kate Scott, We will definitely have to do it again. (and it's "Janet" BTW)

Imagine what the story about his hungover, cigar overdosed, sinus infected ride home will be! (He didn't look good this morning)

Was great meeting you and Kate Scott, We will definitely have to do it again. (and it's "Janet" BTW)
When we left, his tent was still up. :D Guess another story is born...

Hey y'all it was a blast!

P5150002.jpg

Not one picture yet.................you mean bastards.
Hey never let it be said were not mean mountain riding beer drinking sumsabiznitches!

Here's the Cdn beer train preparing to run Rte 16 between Tazwell and Marion VA.

IMG_0536.jpg

It was so good Moosehead had to run it twice.

This warning sign was about 5 miles from the campground

IMG_0572.jpg

There was a similar sign ON the road to BRMC.

But there was a downside.. this bastard even has a road named after him!

IMG_0569.jpg

More pics and full ride report to follow.

That's only strike 1 Pierre, you still have 2 more. Glad to hear you landed safely. Fixing a tire on the shoulder of the 401 in the rain would be very interesting to say the least.
well strike two came when i stopped for gas in ashville on my way to boone. paid up and then wtf no power, no lights, needles, nothing, nada. tore the plastic off and checked all fuses with no obvious problems. could get a very intermittant surge ( needles go haywire) with ignition "off" and rubbing black wire connector to battery post. call AAA and my CAA Plus (which has mc coverage) is not valid in NC; you need rv plus for mc towing. do a cash tow 55$USD to a wonderful dealer in ashville MR Motorcycles who tells me he'll check the battery but he'll bet that its a busted ignition. he tries to see if there is a recall on my03 and yamaha usa wont recognize a canadian vin so no help officially. and he has none in stock anyway. but the wonderful tech (seriously) says he has jury rigged such ignition by inserting an ATV ignition in the circuit. which he did and voila i have power. I tie tag the new switch beside the old one, get 2 ATV keys, pay the man and i'm on my way (3 hours later after i reinstall all the tupperware). I got to boone KOA 30 minutes after a horrendous mountain rainstorm which caught me in bumper to bumper traffic jam in downtown boone in construction without my rainsuit on!!!!! my sense of humor was severly dampened :(

Sorry to hear about that but glad you are back on the road. Contact me when you get home an I'll let you know what I did to resolve that exact same problem.

Ride safe,

Canadian FJR

Topping off the tanks and quenching thirsts after a dreadfully boring slab from Greensboro to Asheville. Yes, we had a BMW in our midst, lol (Steve)

IMG_0597.jpg

My wife, Kate, standing at the barricades at the Dragon closure...some of us felt it not important to go to the end, lol. ;) JK!!!

IMG_0603.jpg

Our little gang taking a break on the Cherohala.

IMG_0608.jpg

BRMC getting crowded!

IMG_0609.jpg

Our gang parked at the Mt. Pisgah Inn to have some lunch. It later rained on us as we went south on the BRP, but it cleared up nicely.

IMG_0614.jpg

Preparing to chow down at the Mt. Pisgah Inn

IMG_0621.jpg

I'll have more later...gotta get the wife's two camera's unloaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom & I made it back to Canuckistan, 864 miles, Phew! Tom took us off the interstate for a final bit of twisties on 19 and then the final long slab back.

I will post up some pics when I get a chance. It's a little cooler up here, about 45f.

I had a GREAT time. Thanks Wheattie for setting this up. It was a fantastic spot and the riding was supreme.

While I was riding and listening to tunes I thought this quote from a Jackson Brown song was very appropriate: "We have time to think of the ones we love while the miles roll away, the only time that seems to short is the time that we get to play"

And I actually got to meet the infamous F*** You Bob.

Mike

back home just a little after Mike Left at 7:45 am got home at 1:33am (the next day)

If it happens again next year... I might just have to join in!

That's only strike 1 Pierre, you still have 2 more. Glad to hear you landed safely. Fixing a tire on the shoulder of the 401 in the rain would be very interesting to say the least.
do a cash tow 55$USD to a wonderful dealer in ashville MR Motorcycles who tells me he'll check the battery but he'll bet that its a busted ignition. he tries to see if there is a recall on my03 and yamaha usa wont recognize a canadian vin so no help officially. and he has none in stock anyway. but the wonderful tech (seriously) says he has jury rigged such ignition by inserting an ATV ignition in the circuit. which he did and voila i have power. I tie tag the new switch beside the old one, get 2 ATV keys, pay the man and i'm on my way (3 hours later after i reinstall all the tupperware). I got to boone KOA 30 minutes after a horrendous mountain rainstorm which caught me in bumper to bumper traffic jam in downtown boone in construction without my rainsuit on!!!!! my sense of humor was severly dampened :(
That was for me that the tech wired the ATV switch. Worked like a champ all the way back to RI. I still carry the switch with me! Great guys at MR cycles.