Winter riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artistic rider

Reaction score
OK. I need to get this in before Friday. I have a feeling this is dogpile material. Since I plan on riding well into winter this year, thanks to the ural, I need a helmet that won't fog up. Will a snowmobile helmet work when you ride a motorcycle? Does anyone have any experience with them? Yes I have done a search and didn't find to much. Just thinking ahead here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a motorcycle helmet that I use for snowmobiling. I bought a snowmobile shield that fits a HJC helmet which is two layers and it doesn't fog up. Buy one get the best of both worlds. :clapping:

I have an HJC Sy-Max snowmobile helmet that I use every day on my FJR. The difference between the normal motorcycle version and the snowmobile version of the Sy-Max is a double layer insulated shield and a rubber breath-deflector mask that keeps the shield from fogging up when it's cold.

The double layer snowmobile shield is not the best for street riding (lots of wind noise and not as optically clear as a normal shield) so I replaced it with the standard HJC clear shield. The inner breath-deflector mask is just velcro'd in so it's easy to remove. I do sometimes put the mask back in for chilly morning rides to work to keep the shield from fogging up. It works great!

Ed.

I believe that most full face snowmobile helmets are DOT approved making them legal for street use. I've used some that actually have a heated shield that prevents fogging (really to stop frosting up). They are noisier for sure.

I ride in a regular helmet all year round and as long as you are moving you are fine. During the stop I like to get some fresh air.

I would question Snowmobile helmet ability to protect you in a crash on the road. I just think that it would be designed to protect from a different type of impact then on motorcycle. Maybe I am wrong, but once I left Russia I am more inclined to use the right tool for the right job :D

That has reminded me of an old joke. USA spent millions designing a pen that would work in a space, Russia used a pencil :)