Wicked Webby's Recipe for Great HP and Torque!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't be getting a new custom map done for the air box mods now on my 05 FJR. I sold the 05 bike today and bought a new 08 FJR :yahoo: . So now I will be doing the same air box mods on the 08 after the break in. This mod is just to simple and effective not to do on the new bike. Sorry guys I hoped to shed some light on whether the power commander would produce as good a result as the barbarian jumper mod on my 05 but it is not to be. I expect I will be doing the same mods to the 08 though, it will just take a little longer.
Jstewart,

Congrats on your new 08!!

WW

I won't be getting a new custom map done for the air box mods now on my 05 FJR. I sold the 05 bike today and bought a new 08 FJR :yahoo: . So now I will be doing the same air box mods on the 08 after the break in. This mod is just to simple and effective not to do on the new bike. Sorry guys I hoped to shed some light on whether the power commander would produce as good a result as the barbarian jumper mod on my 05 but it is not to be. I expect I will be doing the same mods to the 08 though, it will just take a little longer.
Jstewart,

WW
Thanks WW. Now I have to figure out who makes a good exhaust system for the 08. Does anyone know if the 06 & 07 exhaust systems are the same as the 08?? I suspect they are because the Two Brothers slip ons have the same part numbers for the 07 & 08. I was more interested in a set of Leo Vince carbon fibre slip ons but they do not list a pt # for the 08. Also has anyone tried the jumper mod on an 08 yet??

Jstewart,

WW
Thanks WW. Now I have to figure out who makes a good exhaust system for the 08. Does anyone know if the 06 & 07 exhaust systems are the same as the 08?? I suspect they are because the Two Brothers slip ons have the same part numbers for the 07 & 08. I was more interested in a set of Leo Vince carbon fibre slip ons but they do not list a pt # for the 08. Also has anyone tried the jumper mod on an 08 yet??
Jstewart,

The 06-08 are all the same for exhaust... There are a lot of good exhausts and a lot of opinions about them. Mine is that the Remus Hexacone's are the best looking (by far) and best sounding (with either the baffles in/out, whichever option you like) and offer proven and great gains!! BUT... Quality doesn't come cheap and they aren't cheap to buy. BUT WORTH IT!!

I have a bunch of pics of my Remus in the link below (in my signature line).

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Jstewart,

WW
Jstewart,

The 06-08 are all the same for exhaust... There are a lot of good exhausts and a lot of opinions about them. Mine is that the Remus Hexacone's are the best looking (by far) and best sounding (with either the baffles in/out, whichever option you like) and offer proven and great gains!! BUT... Quality doesn't come cheap and they aren't cheap to buy. BUT WORTH IT!!

WW
In my experience quality is never cheap WW. The Staintune pipes don't look as good as the Remus or the Leo Vince's but they are top quality & top priced (currently about $850 to $890 a set new). Hell I can buy a full Muzzy 4/1 system for less than I can get good quality slip on sets for. Based on my experience and other ZX-14 owners I just don't care for Muzzy's customer service support :glare: . I thought I would try something different this time. Who did you buy the Remus Hexacones from??

Jstewart,

WW
Jstewart,

WW
In my experience quality is never cheap WW. The Staintune pipes don't look as good as the Remus or the Leo Vince's but they are top quality & top priced (currently about $850 to $890 a set new). Hell I can buy a full Muzzy 4/1 system for less than I can get good quality slip on sets for. Based on my experience and other ZX-14 owners I just don't care for Muzzy's customer service support :glare: . I thought I would try something different this time. Who did you buy the Remus Hexacones from??
Jstewart,

Got my Remus from Maxmoto out there in San Fransisco, California. Got them as part of last year WFO group price. I think they were around

$900 for the pair.

https://www.maxmoto.com/

I dealt with one of the owners directly on the phone last Spring. His name was Knut (not Nut but pronounced Noot.. Don't ask me how I figured this out, the hard way! HAhahahahah!!). Their phone: 415-355-1400. They have very good customer service and I would recommend them to anyone!!

WW

(UPDATE):

OK all as I mentioned before. I discovered a slight limitation with the stock fuel map utilizing the barbarian mod... When I had my CO levels set high enough (rich, +36 all four cylinders) to really compete my friends C14's top speed.. I didn't notice that I had lost a lot of mid range because I could still pull his C14 in the mid range pretty good. It wasn't until recently when I did some side by side runs with my Brothers 06 FJR (with my similar mods, except I only opened up the left side of his air box) that I noticed that my top was still really strong BUT my mid range was too FAT as he could get me in the mid range roll ons. So I leaned my CO levels to +32 and I could pull him in the middle now..

