Which throttle lock works for you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi to all

I have been seriously think about some form of throttle lock and as we know there are plenty of options out there ie Vista,ThrottleMeister etc.Which of you guys have one on your FJR and can recommend.

Regards

Gazza

Gazza, there's a ton of threads on this subject already. I'd suggest doing some reading up vs started a new thread.

Here's a link to my install, there are quite a few of them in the various threads... it's kind of a "take yer pick type of thing".

My Install

Good luck with it.

I'd personally never use a throttle lock - way too arbitrary.

Cruise control is adaptive and is the route I went . . . I'd never go back to a mechnical device.

I used a Brake Away for a while and it worked good but they are not very cheap. Then I switched to a cruise control and it works so much better I would never go back to a throttle lock...

I picked up a second hand Throttlemeister for a great price and it works for me. Not as easy to engage as a Vista Cruise or similar style, but not hard either, looks better and serves it's purpose. Cruise control would be nice, but is too pricey these days for me.

For about $20, get one of these until you get a real cruise control. I've used mine for the last 5k miles and works good as long as you understand the limits of any throttle lock. It installs in about 5 seconds.

img0759q.jpg

You can find it here: https://www.2wheelride.com/

Edited twice because I can't spell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a vista cruise for when I just need to free my right hand up for a few seconds. For anything longer than that a true cruise control is the only way to go.

PhilJet, thanks for posting up the Pic. I was wondering if that throttle lock would work with the handguards. I am going to get one of them as well just in case.

Trigger, it's close. I probably have about 3/16" clearance, so it may depend on how much carving you did to fit the bar end.

I've only used Throttlemiester and Vista-Cruise. I prefer the Vista-Cruise. For me it's easier(safer) to engage-disengage. Not as pretty as TM but to me functionality is more important. YMMV

Hi to all

I have been seriously think about some form of throttle lock and as we know there are plenty of options out there ie Vista,ThrottleMeister etc.Which of you guys have one on your FJR and can recommend.

Regards

Gazza
I went with the Brake away.

For about $20, get one of these until you get a real cruise control. I've used mine for the last 5k miles and works good as long as you understand the limits of any throttle lock. It installs in about 5 seconds.

img0759q.jpg

Where did you get your hand gaurds? They look nice but I dont know if they will work with my Kuryakyn grips.

My bike came with a Vista Cruise but I'm not really happy with it, I can't find the sweet spot so that it holds the throttle in place when "on" and allows free movement when "off". As it is now it allows the throttle to slowly creep down but it's good enough to let me take my right hand off the grip and flex it for 10-15 seconds before there is a significant reduction in speed.

If I get into more serious LD riding I will probably go the cruise control route.

img0759q.jpg

Got this type as well....also with the handguards. It works ok, but for me, it's only a very temporary solution as it seems to slip pretty quick. That being said, it DOES work better than the BrakeAway it replaced. ;)

I'd like to add an electronic cruise control next year sometime.

My bike came with a Vista Cruise but I'm not really happy with it, I can't find the sweet spot so that it holds the throttle in place when "on" and allows free movement when "off". As it is now it allows the throttle to slowly creep down but it's good enough to let me take my right hand off the grip and flex it for 10-15 seconds before there is a significant reduction in speed.

If I get into more serious LD riding I will probably go the cruise control route.
raitchison, I'm not trying to talk you into keeping yer vista cruise. If you want a cruise control, then by all means, get one.

But, the vista cruise does have an adjustment on it and it sounds like yours simply needs adjustment? On the other hand, it may be the way it's attached and thats keeping it from being adjusted correctly.

When they are working properly you most assuredly can take you hand off and maintain a steady speed, assuming yer not going up a hill or down, of course.

I like mine very much and would never go to the expense and difficulty of a CC... but that's just me... to each his own.

I have a vista cruise for when I just need to free my right hand up for a few seconds. For anything longer than that a true cruise control is the only way to go.

PhilJet, thanks for posting up the Pic. I was wondering if that throttle lock would work with the handguards. I am going to get one of them as well just in case.
+1 Vista Cruise, for taking a break for a brief time during long rides!

raitchison, I'm not trying to talk you into keeping yer vista cruise. If you want a cruise control, then by all means, get one.

But, the vista cruise does have an adjustment on it and it sounds like yours simply needs adjustment? On the other hand, it may be the way it's attached and thats keeping it from being adjusted correctly.

When they are working properly you most assuredly can take you hand off and maintain a steady speed, assuming yer not going up a hill or down, of course.

I like mine very much and would never go to the expense and difficulty of a CC... but that's just me... to each his own.
Yeah it's an adjustment thing, I tried tightening it because it would not hold the throttle in place, I ended up tightening it enough that it impeded my ability to work the throttle when it was "off", so I backed it off just until I could no longer feel like the throttle was being interfered with. Now most (but not all) the time when I have it "on" it does allow the throttle to creep down, I'll go from ~60MPH to ~50MPH in 10 or so seconds. Still it's enough for me to work the cramps out of my hand or stick it in the air stream for a bit.

Installing a full-on cruise control does seem like quite an undertaking, I'll probably wait until (unless) I start doing more serious LD rides to see if it's something I feel is worthwhile.

I just did a 1k weekend with this...

i ordered it with the extra rubber ring, and i'm glad i did.

it's not my favorite solution, but it works.

with a little practice, in setting it, it will hold speed and for $20, you can't beat it.

ymmv...

img0759q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: