Windshield Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ki4bar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have had an issue with my windshield retraction for a while now. When I retract the windshield it makes a terrible racket like something is binding the whole way down (not one of the rubber pieces either). To begin with it was only the far right (from riders perspective) side being an issue, then it moved to the left as well. I have all the plastics off at the moment because I had to get my header pipe repaired and thought now would be a perfect time to resolve this issue. Initially I thought it was a lack lubrication, but I have just used 2 different types of grease on all 4 runners top and bottom everywhere there is contact with the plastic slide, and it still makes a terrible racket on the retract. Going up it is smooth like it should be. And it happens during the entire height of retraction - I can lower it half way and stop it, then start it again and the 2 outer runners vibrate like no ones business! Seems too early to be having this issue with an 09 with only 9k miles.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thomas

My 03 did the same thing once and I sprayed it good with WD40 at various positions and then ran it up and down for a bit. It is fine now for about a year. Hope you get it figured out.

For what ever it is worth.... My 09 had the same problem.

I tried wd40 first but that did not help much.

So pulled the Tupperware and cleaned all 4 runners and put a thin coat of white lithium grease on then. So far all is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Yamaha may not have properly greased the aluminum channels/tracks on some '09 bikes. The best fix is to remove the tupperware, clean the tracks and re-grease them with a good waterproof grease.

Thanks for the help guys! Even with the new grease it was still chattering until I realized that there might be a reason for the top bracket. So I put that on and tightened everything up with the plastics still off and everything worked well. I guess that top bracket keeps the outer runners from twisting on the retract and it didn't chatter with it installed. There was definitely a lack of grease from Mama Yamaha though.

Thanks again!