Thus, I realized to maximize all my power gains... Low, Mid and High.. I needed a tuner. I ordered up the Techlusion... Just installed it. Super easy to do! I left my CO levels at +32. Put the 1st dial/pot (low jet) on the Techlusion tuner at the 1 o'clock position (this is setting to be essentially off). I put the 2nd dial/pot (mid accel) on the Techlusion also at 1 o'clock (Left this off too because I have the sweet spot here and don't need anymore fuel). I placed the 3rd dial/pot (main jet/ 70% throttle and above) at the 3 o'clock setting. For now this feels good..I will sniff it later to find out the perfect setting here. I will keep you all informed of my results. I put the 4th dial/pot (fuel slide) at the 5 o'clock position (the 5000 rpm position recommended by Dolbeck/Techlusion). So far so good! More to come.

WW

(UPDATE):
OK all as I mentioned before. I discovered a slight limitation with the stock fuel map utilizing the barbarian mod... When I had my CO levels set high enough (rich, +36 all four cylinders) to really compete my friends C14's top speed.. I didn't notice that I had lost a lot of mid range because I could still pull his C14 in the mid range pretty good. It wasn't until recently when I did some side by side runs with my Brothers 06 FJR (with my similar mods, except I only opened up the left side of his air box) that I noticed that my top was still really strong BUT my mid range was too FAT as he could get me in the mid range roll ons. So I leaned my CO levels to +32 and I could pull him in the middle now..

Thus, I realized to maximize all my power gains... Low, Mid and High.. I needed a tuner. I ordered up the Techlusion... Just installed it. Super easy to do! I left my CO levels at +32. Put the 1st dial/pot (low jet) on the Techlusion tuner at the 1 o'clock position (this is setting to be essentially off). I put the 2nd dial/pot (mid accel) on the Techlusion also at 1 o'clock (Left this off too because I have the sweet spot here and don't need anymore fuel). I placed the 3rd dial/pot (main jet/ 70% throttle and above) at the 3 o'clock setting. For now this feels good..I will sniff it later to find out the perfect setting here. I will keep you all informed of my results. I put the 4th dial/pot (fuel slide) at the 5 o'clock position (the 5000 rpm position recommended by Dolbeck/Techlusion). So far so good! More to come.

WW
Can't leave well enough alone now can ya. You just have to go & wring every last bit of anything out of that poor little engine. ;)

Man, I'm glad you don't live closer, I'd be broke real quick trying to keep up. :dribble:

Hope we can get together soon.

(UPDATE):

WW
Does using the Techlusion require you disconnect the O2 sensor like the power commander does?? Another question--When you say CO settings of +32 do you mean the actual settings are +32 or that you added +32 to one of the original settings? I know you said earlier you decided to set all 4 CO settings at the same level due to the air box mods so I suspect you mean the actual settings on all 4 cylinders are +32 now but I wanted to make sure.

Another thing I noticed on my 08 that is different from the 05. This bike like the 06 & 07 has a gear indicator. I wonder if Yamaha did more with the gear indicator than show you what gear you are in. Kawasaki uses this information to alter the fuel & ignition maps by gear in order to limit the power output in the lower gears (to control the tendency to wheely the bike in the first 2 gears). The 07 & earlier Hyabusas also used the gear indicator output for this purpose. If this is the case with the 06 thru 08 FJR-1300 5th gear probably has the most agressive CPU settings. I purchased a 08 service manual and the 08 bike uses switched ground inputs to the CPU to determine what gear it is in. Using a device called a TRE on my 06 ZX-14 which locks the CPU into thinking the bike is in 6th gear made a substantial difference in the low & mid range torque output and made the bike much more responsive below 6000 RPM's. It didn't affect the peak HP at all just the low & mid-range. The only down side is that you lose the gear indicator (it shows the bike to be in 6th gear all the time except when you are in neutral which still works with the neutral light). I never understood what you need with a gear indicator anyway. I suspect the FJR would work the same way although whether the results would be the same will require testing. Any thoughts on this one WW.

