Wicked Webby's Recipe for Great HP and Torque!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Wicked, have you done any 0 to 60 or quarter mile runs with this system?
No, not officially at least. So much of those times are rider ability and how much clutch your willing to burn off when you feather it off the line. Many moons ago, I spent some time on the track. Though, I have never done any drag strip stuff. I will say that my setup runs dead even (1st gear roll-on's from say 10 mph up to top speed) with my good friends modded up C14.. His is piped using a Techlusion tuner also. So I know it does better than the posted 1/4 mi / 0-60 times of the stock C14. Which are impressive numbers for a sport tourer if you ask me.

WW

(update all)

I just finished doing some very fine AFR tuning!! I am very pleased with the results. I used my Innovative LM1 AFR wideband 02 sniffer under load with real World road conditions. It worked awesome!! Better than the dyno. I found that I was a little rich, pretty much everywhere. My best settings I have found are the following:

First, I set my CO levels down to 30 on all Four Cylinders for my best mid range acceleration(road tested against other bikes).

I then set the dial/pot setting positions on my Techlusion tuner as follows:

Dial 1#) 1 o'clock(for best MPG and 5k throttle wheelies) And/Or 1:30 o'clock (for 3k throttle wheelies).

Dial 2#) 1 o'clock.

Dial 3#) 2:15 to 2:30 o'clock (have yet to decide if I need the extra fuel at 2:30).

Dial 4#) 5 o'clock.

See my tuning thread for more details:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...hl=wicked+webby

Ride safe all!

WW

(update all)
I just finished doing some very fine AFR tuning!! I am very pleased with the results. I used my Innovative LM1 AFR wideband 02 sniffer under load with real World road conditions. It worked awesome!! Better than the dyno. I found that I was a little rich, pretty much everywhere. My best settings I have found are the following:

First, I set my CO levels down to 30 on all Four Cylinders for my best mid range acceleration(road tested against other bikes).

Dial 1#) 1 o'clock(for best MPG and 5k throttle wheelies) And/Or 1:30 o'clock (for 3k throttle wheelies).

Dial 2#) 1 o'clock.

Dial 3#) 2:15 to 2:30 o'clock (have yet to decide if I need the extra fuel at 2:30).

Dial 4#) 5 o'clock.

Ride safe all!

WW
Have you been back to the dyno after all the fine tuning? I had my 08 tuned last month on Ryan Schnitz dyno and to be frank I am not impressed. With the less radical air box mod and the power commander tuned for a practically flat 12.8 AFR curve at WOT the bike peaked at 131 HP. It made slightly more HP and a little better curve with the power commander than with the barbarian jumper mod. I suspect the bike needs more air as you found out.

(update all)

Dial 2#) 1 o'clock.

Dial 4#) 5 o'clock.

Ride safe all!

WW
Have you been back to the dyno after all the fine tuning? I had my 08 tuned last month on Ryan Schnitz dyno and to be frank I am not impressed. With the less radical air box mod and the power commander tuned for a practically flat 12.8 AFR curve at WOT the bike peaked at 131 HP. It made slightly more HP and a little better curve with the power commander than with the barbarian jumper mod. I suspect the bike needs more air as you found out.

Jstewart,

I have not been back on the dyno. I am saving the rest of my tire for my Yellowstone trip here in a couple weeks.

Do you have pipes on your bike? I agree that you need to let your bike breath in more AIR!! I stand by my performance discoveries. They have worked great!

WW

Yes I have stainetune pipes with the restrictors removed. The opening size through the mufflers is the same size as the inlet, basically straight through the mufflers (no restriction).

I was actually surprised at how well the barbarian mod works on the 08 without a PC. Ryan was able to clean up the fuel/air ratio especially at the bottom end and at the very top around 8500 to 9000 RPM's. I really haven't had a chance to ride much because of other priorities. I will get back to the FJR when time permits further experimentation with the air box. If I had time I would like to hook up a portable electronic manometer we have at the shop to the airbox where I disconnected the clean air hose to see how negative the inlet pressure goes in the airbox under full load.

Jstewart,

I couldn't believe the substantial change in power on the dyno when I opened up my air box on both sides (the way I did, wide open). I can't recommend it enough!

FYI, On a side note. I found it very easy to clean my K n N filters. I did it at 6000 miles and I will continue on that schedule. I cleaned the left one off of the bike and the right one still attached to the air box. Nothing to it at all!

WW

WW,

I don't know if I missed it, but would you mind tellling me what the CO% you have for the best perfomance? I know OEM settings are about 3.5% CO.

Keep up the Great Work!

WW,
I don't know if I missed it, but would you mind tellling me what the CO% you have for the best perfomance? I know OEM settings are about 3.5% CO.

Keep up the Great Work!
03HiYoSilver,

When I sniffed my bike, I did it pre-cat utilizing the stock 02 sensor bung. I had my Innovative LM1 set for reading the AFR. I have not done any specific CO readings. However, I did notice that my FJR really like to be around the 12.8 AFR mark for best wide open throttle power. How that translates to CO readings, I am unsure.

Hope that helps,

WW

WW,Thanks for the reply...I am not sure how the AFR number translates into the CO% at the header.
03HiYoSilver,

I will mess with some of my logworks program applications. I am sure it has a way to show CO readings instead of AFR. It seems to have all sorts of options. It comes with a couple hundred page PDF instruction manual just for one of the software applications! And it has a dozen or so different programs! I will let you know.

WW

WW,

You don't have to any extra effort on my part. However at the tailpipe, the CO% I believe should run 1.3 -1.5% OEM.

Thanks for your reply and have a great week!

03HiYoSilver,

Well I did a little program research and found that the program works will let me display my results in AFR(14.7) and Lambda(1.0). I haven't found a way to do the exact CO level.

I was thinking though, this might not be that much of a help to you anyways.. Unless you set your bike up exactly as mine (You Should!) and were close to the same elevation. The reason I say this is because your bike CO levels vary widely on the fuel inputs and air inputs. If your have too much fuel or not enough air your CO levels will be elevated.

Take it easy,

WW

BTW, all.. Here is the link to my latest performance test against my Buddies Uncorked C14.....

The reason I am posting this is to point out a tuning issue I have run into with my FJR.. Very common amongst performance tuners but none the less worth mentioning. More on this a bit later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey when you go to Yellowstone be sure to go through Cody and in the east entrance. I haven't looked up the hwy no. but it is a beautiful road.

:rolleyes: You gonna love that ride to Yellowstone. The long stretches across Wyoming will allow you to really high speed curise. I saw no badge boys except in and close to towns. I came back from our trip to Yellowstone and after seeing all the bikes I had to get another one after not riding for 16 years.