(UPDATE):

WW
Does using the Techlusion require you disconnect the O2 sensor like the power commander does?? Another question--When you say CO settings of +32 do you mean the actual settings are +32 or that you added +32 to one of the original settings? I know you said earlier you decided to set all 4 CO settings at the same level due to the air box mods so I suspect you mean the actual settings on all 4 cylinders are +32 now but I wanted to make sure.

Another thing I noticed on my 08 that is different from the 05. This bike like the 06 & 07 has a gear indicator. I wonder if Yamaha did more with the gear indicator than show you what gear you are in. Kawasaki uses this information to alter the fuel & ignition maps by gear in order to limit the power output in the lower gears (to control the tendency to wheely the bike in the first 2 gears). The 07 & earlier Hyabusas also used the gear indicator output for this purpose. If this is the case with the 06 thru 08 FJR-1300 5th gear probably has the most agressive CPU settings. I purchased a 08 service manual and the 08 bike uses switched ground inputs to the CPU to determine what gear it is in. Using a device called a TRE on my 06 ZX-14 which locks the CPU into thinking the bike is in 6th gear made a substantial difference in the low & mid range torque output and made the bike much more responsive below 6000 RPM's. It didn't affect the peak HP at all just the low & mid-range. The only down side is that you lose the gear indicator (it shows the bike to be in 6th gear all the time except when you are in neutral which still works with the neutral light). I never understood what you need with a gear indicator anyway. I suspect the FJR would work the same way although whether the results would be the same will require testing. Any thoughts on this one WW.
jstewart,

What I like about the Techlusion tuner is that you can use it with the 02 hooked up or disconnected. The 02 sensor is only self tuning in the low level rpms.. So you can leave it hooked up and just set the Techlusion Tuners 1st dial to the 1 o'clock position(that turns the idle/low jet override function off). I should of been clearer... +32 is the actual CO setting. All four cylinders are set the same.

My thoughts on the TRE thing is that they work really well, if you need them. A lot of them now come with their own gear indicator as an option. The FJR has no CPU specific gear restrictions. So you won't need one.

I did do quite a few "tuning" runs with my Brother and his 06 tonight. It seems that I am able to have the best of both Worlds with the Techlusion tuner!! I found the following settings to be best for road testing (without sniffing it pre-cat yet). Set all four of my Cylinders at +33. The following were my settings on my Techlusion tuner.. Dial #1 (1 o'clock), Dial #2 (1 o'clock), Dial #3 (2 o'clock), Dial #4 (5 o'clock).

With this setup I was able to pull my Brother's hopped up 06 (He has my recipe for Hp/Tq dialed in.. Except he only has his left side of his box opened up.. His Setup is this.. Remus Hexacones, baffles out, Barbarian Mod +32 on all four cylinders, Left side of his box wide open like mine). It should be noted that our bikes were still close. I could pull him only a couple bike lengths in the mid range and on up.. However, we did figure out that I was slightly heavier than him tonight. We both weigh the same. We both had full tanks. Though, both of my bags had stuff in them(extra Helmet and other junk) and I had my Metal Premiere Accessories Touring Rack on the back (has the Givi250 mount plate attached to it also) with the rear passenger backrest on it also. So we speculated with the extra weight and extra wind resistance that backrest gives was most likely playing in my Brother's favor. My Brother's bags were empty. When I got home, I weighed myself and all the extra stuff that was on/in my bike and it added to 12 more lbs. Who knows how much 12lbs does. Probably not a huge difference.

Here is a big plus side to this... My Brothers 06 is still super duper fast!!! If you don't care about 1 or 2 bike lengths (thats all were talking about here) you don't need to do the right side of the air box and you won't need a Techlusion tuner (at least at around 900 elevation).

One more thing I want to mention.. When I was adding more fuel (all around) with just the Barbarian mod +36(all four cylinders)..... My bike had the same awesome power on the top, but suffered in the mid range from too much fuel there BUT... It really like the FAT mixture in the low end because it would throttle wheelie around 3 grand with a whack of the throttle.

Thus, I ain't done yet. I still plan to do some more low end tuning. I plan to keep my current mid range settings (smoke'n fast), keep my current top end settings(pulls super hard) and increase my fuel on the low end dial (I want those 3 grand wheelies back too). I will let you all know how it turns out. I have to wait till I have the bike wide band 02 sniffed before I will disconnect the 02 sensor and dial in the low end. Then I will leave my 02 sensor disconnected.

Thats all I got for now!

WW

:yahoo: Good information, thanks. I ended up using my Staintune pipes off the 05 again. They fit the 08 perfectly

and for some reason look better on this bike. With the baffles removed they are wide open all the way through.

Anyway I decided to try them on this bike instead of selling them and spending 4 to 5 hundred more to get another

set of slip ons. I am going to do the basic air box mods, install my K&N filter and do the barbarian mod this weekend

on the 08. I really like this bike more than the 05. Many improvements.

Webby, any chance you would make a little ~150 mile ride up to Brainerd International Raceway and make a pass or two on a Wednesday evening when they have street racing nights? A time slip or two will really show how and where all your new and improved power is being made.

I guarantee you will have fun!

Webby, any chance you would make a little ~150 mile ride up to Brainerd International Raceway and make a pass or two on a Wednesday evening when they have street racing nights? A time slip or two will really show how and where all your new and improved power is being made.
Ionbeam,

I would love to do the street racing up at BIR!!

Gramps,

Yes, indeed. We need to get together again... This time on Hwy 60. Give me a call sometime.

WW

Ionbeam,

I would love to do the street racing up at BIR!!

Gramps,

Yes, indeed. We need to get together again... This time on Hwy 60. Give me a call sometime.

WW
Today I installed new spark plugs and did a TB sync. Then, I cut 2" off the snorkel & put all the other air box plastic & side cover back on. When restarted, I had to re-adjust the TB sync because the levels dropped in 1 & 2 (more noticeable in 1.) It also seemed easier to adjust. I left the Techlusion set to my prior settings (close to the FJR recommended settings) since I didn't have the time to play with it.

I respect everyone's right to play with their stuff in their own sandbox....

Nevertheless, there's a lot of information in this thread that reinforces my decision to no longer buy used motorcycles. :grin:

Then, of course, there are the emissions issues that we all hope will go away.... :cryingsmiley:

I respect everyone's right to play with their stuff in their own sandbox....
Nevertheless, there's a lot of information in this thread that reinforces my decision to no longer buy used motorcycles. :grin:

Then, of course, there are the emissions issues that we all hope will go away.... :cryingsmiley:
Modifying your ride is part of the sport of motorcycling for many. My bike would pass emissions with a few turns of the DFO screws with the O2 sensor re-connected. Some people never do anything to their bikes. I bought my FJR used, mint condition with 3,200 miles for 5 grand less than new. It even had the stickers still on it.

This is in the technical forum section after all, not never ending threads (at least not yet.) So, I thought it was interesting the effect of cutting that 2 inches off showed up on the vacuume gauge. I cut the snorkel on my Royal Star and it was fine for 10 years. (I cut that one for the cool rip noise it made on the intake & it also had 4 into 4 straight pipes.) Rain would be my concern for a serious WW type air box mod, but each is own. If WW has a problem, hopefully he would admit it and post a result. I would. There is more protection on the FJR intake than other bikes but I'll pull the covers and check the k&N filter after my first ride through a serious downpour. If I do not like the results, later I will buy a new $15 part and post my results/opinion here. Except for the cut snorkel and aftermarket filter, the box is stock with all other covers on it.

Plus 1000 on that Dave!

Ok, All ...

Another update..

I have had my bike modified like this for a little over 4000 miles. Have road in light rain to Heavy rain on more occasions than I would like to remember. Never had any problems with the H20. After a couple of long rides in heavier rain, I actually pulled my side panels to see if the KnN filters (the red oil will show water drops or marks as it does when you wash them.. Before re-oiling) showed any evidence of getting wet.. Haven't seen any yet.

On a side note... At 3000 miles these flat style KnN filters were definitely doing some air cleaning!! They looked like they were starting to get dirty. This prompted me to clean them and re-charge them (oil). Though, I suspect it was a not quite needed yet. I suspect that the longest I would go between cleaning and re-charging them would be 6000 miles (every other oil change). I did also, add 4 more nuts and bolts on my right side air filter / frame and assembly. As you recall I screwed and bolted it in the four corners through my air box like so:

insiderightbox.jpg

Well, I added four more screws and bolts because it was so simple to clean the air filter without removing it (better air sealing tightness piece of mind). Shown below with the red dots:

insiderightboxnewscrews.jpg

I will be posting back after the weekend. I will be doing my AFR load road tuning with my portable wideband 02 sensor/sniffer tuner this weekend. I plan to disconnect my 02 sensor and tune my bike with all four dials/pots on this AWESOME Dobeck Techlusion TFI tuner!!

More to come,

WW